It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 73
<< 70  71  72    74  75  76 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by kiliker30

Worry and Inquiry are two completely different things. The length of this thread is evidence enough that data, for those who would like to understand that nature of NEO's in general, is difficult to discern. We are not all building an ark in the back yard. Some of us just want a better understanding of "how" these objects are reported. No worries....I'm sure we are being told everything we need/want/desire to know about....everything.

Peace

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   
OMG THIS JUST IN!!!

RED ALERT!!

Everything is normal, besides the weather, and the whole story about the spy satellite.

Is the thing gonna pass between Earth and the Moon or not, thats what i really wanna know.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
what's this talk about unusual weather? I thought the asteroid, if it does come close enough to affect us on earth without impact would only cause disruptions in the geomagnetic fields... meaning power and communications disruptions. How exactly does this affect regular weather, such as rain, snow, etc?

I'd be looking for widespread power outages and communications disruptions for signs that this asteroid is getting too close, not if it is unusually warm or cold..

I'd be on the lookout for both... Anyway, I work for a telco here in Holland, and I can tell you that our network is stil up and running

edit: O yeah, the weather here sucks. Like it ususally does.

[edit on 28-1-2008 by cappuccino]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Nitrana

A very few people say it will pass between the Earth and the moon; more say it will stay pretty far off outside of the moon and well away from us. You just have to sift through the thread a bit. And come to your own conclusion

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Interesting....

Today's Traffic: There is one object known to be within ten lunar distances (LD)1 of Earth today, January 28th. 2007 TU24 is inside Earth's Hill sphere, moving from 3.16 to 1.62 LD.

source

According to Wiki our Hill sphere is explained as:

A Hill sphere approximates the gravitational sphere of influence of one astronomical body in the face of perturbations from another heavier body around which it orbits. It was defined by the American astronomer George William Hill based upon the work of the French astronomer Édouard Roche. It is also known as the Roche sphere for this reason.

One object is known to be approaching in the near future. 2007 DA will come inside ten LD on February 11th.

There are three objects that recently flew past Earth and remain of continuing interest.

And here is Daily Tracking News

edit: corrected link - again - sorry

[edit on 28-1-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Could you put your findings in terms I can understand?
Sorry if it inconveniences, I just want to understand.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
tartlebone's quote,

Don't assume I'm completely ignorant. I did a little bit of research, and Ive been to that site. My question was simply how , or perhaps when, we would know where it may hit. If it was going to. I'm sorry I may not be as smart as you but I'm not stupid. I know a rock that size isnt going to kill us all. I was just curious about where it may hit

First off I appreciate everyone's input here and I'm glad to meet new faces.

I have to admit I'm totally ignorant when it comes to this subject.

But I'm learning A LOT!
Alls, I'm hearing on news channels is about that stupid spy satellite. If they're trying to divert our attention.....It's NOT working!

H E L L O!!!,,, that's not reaching earth for a few months! The Roid is coming in TOMORROW!

With my luck this thing will THUMP ME ON THE NOGGIN,,,,,
When I finally win A BIG ONE on the slot machine!

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juicy
Today:

E MOID .0012507 AU

I just looked about 10 minutes ago and it said it was .00086xx something

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by robertfenix

As someone noted earlier, different sites have different values and information. I got the data I posted from NEO. Where did you get your numbers? I rechecked the site again and it says the same thing I posted earlier.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
What time is this thing suppose to be at its closest proximity to earth? I heard 3:30am EST.

Thanks,

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The countdown now stands at about fourteen hours and 47 minutes until closest approach.

Don't worry, be happy!

[edit on 28-1-2008 by goosdawg]

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Juicy

Juicy, if I could put findings in terms I could understand I could translate but I am confused as well. Still working on it....and watching for information from those much more versed than me.

Are we clear that 1.4 lunar distance is way wrong now? If so, why is there no new press release from NASA saying hey...it's coming right between us and the moon woo hoo....news at 6 p.m. Does .99 make it "clip" the moon orbit? Back to reading....sorry I am not more help.

This is where I am stuck...

Astrometric Observation Prediction
For 2008/01/29 11:00:00 (UTC); 54494.45833(MJD)
Observatory code= 0500
RA= 03:46:42.303 (HH:MM:SS); 56.67626 (deg)
DEC= +66 14 50.54 (deg min sec); 66.24737 (deg)
RA/DEC Apparent motion= 22108.46 8241.85 (arcsec/hour)
Earth distance= 0.0037 (AU)
Solar elongation= -112.69 (deg)
Apparent magnitude= 10.74
Size and orientation of 1-sigma uncertainty ellipse
Short axis : Size= 0.383331 (arcsec); Direction= -0.66529 0.74658
Long axis : Size= 3.05370 (arcsec); Direction= 0.74658 0.66529

Calculated at 11 hours 0 minutes on the NEODys observations prediction. Shrugs shoulders, sips coffee....mmmm...

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   
WEll the weather reports from the mid-west are completely unusual today as I have suspected for a couple of weeks. It is very windy (unusual for feb.) and we are expecting wind gusts up to 40-even 50 mph throughout today and this evening.

Then we are expected to see heavy rain and or hail, and to top it all off snow in a day or so. (Not so unusual for feb.)

It seems the atmosphere is heavy with humidity, and when I just stepped out on the porch, it was very windy, but in different directions. The clouds are moving N./N.E. yet the ground wind is moving in swirls. Even the leaves are swirling in circles on my lawn.

Family members want to know how I knew it would be windy today two weeks ago...

Thank God for ATS.

We may not be in for any huge disruptions from TU24, but it is causing some unusual weather patterns to say the least. I will report more if it happens.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:01 PM
link   

See thats the thing; some places have it set at 1.4, some have it closer, etc. It all depends on what their calculations are from their equipment, the differences in equipment used, human error, the list goes on. I have my mind set it is 1.4

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   

DWW,

TU's MPEC designation is for Minor Planet Electronic Circulars, and I believe just another naming system. As to their Emoid, I am guessing its old? But I don't know that for certain.

The other two barometers of orbital min. distance (JPL and NEO) have held constant so no news there.

One small note about the ATS video posted from BBastronomy. The guy must be a modern husband or divorced - no wedding ring.

Scrap.

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by scrapple

Thank you.....your information has been wonderful...very glad you are here today.

Question:

Earth distance= 0.0037 (AU)

See above

Peace

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   

www.twcac.org...

That is just one of many online calc's. The au distance .0038 / .0037 has been out for awhile on some of the sites. That is I believe the predicted min distance between actual Earth-and-asteroid ; when the two bodies are at or near the minimum distance point between their orbits (Emoid)

When you get that .0038 conversion into miles or km, this is where I believe they say its at 1.2 LD for example. As 350,000km is about 1 LD if I remember right (it a bit more actually I think?)

Oh the part on the BBAStronomy video is 7mins in. -not knockin the guy, he may be a part-time carpenter or something!

I am chillin the Champag-knee for tonight!
-best
scrap

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
So would I be correct in saying that nobody knows where this could potentially hit the earth if the predicted orbit was miscalculated?

I know, i know...its not gonna hit, but what if. I think its pretty obvious nasa and tptb wouldn't find it "beneficial" to let us know about a pending armageddon scenario, let alone the exact location it would hit.

so with that in mind, has anyone managed to calculate which part of the southern hemisphere could potentially be at risk? Surely if we know its closest approach time we could work it out...errr...somehow
i'll leave that to the mathheads out there tho

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Ok, I have questions:

Now if this thing was going to hit (which I know many of you say it won't for various reasons), and NSA was trying to cover this up, wouldn't it stand to reason that all those in the know would be headed for their cushy underground bunkers? Shouldn't we be watching this closely?

I mean like where is Cheney, Bush, and any number of others? Anyone notice anything weird about their locations? Is there any increased activity at these underground locations?

posted on Jan, 28 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Closest approach is at 8:33UTC on the 29th.

UTC or Coordinated Universal Time which refers to a high-precision atomic time standard is roughly analogous to GMT or Greenwich Mean Time.

Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) is a term originally referring to mean solar time at the Royal Observatory, Greenwich in London. It is now often used to refer to Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) when this is viewed as a time zone, although strictly UTC is an atomic time scale which only approximates GMT in the old sense. It is also used to refer to Universal Time (UT), which is the astronomical concept that directly replaced the original GMT.
Source | Wikipedia | Greenwich Mean Time

So in a basic way, for our purposes here, UTC/GMT are interchangeable.

With that in mind, to convert the stated time of closest approach of 8:33UTC on the 29th to the time it will be in your local time zone you can use the utility found here:

The Time Zone Converter

Or you can refer to the time I made this post and be aware the closest approach will occur about fourteen hours from now.

new topics

top topics

<< 70  71  72    74  75  76 >>

join