It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unlocking DVD Regions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I've been traveling a lot and in every location, I pick up a few DVDs. (Hey, it's cheaper than ordering a movie from the Hotel pey-per view. And you get to keep it
). So far, I have DVDs purchased in Hong Kong (region 3), London region 2) and the US (region 1). So, my question is, I know that it's possible to unlock DVD players to play any region, but does anyone know how, or where to look. Or, if it's legal for that matter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:57 AM
link   
I did mine with this site

Just look up the model and it'll show you. I don't know if it's legal though.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Oh, in case you weren't sure...

It'll show you a code, and you put it in with the remote, and a screen will come up. I'm pretty sure "0" is for region free.

[edit on 20/1/2008 by enjoies05]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Awesome site, thanks..

However, just my luck, there's no unlock code for my DVD player.

I think I'll just email Sylvania and see if their people can tell me how to access the DVD region property screen.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:10 AM
link   
What model is it? I searched Sylvania and 49 models came up.

edit...Oh, nevermind, it says none, thats why...

[edit on 20/1/2008 by enjoies05]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
you can rip it with dvd decrypter and take th eregion codes off of it. thats going another way though

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Yeah, that may be the easy way to go. I'm pretty sure the DVD case can hold 2 disks at once. I might as well do that.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
If you get a really cheap player from china like a Shinco of some such random brand a lot of the time they don't even put the coding in the machine.

The DVD player I have in my bedroom will get a half decent movie from a piece of toast.

MonKey

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
So that's weak. No unlocking for me. Even removing the region after burning the DVD results in an unplayable DVD. So, I've been looking for a way to unlock my XBox 360, also with no luck.

I might as well just buy a new region free DVD player and sell mine on Ebay or something.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Out of curiosity what make and model is it?

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I know there are countless ways to do this, but I kinda suspect the mods will take issue to any discussion about circumventing/hacking DVD region codes.

posted on Feb, 5 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I've come to a resolution...

My Sylvania Progressive scan HDMI DVD player won't play anything but region 1. And, it won't play DVDs burned from foreigh regions using a reliable ripping tool... But..

My XBox 360 will play the ripped DVDs normally, so I'm doing that now. It's a better solution for me anyway because my XBox has become my media center with access to all of my media files on my network too.

Now I have a $150 HDMI progressive scan DVD player that works extremely well as a paperweight.

I think I'll give it to someone as a gift. I know my sister's birthday is coming up.

new topics

top topics

join