It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do people who aren’t Christian deserve be tortured in hell?

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

take a piece of paper. throw it into a blazing fireplace. what happens?

the paper is tormented or incinerated (destroyed)?

why would god use something that destroys as a metaphor for torment?

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
double post, sorry....

[edit on 19-11-2008 by miriam0566]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   
no comment, it will be up to GOD not me

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566
take a piece of paper. throw it into a blazing fireplace. what happens?

the paper is tormented or incinerated (destroyed)?

why would god use something that destroys as a metaphor for torment?

"The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." - Matthew 13:41-42

"I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." - Matthew 8:11-12

"There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out." - Luke 13:28

"They are wild waves of the sea, foaming up their shame; wandering stars, for whom blackest darkness has been reserved forever." - Jude 1:13

"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life." - Matthew 25:46

There's more about it in the Bible of course. As far as why God uses this "metaphor" (which can be debated whether or not it is a metaphor), that's question for Him.

[edit on 19-11-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
I don't think that being "Christian" has anything to do with "hell" or punishment in the after life. I was raised as a Christian, and I came to believe that there are two types of Christians: those who are Christian at heart, and those who act Christian. Those who are Christian at heart will encourage you to be the best person you can be no matter what your religion and never judge you when you do wrong. A person who acts Christian will belittle, judge, and try to scare you with hell and torment. A Christian at heart will be volunteering at a homeless shelter while a person who acts Christian will be memorizing bible verses until they are blue in the face and say "no" when a homeless person asks them for money. I have known both types of Christians, and it's my opinion that religion has nothing to do with what's in our hearts; while hell has everything to do with what's in our hearts.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:47 PM
link   
And with this opinion you find it okay to brush aside the very book that defines what a Christian is? Regarding hypocrisy, Jesus Christ had a lot to say about this too...but that's in the Bible.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by andre18

It does not say anywhere in the bible that people will go to hell and burn forever. Never says it.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SailorinAZ
It does not say anywhere in the bible that people will go to hell and burn forever. Never says it.

Have you read my quotes?

Originally posted by saint4God
"But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell." - Matthew 5:23

"It is better for you to enter life with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into the fire of hell." - Matthew 18:9

"It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out." - Mark 9:43

"Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels." - Matthew 25:41

"In a similar way, Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns gave themselves up to sexual immorality and perversion. They serve as an example of those who suffer the punishment of eternal fire." - Jude 1:7

There's more surely, these are a few more poignant examples.

Near the top of the page I quote the specifics of torment.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:05 PM
link   

None of the quotes say people will burn forever in a fire. They do say the fire burns forever but they do not say people burn forever. However, the bible does say that your body and soul will be destroyed in hells fire. The Antichrist, Satan, and Demons burn forever. Not people.

The punishment is death. Death of your body and soul. Ceasing to exisit.

Does not say anywhere that people will burn forever. Show me the verse my friend.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by andre18

Believe me, God knows you exists and He believes in YOU!

Grandma

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SailorinAZ

Our souls live forever. You just need to decide where it is you want YOUR soul to spend eternity. I much more prefer Heaven.

Grandma

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Grandma

“For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 6:23, NKJV).

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12
Not to worry though-all christians are also going to endure and suffer a ghastly horrible fate for having the audacity not to mindlessly accept the doctrine of another abrahamic cult/sect,islam-so it all works itself out in the end.

Is that so?

Surah - "Al Baqarah" 2:62 "Those who believe, Jews, Nazarenes (Christians) and Sabaeans - whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day and does good deeds - shall be rewarded by their Lord; they have nothing to fear nor are they saddened."

[edit on 19-11-2008 by DJMessiah]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SailorinAZ
None of the quotes say people will burn forever in a fire. They do say the fire burns forever but they do not say people burn forever.

As stated before

Originally posted by saint4God
"The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil. They will throw them into the fiery furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." - Matthew 13:41-42

"I say to you that many will come from the east and the west, and will take their places at the feast with Abraham, Isaac and Jacob in the kingdom of heaven. But the subjects of the kingdom will be thrown outside, into the darkness, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth." - Matthew 8:11-12

"There will be weeping there, and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham, Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, but you yourselves thrown out." - Luke 13:28

"They are wild waves of the sea, foaming up their shame; wandering stars, for whom blackest darkness has been reserved forever." - Jude 1:13

"Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life." - Matthew 25:46

There's more about it in the Bible of course. As far as why God uses this "metaphor" (which can be debated whether or not it is a metaphor), that's question for Him.

I realize I sound like a broken record, but until the points are addressed, I see no reason to ignore them.

Is there hell? Yes. (Biblically validated)
Does hell suck? Yes. (Biblically validated)
Is there eternal torment there? Yes. (Biblically validated)
Do I want there to be a hell? No.
Do my wishes create reality? No.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   

I never said that I am a Christian or that I believe in the bible. I believe helping each other out is more meaningful to God than memorizing bible verses and condemning everyone to hell

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by veranda
I never said that I am a Christian or that I believe in the bible. I believe helping each other out is more meaningful to God than memorizing bible verses and condemning everyone to hell

I never said you were Christian, but it seems you'd suggested there were Christians who disregard the Bible (which does discuss Hell and what goes on there) and instead are given passage to heaven because of merely earning it by doing good deeds. I haven't memorized Bible verses and know very few who do, but quoting the Bible by no means is condemning people to Hell. If the Bible is God's word (as Christians believe) it is God who is doing the judging/condemning, not the one quoting it. The Book finally concludes with this information as well. For me, I tend not to talk about Hell because I would much rather someone come to God out of love, not fear, but to say it simply doesn't exist in the Bible would be a lie on my part. Since this is the subject matter, the topic, and the question posed it would be only fair of me to answer truthfully.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Maya432

Its got to be wrong. If not then its basically saying Christians believe'our creator' is punishing people based on situation and circumstance. You dont choose what colour skin you are born in, you dont choose your parents, you dont choose where in the world you are born and for the majority of the world - you dont choose what religion you are born into. Could it not be that that in itself is the experiment??? To see past what you are led to believe and taught and to come to your own conclusion or theory through THINKING FOR YOURSELF.
I was born a Christian, i was about 5 when i descided i didn't buy it, although i do believe we did have a creator of sorts. I'm sure someone who has the ability to create the universe and everything that evolved from it would be far to smart to make it so easy - anyone can be a sheep!!!

[edit on 19-11-2008 by MCoG1980]

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackProjects
Other thoughts on this subject... if a drowning man is thrown a life preserver(as humanity was with gift of Christ) but chooses not to take hold and drown..how is the thrower(God) of the life preserver at fault?

Let's put a spin on this, let's say the drowning man is blind and deaf because of what the thrower did (or neglected to do) to him (made him that way), and the thrower throws the life preserver, knowing that the drowning man will not be able to find the life preserver. Is the thrower at fault?

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   

I respect that you defend your beliefs so passionately. The question though is do people who are not christian deserve to go to hell, and I think the answer to that question is No, because I don't feel religion or the bible has anything to do with going to "hell." Religion is so black and white, when the reality is our Creator's decision to send us somewhere where we will suffer for ETERNITY can't rely solely on what other people deem "sin."

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 04:05 PM
link   
In the beginning of the thread, the answer given was "we all deserve Hell", Christians included. The expanded discussion was brought about from the anticipated "there is no Hell in the Bible" response.

Regarding sin, it's not up for popular vote and isn't dependent on other people. Instead, we've received instruction (including the Bible) on what sin is and how to properly view it.

new topics

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18 >>

join