It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norway PM: Alarm bells ringing about Anarctic thaw / rising world sea levels

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Norway PM: Alarm bells ringing about Anarctic thaw / rising world sea levels

www.reuters.com

TROLL STATION, Antarctica (Reuters) - Alarm bells are ringing about risks of a quickening thaw of Antarctica that would drive up world sea levels, Norway's Prime Minister said on Sunday after a visit to the icy continent.

Scientists say there are hard-to-quantify chances that newly detected lakes under Antarctica's ice sheets might lubricate a slide towards the oceans, or that climate change could warm southern seas and melt floating sea ice holding back glaciers.

"It is alarming. Alarm bells are ringing. It is irresponsible for decision-makers to ignore these signals," Prime Minister Jen Stoltenberg told Reuters at the end of a two-day visit to Norway's Troll station in east Antarctica.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Man, the earth is definitely doing some weird things. I hope this doesn't escalate. People in high power need to wake up and change our dependencies in a hurry IMHO. And we the consumers need to put pressure on them to do so...

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
Reuters got a typo. His name is not Jen, but Jens. Jen would be a woman's name. Jens Stoltenberg. Just saying...

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   
ok there is something strange about this,

He is the same MP who recently said they were building bunkers underground ready for the end of things.

i believe the topic has been covered here....somewhere.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

He has not been identified as the Politician in question. We still don't know who it was. This is the thread.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 03:30 PM
link   
It's OK, the energy companies will still be funding "studies" and "institutes" dedicated to "debunking" anthropogenic global warming, even as the populations of Amsterdam, New Orleans etc. are donning scuba gear for their morning commutes.

I'd like to point out that I have a personal interest in ensuring this does happen, as right now I am about a mile from the beach up on a hill. A 20m sea level rise would be just about right to make it a lot easier for me to get to the ocean

[edit on 1/20/08 by xmotex]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellmutt

Thanks Hellmutt, i thought he had been identified as the MP in question.

thanks

snoopyuk

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by snoopyuk

As you can see in this post, he would probably be on the "other side". With the elite, trying to cover it up...

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Norway's PM is a fool

There is Nothing humans can do to change global climate Cycles.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Rising world sea levels my rear end.

Water is the only liquid that expands when it freezes. We all know that adding a large item into a glass of water will make the water in the glass move up, right? This would be the equivalent of what we have now.

Now, if you take that object out, the water will lower. This is what will happen when the ice thaws. The ice takes up more room as ice, therefore the water must compensate for the loss of space and moves up and around the object. If we make the ice take up less space, as in melting, then the ocean water will not have to do this as much as it does now.

go a. and test it. Take a pot or pan, measure out the water level, place several ice cubes into the water, measure it again, wait until the cubes have melted (make sure none of the water has evaporated!) and see what you find. The water will have lowered.

Global warming is a real issue, whether by us or natural cycles, but I doubt that we have any reason to worry of rising water levels.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by EBE 17

Ebe, what you're overlooking is that if the glaciers melt, it doesn't matter that ice takes up more room than water; it's still about glaciers melting and producing more water for the oceans. There is also more, much more to this whole cycle. As the oceans warm, the glaciers and ice melt more, which causes more ocean warming and so on and so forth, the whole cycle repeats itself ad infinitum...

sty

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
the trouble would come from land-ice , not the floating one of course.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I just posted a related news article on a possible cause of the ice caps melting .

We need to further research this topic.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Global warming is not a man made problem, or at the very least not solely a man made problem, the waters have been rising and the caps melting for th last 10,000 years, there is proof of this in many archaeological sites where the sites of those who lived in the area are now far under water.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

I don't know about you but when I was educated they taught me about the ice age and how since then the ice age the ice has been melting back to the poles.
Of course its global warming duh, It don't take a rocket scientist to figure out that their is a money agenda going on here. The Kyoto accords want the U.S. to flip the bill for most of it. Its just another way the U.N. tries to hurt the U.S. Yes we need to stop things like the massive deforestation of the Amazon and be generally nicer to the earth but we are not causing global warming.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:33 AM
link   
This is a strange story. I remember reading this .line a month or two ago "Antarctic ice grows to record levels"

www.canadafreepress.com...

While the news focus has been on the lowest ice extent since satellite monitoring began in 1979 for the Arctic, the Southern Hemisphere (Antarctica) has quietly set a new record for most ice extent since 1979

Seems a bit contradictory to me.

[edit on 21-1-2008 by Karlhungis]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Okay folks, which is it? Are we warming up or, are we cooling down?

I suppose it depends on who we are listening to and which evidence will win out first. All I know, both these groups need to get together and have serious talk so they can come to a definite conclusion: are we going to burn up or freeze to death?

DCP

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   

"A volcano beneath Antarctica’s icy surface has been detected for the first time. ..."The flow of this glacier towards the coast has speeded up in recent decades, and it may be possible that heat from the volcano has caused some of that acceleration."

The effect is similar to a person gliding down a Slip 'n Slide: Volcanically melted water beneath the colossal ice sheet lubricates its movement, assisting its gravity-powered journey toward the Antarctic Ocean. "

it also says..."Vaughan noted, however, that the hidden volcano doesn't explain widespread thinning of Antarctic glaciers. "

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jdposey

lol @ last sentence

On topic : I guess it is like you wrote , depending on which side you work for (ie where the proifit comes from for those sides) its going to be either that or that .. My theory is that we might be heating up but its not due to anything that "man" has done . Its a natural process that has to do with our sun getting hotter and hotter ..

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by EBE 17

only some of this ice is on land which means that sea levels would rise.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join