It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What In The World Most Deadly And Efficient Assault Rifle

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 14 2010 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Not to take anything away from the kill numbers from the AK 47's long history, but....I would go with the TAR 21.
Because it is a sniper rifle with assault rifle capabilities, in part due to the bull pup design. The Israelis got it right. Please read
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 14-10-2010 by jymmyjaymes because: added image to post

posted on Jan, 17 2011 @ 06:09 AM
link   
XM8! as this Assault rifle is practically AK47 and M16 being combined into one gun

posted on Jan, 18 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by GUNSINWAR

the impact of a AK-47 is about 3 tons

I'm not sure were you got this figure from but I can assure you it is incorrect. The muzzle energy for 125 grain 7.62x39 bullets at 2365 fps is 1552 ft. lbs. At 100 yards the velocity has dropped to 2062 fps and the energy to 1180 ft. lbs. At 200 yards the velocity is 1783 fps and the energy is 882 ft. lbs. That is no where near you're purposed energy, even at the muzzle.

Now the 7.62x51 NATO (.308 win.) with a 170gr. FMJ bullet the muzzle energy at 2822fps is 3007 ft. lbs. 100 yards is 2641 ft. lbs @ 2645fps, 200 yards is 2260 ft. lbs @ 2474fps. Amazingly at 500 yards the .308 has 1512 ft. lbs. of energy @ 2001fps that is only 40 ft. lbs less than the 125gr. x39 at the muzzle!!!!

posted on Jan, 24 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
The one a trained and capable man has in his hands when the balloon goes pop. The weapon generally is less than 10% of the issue,The operator is majority of the weapons system,with our love of technology and gee wiz gadgets we tend to forget that.

Personally I still favor an Stoner System (M-16 AR-15) Rifle /Carbine in 5.56. But then I'm a simple cop with a light infantry past.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by pinpoint sniper(1)

I'm kinda partial to my Steyr AUG. It's smaller than pretty much any other assault rifle with a 16" barrel firing a medium caliber round. Not real light though - it's quite a bit heavier than an AR-15.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   

My opinion would have to be the venerable AK-47, in all its versions and nationalities.

The 7.62x39 ammo is potent, the rifle bore is perfect for the round and the rate of fire, ease of reloading and durability factors make it hands down the best killer in military small arms history.

The SKS... kind of the older, non-auto sister to the AK is not bad either. In fact, between the AK and the SK, you have an inexpensive duo that can fight on any battlefield environment against any enemy using the same ammo which could be a lifesaver of simplified logistics.

In contrast, the US Colt M-16 and M-3 are far inferior... and not just because of the 5.56mm ammunition. The firing mechanisms are subject to jamming and misfires due to the tight machining parameters and lack of overall durability.

Just one person's opinion.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
"Of all time" AK 47 comes to mind. But....I am super impressed by the Tavor 21, a bullpup sniper rifle accuracy/assault capable rifle, all in one....guns.wikia.com...

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by WGBJR

Winning answer!

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

My opinion would have to be the venerable AK-47, in all its versions and nationalities.

The 7.62x39 ammo is potent, the rifle bore is perfect for the round and the rate of fire, ease of reloading and durability factors make it hands down the best killer in military small arms history.

The SKS... kind of the older, non-auto sister to the AK is not bad either. In fact, between the AK and the SK, you have an inexpensive duo that can fight on any battlefield environment against any enemy using the same ammo which could be a lifesaver of simplified logistics.

In contrast, the US Colt M-16 and M-3 are far inferior... and not just because of the 5.56mm ammunition. The firing mechanisms are subject to jamming and misfires due to the tight machining parameters and lack of overall durability.

Just one person's opinion.

Just a quick fact or two:

While the SKS and the AK were both designed by Soviets, they are completely different weapons. The SKS has a gas piston that is not integral to the bolt, with its own return spring, which flies back and strikes a piece called the bolt carrier, which unlocks the tilting block bolt. The AK on the other hand has a long gas piston that is integral to the bolt carrier (and shares its spring), which is thrown back and unlocks a rotary bolt. About the only thing they have in common is the ammunition. In fact, the AK-47 has more in common with the AR-15 (the rotary bolt) than it does with the SKS.

So, while they aren't sisters, they are members of the same species - "gun."
edit on 27-1-2011 by HattoriHanzou because: (no reason given)

edit on 27-1-2011 by HattoriHanzou because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
I feel for flat out killing I'm gonna have to go with the AK 47. Its efficient, deadly, and extremely reliable. And world wide it is the most used so I would have to say its the world's most deadly assault rifle.

I was watching history channel and they were talking to the curator of the National Firearms museum on Tales of the Gun. They asked him out of the thousands and thousands of weapons on hand, what is the one rifle he would choose should SHTF. He said, and without hesitation, the AK 47. That spoke loud to me.

Now as far as quality goes, I'd say an FN SCAR is about as well built as you are gonna find in an assault rifle. The Bushmaster ACR is well built as well.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I'll still take my AR chambered in 5.45 by 39 millimeter ammo.

For those that don't know 5.45 by 39 is the standard round of the ak 74 and the follow an 94 assault rifle. It is in the same class as milspec 5.56 ammo but costs a quarter as much!

Now some will say this or that but ... you have to be able to afford to FEED YOUR WEAPON for it to be any good.

My AR is setup with a twenty inch barrel a brand name reddot scope and a Quick Detach mount magnifier for long range shots. I use the Ace Hammer stock with a strengthened buffer tube and a hydraulic buffer. I keep an ACOG attached to a QD mount with the rifle and my rails are marked so I can slap it on and go long range instead of CQB with pinpoint accuracy. Same reason why I have the bipod setup and etc.

But most important of all... I have enough spare parts to rebuild the two AR 15's I still have (one for me one for the GF) several times over and also have uppers in several common calibers (battlefield resupply for when I run out of my ammo I'll take the enemy's). In addition to this we have 15 + magazines per rifle with parts to respring and etc each mag 3 times. While there are better calibers and better weapons out there... I took a look at what chamberings I could realistically afford to shoot and keep on hand in useful amounts. Then I looked at my terrain and etc and came to the conclusion that direct gas impingement will work more than fine in my area.

LIke one poster said it's not so much the rifle as the rifleman that makes the situation good or bad. If you are well trained with your equipment and can operate maintain and FEED it within your budget and it fits the tactical scenarios you project could be an issue then it is the best weapon for you.

PS: there is no point in owning a so called "assault rifle" if you are not going to keep at least TEN high capacity magazines for the rifle and enough ammunition to fully load all of those magazines at least twice! In a real SHTF scenario you will burn ammo at UNHOLY rates with a semi automatic high capacity firearm.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
There is no such thing as "The deadliest". A firearm is an inanimate object.
The deadliest weapon is the weapon in the hands of a trained user.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vojvoda
I watched in Discovery Channel two weeks ago Top Ten Combat Rifles and AK-47 easily won as the best of the best. 2nd was M16.

I think everybody agrees that AK-47 is the best.

I wouldn't say it's the best; it is however, the most prevalent, and easiest for uneducated third-world people to learn how to use. It was designed as a "spray and pray" weapon for use on, what was to be, the European battlefield for when the Russians invaded. When the Soviets realized that invasion would very likely lead to an all out nuclear war they changed their tactics to little brushfire wars all over the planet - that's why there are approximately 150 million AK's and it variants around the globe. Of course, they changed tactics again when that didn't work, and now they're destroying us from within - just like Kruschev said they would.

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by GUNSINWAR
"The AK-47 and its variants are often recognized to be the best AR ever made. Its usually because its so cheap and easy to make, and yet still the most rugged and reliable AR ever made. It leaves something to be desired when it comes to accuracy but the bullet's raw power makes up for it."

the impact of a AK-47 is about 3 tons,it accuracy is a bit of where the m-16 kicked butt!

At best you get a little less than 1500 foot pounds of energy with the 7.62x39 fired in an AK47, 3 tons is in the area of the 378 Weatherby Magnum.
edit on 3-2-2011 by mtncharlie because: Bold

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

Wow that is a freaking sexy M4....

I would still have to vote for the Steyr Aug
edit on 8-2-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Ah im tired of all the AK 47posts. YEs its killed massive numbers of people but that doesn't make it the best and most efficient.

I would have to say that first of all the 5.56 round is more efficient than the 7.62 so i'd prefer the Ak 74 over a 47, but still they are not the best design albiet it a very reliable one. A 5.56 rround still does massive damage to tissue and despite having less penetrating power you can carry more rounds and that IS very important. Its not rare at all in Afgan for soldiers to have to leave a firefight after running out of ammunitiuon and 5.56 still performs very well. Or before anyone says the 6.5mm intermediate round may prove to be the best all rounder but its not used too widely atm.

I think the most deadly rifle weapon would rely on the soldier using it more than the technology. There are so many great options out there today that its hard to pick out a few single weapon systems. I'm a massive fan of the bullpup design and believe that this is a far supirior design and some of the best features in weapon design are the most simple ideas.

Also though going back to the AK reliability is imperative and a reliable mediocre assault rifle is a safer bet than a high tech unreliable one. Despite all of what I've said above I still am a fan of battle rifles like the SLR (or for the COD players the 'FN FAL') I still think our smaller calibre assault rifles are better, but I just like the idea of every man having a big, high calibre, accurate rifle to shoot with. Where now days I feel that often firefights are about laying down massive suppressive fire to keep the enemy down rather than accurate, lethal fire.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
My New Toy Ruger SR 556

posted on Feb, 23 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by fritz

Originally posted by Vojvoda I think everybody agrees that AK-47 is the best.

Errrr............no. I don't!

I have used an AK and whilst it is good for house clearing, putting down automatic fire whilst assaulting an enemy trench or [in terrorists hands]spraying rounds indiscriminately in some Israeli airport, the AK is rubbish.

Yup......... sure........ it can still operate having been submerged in water, buried in mud or sand, covered in oil or whatever, BUT and it is a very big but, it is not all that accurate.

We are led to believe the Cold War is over and the AK is a remnant of that era when NATO faced millions of Soviet led soldiers, paratroopers and marines - when quantity was needed to overcome or over-run quality.

My old FN SLR was more accurate and when you were hit by a 7.62 anywhere between the head and the groin, it was usually 'Goodnight Vienna!'

The FN SLR and the M14 produced something called 'tissue shock' which ripped apart flesh before the round shattered bone, then again after the round passed through, sucking everything in behind it.

The modern AK is a vast improvement over the post WWII weapon, but it is still really just a 'spray and hope' weapon. Nothing really remarkable in this day and age.

M14 the AK`s i`ve fired are clanky old model T`s.I respect the caliber and the weapon but its no tack driver.

Bill

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join