It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 65
<< 62  63  64    66  67  68 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Juicy

I don't think anything will happen either, but I find no fault with the OP bringing this event to our attention. After all, we're here to discuss things, to exchange data and opinions. You can't do that if you keep everything to yourself. (Well, you can, but people worry about you if you debate yourself too much.
)

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juicy
So how many of you are going to be sitting up and waiting Tuesday? I might. But just to be checking things out, you know

I'll be on my roof sittin naked on a foldin chair eatin Cheeto's..........Dont care who you are ... thats funny right there LOL

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by mungodave

At least it will be dark!
I keed. And to the OP with the headache, I worried myself literally into exhaustion a few days ago when I first found out about it.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Congrats on your Mod'ship NGC

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
You have a great sense of humor J',
None of that "I told you so" from me. I'm happy that more people are aware of the potentials in NEOs and the like.

In the exceedingly remote chance of a solar mass ejection on the 29th there could be communication interruptions. TU24 won't have anything to do with it. It's happened before where services have been affected. Or maybe, let's say someone sets off a high altitude nuke or fires up the HAARP yeah sure some communications... could be affected. In the 60's a US nuke test knocked out quite a bit of of old-style communication infrastructure.

Mostly just great Northern/Southern Lights and weird radio skips... like picking up AM stations far away and normally out of range, cell interruptions and that sort of stuff. Most satellites are hardened or can be shutdown in some cases... energetic particles from the Sun do damage stuff.

Juicy I think I want to see how and what TU24org and BadAst have to say... and what "official" sources and MSM don't or do have to say. The Goldstone data from that day would be of mild interest too. Just to compare with NEODys. There's still some stuff unresolved... one more good set of data ought to do it.

Cheers,

Vic

[edit on 26-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

Could be symantics, but, if I misinterpreted you it was not my intent.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mungodave

Thanks. I'm still going to post as usual, being my opinionated self. I want to point out that when I'm posting, I'm just another member voicing an opinion.

I've said all along that this rock wasn't something I thought we needed to fear, and I still don't. But I would rather have things brought up and investigated, as we have done here, than to be kept in the dark by MSM. So in my opinion the OP did us a service.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

I will have to wait to breathe out at least until the 12th of February. I do not consider myself a doom sayer either. I am just looking at facts and trying to make sense of it. I just keep getting a queasy feeling that something is amiss.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Just one thing I dont understand about the Nasa simulation page.

If you change the settings to per hour & scroll through, you find that the distance changes every step you make, until you get to the 29th. Then it goes like this (in AU's):

etc

How can it not be getting closer from the first .40 - that is, for a number of hours it doesn't seem to be getting closer, it somehow slows down??

I think perhaps the data isn't as accurate as it should be?

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Hello everyone.

Not sure if it's been posted in here yet. But this story is really sending chills down my spine.

Mainly because it jogged my memory of what was known in 1999 as the Nasa Caveman, whom said an asteroid was on it's way.

Took a while to dig up the story, but here it is.

www.cyberspaceorbit.com...

According to what he said, it would happen within 8-9 years.

Any thoughts?

[edit on 26-1-2008 by Peace Frog]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
A couple days ago, there was a "Secret Door" show on Coast to Coast AM, and one guest said he had information/a letter from an anonymous NASA employee who said TU24's trajectory was wobbling so much and was so unpredictable that NASA was now saying there was a 50:50 chance of a direct hit.

Of course that could all be total crap... just wanted to add something new here.

Personally, at first when I heard about TU24, I was extremely worried, but then I was meditating and asking if there was anything to it, and I got the answer that nothing bad would happen. Usually I have a pretty reliable intuition, too, but my gut feeling tells me everything will be OK.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
That tu24.org guy posted something on his site about a credible source knowing this person or that person and yadda yadda again. Sounds familiar eh?

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by dshut69

Good one.
That's explained by the closest approach event and our planet exerting some attraction for it so it "bends" around us and swings back out in an arc to return again some years down the line. It really is neat.

The radar pic posted earlier was excellent! It's like so close now. Amateur astronomers will get it for sure. They say a 3 or 4 inch telescope might get something. For sure there's people out there with 8 and 11 inch trained and ready. It's 50 times too "dark" or faint to see with the naked eye. A perfect opportunity to learn a bit more.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

That's weird, because my entire guts are shouting out something major is about to happen, not that I'm worried or anything but that's what I'm "getting".

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by sylvie

Sylvie, it is wobbling and there are some deviations but as it has approached our planet our gravity seems to be reducing it a little and it hasn't deviated by NEODys measurements the last two daily observation periods. If it stays the same tomorrow we're golden. It could even be veering a little wider.

Well bless confidential sources huh? LOL. No. It's important that those with a story be free to tell it their way. Same for everyone. A little good science would be nice... actually this thread has been primo.

Cheers to the night owls,

Vic

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
hey, this is a disaster map: visz.rsoe.hu...

it shows disasters (duh) and tells you when it happened. Live updates. It even tells of any geomagnetic activity, solar storms, etc...

i think it's cool

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:08 PM
link   
i counted 19 volcano eruptions, that normal? lol

we are a very sesmicly active planet lol

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:14 PM
link   
What is amazing to me is that there has not been discussion from NASA and/or other's as to how this asteroid...if it is not a real threat...isn't seen as a prime opportunity to test technology which may be crucial in the future. That, to me, is the secret which they may not be discussing.

"Potential options identified in the NASA Report to Congress and discussed at the conference vary from slow-push techniques such as the gravity tractor and mass driver to more energetic impulsive techniques like kinetic impactors and nuclear explosives. Of course, technological development and verification is required for each, and the nuclear explosive option also requires addressing substantial public and international concerns."

Additionally, there are such extenive legal issues which have been brought up in this thread that point to the NEO protocol of delayed disclosure if a threat were identified. This is very concerning. They would not issue an alert if they did know...unless there was a virtual 100% certainty that it would hit because of fear of liability. I find these issues which this thread has served to raise, significant. And that doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of the vast divides among the NEO community that seem to exist. Public scrutiny now and in the future of the NEO threat and our policies to deal with these threats is imperative.

Unfortunately the light of investigation has led me to lose confidence in the reporting procedures that NASA and other's use to communicate their findings. There is a large information gap in their system which continues to leave questions...even up to today...where 2007 TU24 is concerned. When the public still has questions...and the authorities pretend like no more information is necessary....THAT is a problem. Everyone on this thread deserves a high five for the efforts that have gone into finding data on this threat. It hasn't been easy and we continue to dig. I so appreciate all that each of you has brought to this table. Thank you so very much. It has been a very enlightening thread.

Peace

[edit on 26-1-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Just noticed the first lightening split the sky a few moments ago here in Los Angeles. Here the weather has been stormy for the first time in a long time, but the major electricity in the sky - haven't seen that in a couple years.

Nothing abnormal, just rare, and the timing with the concerns of this assteroid make it a good night bundle up next to the window and watch the show.

posted on Jan, 26 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by dshut69
...... Then it goes like this (in AU's):.42;.41;.4;.4;.39;.39;.38;.38;.38;.38;.38;.38;.39;.39;.4;.41;etc

How can it not be getting closer from the first .40 - that is, for a number of hours it doesn't seem to be getting closer, it somehow slows down??

I think perhaps the data isn't as accurate as it should be?

I dshut69;

I am betting the SIX hour freeze on actual -min- distance probably reflects a few hundred kilometers of distance which the JPL modeler simply does not reflect in its hourly step readout. We could assume after the third 'stall' hour the distances would start coming back up through .0038 as you point out!

I want to pose a question and possible answer, to hear what people think?
(Source) echo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Jan 13 (‘Earlier’ echo/JPL data radio+visual observation)

Jan 24 (‘updated’ radar)

My question was how the Emoid can change between the two readings --without the actual distance changing!! The missing decimal place in the ‘actual (D) distance’ provided by the data sheet can only provide a margin of difference from 15-135km. (That is .003704(0)au to .003704(9)au)

So as long as the astronomers and math guru's reading this thread are fine with a:

+ 89.75km increase in Moid (the orbits have gotten a little farther apart)

produces a planet to asteroid distance 'no greater' than 120km - I guess I am fine with the data that Nasa has provided.

I do think its safe to ‘require’ a 120km difference because as the diagrams exaggerate, to end up with the ‘exact’ same distance at/near moid - would require a hidden change in one of the object's speeds – which the original tracks should have already accounted for?

I am still in the ‘gonna miss camp’ – but Nasa did us no service cheaping us out of that decimal place.

-And would like to challenge the NEODys Emoid number, as its been talked about here since the start while holding at 0.00099 / 98 au. near the Harvard number. Interestingly the NEODys site is down for "maintance" as I write.

[edit on 26-1-2008 by scrapple]

[edit on 26-1-2008 by scrapple]

new topics

top topics

<< 62  63  64    66  67  68 >>

join