It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 77
<< 74  75  76    78  79  80 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
Right, www.tu24.org... have now elevated the risk to 'severe'. But based on what though? Seems like grandstanding without definite evidence of any effects that may be taking place.

Based on their own paranoid beliefs.

Its a hilarious website though. Funny how an asteroid can cause firestorms and electromagnetic disturbance but the moon doesn't. As far as I know (and as experienced a proffesional meteorologist as I am), you need fire to have firestorms, and the only way an asteroid is going to start a fire is if it crashes into a petrol station

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by mungodave

Go buy yourself some custom titles and fancy colors.

Maybe a custom mini-profile background image.

Or access to the *secret* forum!

Heck, you could afford one of everything in the store, now!

Great thread, dude, live it up!

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:00 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

Um, you didn't read the body text of my post? They can't be trusted. I know this, my cat knows this, as does any rational web-surfer knows.... Thanks for the cautionary reprimand though, I guess.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juicy
I live in Illinios and we had the tornado sirens go off here in December........ The hubby is going to work tonight as usual at the power plant. The geese are still on the lake.

This almost sounds like you live on my lake..... lots of Canadian Geese still here, they were riding ATV's on the frozen lake yesterday. We have a large power plant in town as well as an Avertine Facility (spl?) an ethanol plant that was called Corn Products back in the day....And the tornado whipped through about 6 miles south of us on the northeast track, but it was hairy there for a good 20 minutes as a solid string of storms roared through with massive lightning strikes.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by robertfenix]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Ugh. I will be so glad when this rock cruises right along. It makes you weary reading everything and staying caught up.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I saw this on thundarr the barbarian, remember, scifi is one step ahead of real life

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by cbtech
[more?

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

Nine hours and and a quarter 'til closest approach.

There about or so...

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by robertfenix

I don't know anything about a frozen pond, but there is one that he says the geese sit on because it is heated. It is in central Illinois.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
That TU24 Website is nuts!!!

I certainly hope they dont cause anyone to hurt themselves over this one!!!

Those of you who dont feel "safe" do like i did- go wait it out with family or friends. Oh and bring a hardhat.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
[edit on 28-1-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Ditto on the nuts thing! And trying to milk it for all its worth. Wonder what it will say tomorrow?

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Juicy

Tomorrow it wont have anything to do with Tu24. My bet is that it will talking about the one thats going to cross Mars path in the near future and/or they will counting down to the next thing that gets close.

Same BS, different rock

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Juicy

That's what I'm waiting for Juicy... with wonder and some sharp "knives".

Vic

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

You hit the nail on the head for sure. I wonder if they will change the address though..cant be TU24.org anymore. Maybe they can think up some sort of phrase that can be creative of all of the asteroids they will be posting about. I bet they will talk about every single one that passes by now.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Comma8Comma1:
I don't have enuff posts yet for u2u, I am sorry. Basically, I just go to
www.fourmilab.ch...
input the orbital elements from jpl, and get my settings from there. Cassiopeia should be easy to spot tonight. If you can get to Polaris, it's just next door.
Sorry to reply in the thread, folks....noob here.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Ive been reading this thread for the past 5 6 days, more or less carefully. I really don’t know what I believe, obviously I don’t also have the background to process critically the info mentioned, trajectories and distances and the JPL data and so on…

I m only thinking of this scenario: What if this is a case where there is a really very small chance that the asteroid could hit and also that could take place in a vast geographical area.

Would we have known anything about it? Would NASA admit it? Would media present it? Was anything going to be different on terms of how we were informed? I honestly honestly doubt it. If nothing else panic would have killed more. And that badastronomy guy says astronomers would have said something. 1st how many people has access to the raw data before they are posted in the various web pages? 2nd if an astronomer was presented with the case there´s 1 out say for example 10.000 that it hits as and that in an area the size of say South East Asia would it makes sense to reply "ok lets everybody know and start moving 1 billion people now".

And come on… there´s something really funny here… this would have been at least in the various “entertainment” news normally.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by laytheovers

A 250m asteroid is not going to pose a major threat to population, so I dont think that your example doesnt apply to this situation. I am pretty sure NASA would let the world know (and if not NASA, other proffesional astronomers) if there was a major threat (after notifying their families and the president of course).

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by johnnyk

you saw a bracelet in your dream,oh dear,this does not bode well.....

what did it look like?,its very important!

reply soon!

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
No Oz, I might have not explained myself correctly… I didn’t mean its going to devastate a massive area, I meant that the impact point would be uncertain and would only be calculated precisely at a time very close to the impact. A very small chance for a very big area.

top topics

<< 74  75  76    78  79  80 >>

join