It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do people who aren’t Christian deserve be tortured in hell?

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by BlueRaja

I highly doubt that the majority of people who aren't christians don't follow jesus because they don't want to give up their "sin".

Most people who don't believe in god are very good people. They are not all people who are living in sin that they don't want to give up.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   
According to my ex-girl. If you heard about Jesus and decided not to become a Christian you burn in hell. If you didn't hear about Jesus you are safe. I really don't think God hates like that. I'm sick of religious fanatics claiming to know the will of God. I condem them to hell.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by earthman4]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by earthman4
According to my ex-girl. If you heard about Jesus and decided not to become a Christian you burn in hell. If you didn't hear about Jesus you are safe. I really don't think God hates like that. I'm sick of religious fanatics claiming to know the will of God. I condem them to hell.

Both the "ex" part and anger make sense. All the best with that 'authority' to condemn others. I don't think God is a fan of competition. And, sorry you lost your girlfriend...or your girlfriend lost you. Hopefully it doesn't have to be like this.

I don't see in the Bible where ignorance makes anyone "safe".

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by gmac1000
reply to post by Dark_Ace

Its the most Popular and supposedly the most accurate version translated from From Hebrew allthough i believe amoung many other that the message behind it will get through no matter how badly it is translated ....if you read it that is

Please do not take this personaly, but you are very wrong.
You may want to think that the King James version is best, but that may be because the errors in it are so ingrained into your beliefs, that you would be forced to re-think your whole religion, if you had to go to a modern, more accurate version.
The reson KJV is so popular is because it is in the public domain, and there are no copyright royalties to be paid, to print it.

[edit on 17-3-2008 by jmdewey60]

[edit on 17-3-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Anyone who has read multiple translations of the Bible should be able to confirm there is little to no difference. I like the New International Version (which was a project including over a hundred scholars and many years of reviewing the original text) but surprise surprise, it reads just like The King James Version. Some word choices are different such as "you" instead of "thee" but the message goes unchanged. In fact, "The Message" version of the Bible was meant to be a 'street edition' as I understood it. Look up a verse, it reads the same:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." - John 3:16, King James Version

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16, New International Version

"This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. " - John 3:16, The Message

"For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. " - John 3:16, New Living Translation

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son. Whoever puts his trust in God's Son will not be lost but will have life that lasts forever. " - John 3:16, New Life Version

Are ya getting the message yet?

[edit on 17-3-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

Also the great Isaiah scroll has been dated back to atleast 100BC and there are very few differences between it and the versions form 1000 years later. It really was not altered.

check here www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by theendisnear69

I highly doubt that the majority of people who aren't christians don't follow jesus because they don't want to give up their "sin".

Most people who don't believe in god are very good people. They are not all people who are living in sin that they don't want to give up.

It's not a matter of giving up sin. Christians still sin as they're not perfect either. People want to focus on the God of love aspect, and say how could a loving God condemn people to hell. They ignore the fact that he's also a Holy God and a Just God, and cannot have sin in his presence. His love is expressed in the fact of sending his Son to die on the cross for the sin's of man, so that they wouldn't have to be condemned. God gave humans free will, so they could choose, rather than be robots. It's not the giving up sin that good people object to per se, but giving up the Lordship of their life to Jesus, or accepting that there is a higher power than man, to which they are accountable to.

posted on Mar, 18 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." - John 3:16, King James Version

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." - John 3:16, New International Version

"This is how much God loved the world: He gave his Son, his one and only Son. And this is why: so that no one need be destroyed; by believing in him, anyone can have a whole and lasting life. " - John 3:16, The Message

"For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life. " - John 3:16, New Living Translation

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son. Whoever puts his trust in God's Son will not be lost but will have life that lasts forever. " - John 3:16, New Life Version

Yeah it's stating specifically that if I believe in Jesus I will go to heaven and if I don’t I’m going to hell – it doesn’t get more clearer

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by andre18

Yeah it's stating specifically that if I believe in Jesus I will go to heaven and if I don’t I’m going to hell – it doesn’t get more clearer

My question at this point is- do you believe in heaven and hell, etc...? If the answer to that question is yes, then why would you knowingly choose not to go to heaven?
If the answer is no, then why do you care what the bible has to say? You're missing the message of hope in the above statement, which is I don't have to go to hell, and taking it in a negative way.

posted on Mar, 19 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Why do you care what the bible has to say? I don’t I couldn’t really care less, but when people read this thing and start going crazy because of what they read from it then there’s a problem. When people read it and expect others to believe it with no evidence and try push their beliefs onto others because they feel so strongly about a book – then there’s a problem. When abortion clinics are blown up because of the bible’s influence – then there’s a problem.

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   

lol funny thing is, it doesn´t mention heaven or hell

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Why do you care what the bible has to say?

I didn't used to, but I do now.

I don’t I couldn’t really care less, but when people read this thing and start going crazy because of what they read from it then there’s a problem.

Why do people start to go crazy from what they read?

When people read it and expect others to believe it with no evidence and try push their beliefs onto others because they feel so strongly about a book – then there’s a problem.

Totally agree. I don't expect anyoen to believe with no evidence in the same way I could not believe without evidence. But, I have it now. Would you like assistance in getting yours?

When abortion clinics are blown up because of the bible’s influence – then there’s a problem.

Where does the Bible say blow up anything? How does the Bible influence this action? Where does the Bible say kill...because mine says "thou shall not".

posted on Mar, 20 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by miriam0566

lol funny thing is, it doesn´t mention heaven or hell

Keep reading after John 3:16. There's more, heaven and hell inclusive.

posted on Jun, 3 2008 @ 08:28 PM
link   
maybe we christians dont want non christians to go to hell because u wouldn't wish hell on ur worse enemy but it says clearly where people who reject christ are going he doesn't lie he talked and warned many times about hell when he walked this planet he loves you more then the human mind could comprehend he doesnt want no one go there but its free will thats givin to us plain and simple u need jesus to have eternal life why wouldnt u want to be with the same god who made the stars and heavens and the very man who died for our sins without jesus ur doomed period.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 06:00 AM
link   
www.belowtopsecret.com...'

hell is not hellfire.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 07:10 AM
link   

hell is not hellfire.

Then what is hellfire?

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

hellfire is an misinterpretation of scripture. it is a doctrine that has been used to scare people into submitting, something a "loving" god wouldnt do.

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miss_Murphy
hellfire is an misinterpretation of scripture.

All the best publishing your version of the dictionary.

Main Entry: hell·fire
Function: noun
: the eternal fire of hell that tortures sinners

www.merriam-webster.com...

Originally posted by Miss_Murphy
it is a doctrine that has been used to scare people into submitting, something a "loving" god wouldnt do.

Although it must be nice to pick and choose which parts of the Bible feel good to us, it isn't exactly an objective scholarly viewpoint. I guess we can throw away the Old Testament, but how then does one reconcile the New Testament when it speaks of being a continuation and fulfillment of the Old Testament? Food for thought, no response necessary.

[edit on 4-6-2008 by saint4God]

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
Although it must be nice to pick and choose which parts of the Bible feel good to us, it isn't exactly an objective scholarly viewpoint.

my sentiments exactly. hellfire doctrine ignores the fact that adam's punishment was death. it also ignores scriptures that mention death as being asleep. it also ignores scriptures about the dead being unable to think. it ignores the fact that the soul is NOT immortal

if bad people are in hell to be tortured for all eternity, why did jesus pay a visit? why is there going to be a resurection of the bad as well as the good?

hellfire doctrine goes against the main message of the bible of god being a god of love and justice.

you may call it cherry picking, but ive shown time and time again that hellfire is not supported by the bible.

its dogma, and sick dogma at that. anyone who cant see eternal torment as being unjust is kidding themselves

posted on Jun, 4 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

my sentiments exactly. hellfire doctrine ignores the fact that adam's punishment was death.

We both know 'hellfire doctrine' does not ignore adam's punishment being death.

it also ignores scriptures that mention death as being asleep.

We also know 'hellfire doctrine' does not ignore death being a form of sleep.

it also ignores scriptures about the dead being unable to think.

Now we're crossing the bridge into absurdity in ignoring scripture itself and making baseless assumptions so I don't see a point in continuing the discussion.

if bad people are in hell to be tortured for all eternity, why did jesus pay a visit? why is there going to be a resurection of the bad as well as the good?

You know this question is already answered in the Bible.

[edit on 4-6-2008 by saint4God]

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join