It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 68
<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:44 AM
link   
Discovery Channel in Canada is at this moment showing a complete worldwide gloom 'n doom " SuperComent - After the Impact". Interesting timing. Crappy show, but I'm hoping the one astronmer who stayed behind at Mauna Lea observatory bangs the hot Asian grad student who stayed behind before they get wiped out.

In other conspiracy news...."America's Funniest Home Videos" old, old, old re-runs with Bob Saget is showing on Prime network.

Different kinds of "destruction of mankind" scenarios to prepare us, I guess...

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Maybe you need to go shopping. That would get my mind off of stuff!
Make sure they give you a bolus when you scoot into the ER, which is where I assume you are going since it is Sunday.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Yup, "Next stop, the hospital for a Demerol shot." Only thing that works for me sometimes IV straight up... most times an hour or two of unconsciousness "snaps" the vasospasm. Migraine can kill. Imitrex IM can work if you catch it before... never happens. My own schema is lightswitch - bang. Vic has a migraine. Take care dg.

So can falling objects... kill, that is. A couple of the SNL (Sandia) clips were... impressive. I was poking around at NASA and JPL... doing the advanced search. Some broken links from a day or three ago... it's likely nothing. But they did have Ostro and the other guy with "the live long and prosper" motto in his bio... the pile of broken links. Normal-normal. Quick, erase all personal comms, everything including the backups and email db... it's almost a mantra. Technical difficulties.

I'm really excited to see what Goldstone gets... or Arecibo.

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 27-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Not sure if it matters.

But I finally heard about this on Fox news this morning (I love to watch Fox news, it gives me a better understanding of propaganda). This was the first time I heard anything about TU24 from MSM. I first heard about this on here about a week ago. Go ATS, I love how I know stuff before MSM lets it out. Granted though, I do have a life and do not get to watch news all day, just in the morning.

The oddest part: It was less then a 30 second blurb, but the story that immediately followed it freaked me a bit. The Crashing satellite story.

How do you immediately (and i mean immediately) follow the closest asteroid for two more decades story, with the crashing secret satellite story.

Made me think, odd how a satellite is going to crash into earth, around the same time as the asteroid nearing us.

Wouldn't a satellite burn upon reentry? Why even discuss it if it is was super secret? I thought Satellites were designed to avoid such things, or have failsafe options.

Is the satellite a cover for the asteroid? In that, they fudge up covering the asteroid story, and might think this might cover it. Saying "unknown dangerous materials may be on the satellite, not knowing where it may land on earth, blah blah blah."

What's the chances....

But yeah heard Fox News give less then 30 seconds to TU24.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by LookingIn

Found a 10 minute clip on GlueTube... awesome.

Super Comet - After The Impact - clip

A bit "overcooked" (TV) but... fuel for one's mind.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Migraines are no fun. I doubt this thread is responsible, but I find negative emotions and fear are enough to set them off for me. Any of that going in this thread?

My migraine cure( I believe migraines come from our bodies inability to properly regulate internal tempature - i.e. dehydration)

1. Drink a 32 oz Gatorade(best) or 32 oz. water quickly

2. Rotate ice pack on soles of feet, armpits, neck, ears, eyeballs, forehead and crotch area(really works).

3. Beware Heat- hotpacks feel good momentarily but always compound my migraines. The one exception is breathing in steam if sinuses are under lots of pressure. Use a small pot and a paper funnel.

As for this asteroid? It ain't going to hit us no matter how much some of you want it to.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:05 AM
link   
As for me I would really like to see it happen. It would be a world changing event i believe. Big things need to happen to bring change. Many people believe we live in the end of times and that the planet as been destroyed many times over or the popular polar shift of 2012 South Pole becomes the North Pole hahaah either or I dont really care.

But on lighter news I have the link relating to Foxnews not sure if anyone posted it yet!

www.foxnews.com...

An asteroid that's likely as big as several football fields will fly past Earth next week.

Astronomers said the space rock will be visible the night of Jan. 29 to amateur astronomers with modest-sized telescopes.

Called 2007 TU24, the asteroid was discovered by NASA's Catalina Sky Survey on Oct. 11, 2007. It is estimated to be somewhere between 500 feet (150 meters) to 2,000 feet (610 meters) in diameter.

Im sure it wont hit but i have a felling something is gonna go down. I dont normally get that maybe its because i want it. Sounds like a freaking pyscho but I never wish harm on anyone if they dont deserve it

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

Is there more information we don't know about on the way from 24? Or is it just the same day-by-day info we have been reading up on? Like my docs say, I will follow with you!

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Good question J'. Hmmm. There's a very good chance that there are some efforts we just plain have no knowlege of... some could be covert. When one thinks about what we "DO" know... and what we "DON'T"... we are outgunned in this corral. It's a big-#ss universe and it doesn't care.

I sort of expect some more news... but it's Sunday. Who knows right? I checked most of the links a half hour ago... not much and nothing to get jazzed about. Yet. Counting the hours... nothin' new on spaceweather either.

vic

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Any chance that the close pass by the Asteroid could mess with the satellites in orbit?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by V Kaminski
Fresh data for the 27th 4:16 UTC from NEODys. A bit earlier than expected.

Earth MOID = 0.00099AU and holding true for three observation periods. Have a beer! The numbers did "move" a tiny little bit... remember that the E MOID is the scarier number. The distance from Earth is computed now for nearest approach at 0.013AU

Without being too picky - the above missed a ‘0’? (.0013au instead of .013)

I’d still like to hear an explanation for how:

1) NEODys Emoid (which has held for over a week now at .00099au) DOES NOT MATCH the 'updated' JPL/Nasa Emoid (.00125au)

---------------This is a discrepancy of 38,995km or about 1/10 the distance from Earth to Moon; which I will say seems significant speaking about this particular situation.

2) The FACT that JPL/NASA shows actual body-2-body distance holding at .003704; yet they updated their Emoid without changing this number?

-------------Do you think they are simply not updating some data over others?
-------------Or is a 120 Km (max change in Actual body-2-body distance) the logical resultant of a 89km change in Emoid?

This to me is not about will it or wont it, (I am not in the position to say) but I can ask for seemingly different sets of 'official' data to gel. Hopefully we will get another update set from Arecibo today.

Scrap

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Oops. My bad dropped a zero but left a link... for folks to check.
LOL. No biggie. It still misses. The discrepancy in different observations are that they don't all arrive at the numbers "exactly" the same and they start with different data and it's all an estimate anyway. And it still misses us. If you are super-interested you could write to Ostro... the email is there... so's everybody's. Real scientists often answer their email... especially astronomy dudes because they are "lonely". Doing real astronomy sucks in many ways and it doesn't pay well...

It'll all be over in a day or so... and there is the next one...

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:07 PM
link   

The next one? I have had enough of this one to last me for the rest of my life
How often do they update numbers? When they see fit, every few hours, or daily?

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
The numbers (nearest distance from earth when it passes) are actually decreasing. The pass line is getting closer and closer to earth. How close will it get? It might even barely pass earth and wipe out all the satellites

[edit on 27-1-2008 by Fighter Pilot]

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Juicy

You should really relax. Even if it would impact. What do you think you'll achieve by running around like a headless chicken all paranoid. If the time comes it will happen, whether a car will kill you that day or an asteroid strike you, you will not be able to stop it. And the govrnement would care less about your precious life.

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Juicy

It depends on when they have line-of-sight from the observation point to the target and what other stuff the telescope is booked for... the next one is already on it's way... likely has been since before I was born...... maybe before everyone was.

Next NEODys should be in about 10 hours... there are no guarantees on a "good" observation. I really admire astronomers... throughout history they've taken it on the chin.

Vic

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   

post by V Kaminski on 26-1-2008 @ 09:25
Today's "bad news"? It's still not going to hit.

The NEODys numbers have changed only very, very slightly and for the better IMHO. Throw some more "science" at the problem?

The data actually showed the opposite of what you suggested above, that is since, (mid NEODys track) the orbits of the two bodies moved ‘closer together’. We could have assumed this as a bad thing.

post by V Kaminski on 26-1-2008 @ 14:53
From NEODys Non-NASA for those who think that may be a significant issue. There are some links to graphics. Another source is Spaceguard.

Observation: Jan 26 09:14UTC Earth MOID (AU) = 0.00099 Same as yesterday. Which is good as the day before it was 0.0012501 and looked like it might deviate even more. It has not. Tomorrow's data should really be about all she wrote.

Here you confused the NEODys Emoid (.00099 see above) with the JPL/NASA Emoid (which has show tiny increases) in the distance between the two orbits; going from .0012501_.00125025_.00125067_ ; a data move seemingly in contradiction with the independant astronomers at NEODys.

So while the science of astronomy may "suck" and possibly crimp one’s social potential, I think we owe it to those who suffer its burdens to at least try and appreciate its output, within our own limited capabilities ( I freely admit my own to be so). However, to play fast and light with its numbers is in many respects exactly the same fair offered by those ‘gloom and doomers’ approaching the 29th.

-best
scrapple

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ironclad
Actually, its a good thing the area I live in is littered with old mines that go Deep, deep under the mountain I live on...!!

So you will crawl into an old abandoned mine, all leaking water, with rotting timbers holding up the roof... and if the thing hits and shakes the ground...

Yup sounds like a smart idea...

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Listen Scrap' you are obviously in command of the physics involved please tell the ATS community of your work.
Go for it dude! Me? I'm happy to watch. Whether I choose to post or not or share in a collegial atmosphere or not... don't care beyond the T and C. I'm old, I like it.

It really isn't a big deal for me. Honest. I'm happy the event has gotten what little public-awareness it has. Please help.

Listen if you really want to know... ask? Maybe? What could it hurt? LOL. Have a nice day. It misses. Not many hours now...

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by Ironclad
Actually, its a good thing the area I live in is littered with old mines that go Deep, deep under the mountain I live on...!!

So you will crawl into an old abandoned mine, all leaking water, with rotting timbers holding up the roof... and if the thing hits and shakes the ground...

Yup sounds like a smart idea...

To Zorgon you listen

I've always wondered, what makes the guys who are going underground, think that going underground will help in a major catastrophe like that? What about earthquakes and such? seems to me it'd almost be safer to be in a submarine. lol not that we would be allowed to have armadas of submarines of our very only.

top topics

<< 65  66  67    69  70  71 >>

join