It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Donoso

Of course it wont hit. What we can worry about is the possible Plasma discharge between Earth's Magnetosphere and the Asteroid.

On October 24th, 2007, Comet Holmes was the largest object in our solar system. 42% larger than our sun. For no apparent reason, it erupted from a very dim magnitude 17 to about magnitude 2.5 and its coma expanded to 2,000,000 km diameter.

IT IS POSSIBLE that asteroid 2007 TU24 is negatively charged like Holmes and will react when it enters our magnetosphere in a few days.

According to plasma cosmology, the difference in the electrical potential between Earth and TU24 will result in a plasma discharge between the two when TU24 reaches Earth's magnetosphere (as it is destined to do, from the calculations).

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I live very close to the ocean (surrounded by it in fact)
and very close to huge Air Force and Navy
bases. If a threat of tsunami is real the military will
be prepared and take measures to protect their assets.
The local international airport which shares runways
with the Air Force base may be aware as well, again
if it is a real threat.

There are so many signs of a coming doomsday
scenario natural, governmental, otherworldly,
whatever. I shot my TV long ago and don't have a
job and I still can't keep up with them all.

I choose not to live in fear and be prepared for the worst.
Unfortunately part of that preparation is going through
the buyer's escrow right now and a wrongful termination
settlement should be coming on the... 29th! DOH!

In the meantime I'll heep my fuel tank full, gym bag full
of goodies ready and be watching the air and maritime traffic..

[edit on 1/20/2008 by papiowhisperer]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donoso

Seriously folks, this object isn't even on the watch list. Even if this thing managed to defy the considerable odds and did crash into Earth, you'd be left with a relatively small area damaged. .

Watch the videos on pages 1 and 2, NOT PARTS OF THEM, and read those discussions, NOT PARTS OF THEM.

We, or maybe it's just me now, are NOT SAYING THE SPACE ROCK WILL HIT EARTH. We are saying that the space rock will make earth have a plasma discharge if the Space rock is negatively charged. IF POSITIVELY charged, nothing will happen, but if negatively charged, expect things to go not so well. We are not saying the earth and humanity will be completely destroyed.

[edit on 20-1-2008 by aaaauroraaaaa]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moegli
Of course it wont hit. What we can worry about is the possible Plasma discharge between Earth's Magnetosphere and the Asteroid.

The Earth's magnetosphere extends about 70,000 km or 45,000 miles. The asteroid will pass at about 334,000 miles. If there was a risk of plasma discharge, the moon is hundreds of times larger and about 40% closer, so it would fry us daily with millions of volts. We've also had dozens of asteroids pass much closer than this. We're still here and this is no different.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
First thing is that if you came across it on GLP, its not going to happen…

Even the folks on GLP have an inside joke about how they prevent such things from occurring by posting it on their board. As soon a prophecy is posted, it’s pretty much guaranteed to not come true. That is beside the fact that GLP has constant "end of the world" hoaxes. When I want to find out how the world is supposed to end today, I spin by GLP to find out.

Ok now some facts:
0.0025 AU (Astronomical Unit) is roughly equal to 1 LD (Lunar Distance)
1 LD is obviously the distance form the center of the earth to the center of the moon.

Object (2008 AF3) Passed us on the January 13th at .0025AU or 1 AU with no ill effects.

According to the Close Approach table, Object (2007 TU24) will be passing us at .0037 AU or 1.4 lunar distances on January 29th. To further clarify that, the moon has a .4 LD greater chance of hitting the earth, then that object does.

Here is a much better table to check on close approaches, and impact risks. Look down the Miss Distance (LD) Column of the Close approach table, if the distance is less then 1 its something to potentially keep an eye on, if not it wont even be close.

PS take GLP with less then a grain of salt. J

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by aaaauroraaaaa

Could you point to some credible source where this type of thing is mentioned, discussed or presented?

Thanks.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Show me some tangible source where this plasma discharge "event" you're talking about is discussed. That to me is your typical fear mongering nonsense, I followed comet Holmes very closely with my gear. The cause of the outburst can't be known definitely but there's absolutely no talk about anything that has to do with "plasma".

The 2 most likely reasons:

Collision with a meteoroid.

Gas build up within the comet's nucleus which broke through to the surface.

When did Holmes ever go near enough to do this sort of static rubbing you speak of? The outburst happened on its way to Jupiter. It wasn't near a planet during the outburst. How can you conclude then that the hypothesis you introduce is in any way realistic?

Where's the data? Proof? Any of it?

[edit on 20-1-2008 by Donoso]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:32 PM
link   
i'm not saying the rock thats coming will do massive damage to earth if it hits but if it were on a scale of upwards of that rock that took out the dinosaurs-i wouldn't want to be a survivor like one of our members hiding deep down in "safe" mines said he would go into.

a fast death would be better than starvation or watching your friends or enemies eat each other.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Donoso

Where's the data? Proof? Any of it?

[edit on 20-1-2008 by Donoso]

About 1/4-1/3 the way down the page there are 3 blog posts. Just because a person has a telescope doesn't mean they know what they are talking about, I can have a telescope too

I'm not saying it "rubbed" something, but rather understanding the concept of Plasma Cosmology.

thecosmicheart.blogspot.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythatsabigprobe

Originally posted by Moegli

The Earth's magnetosphere extends about 70,000 km or 45,000 miles.

In front, yes, but behind the path of earth it extends for up to 6,000,000 miles or KM, don't remember, I think it's in the 1st or second page of this thread or at TU24.org

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Could you point to some credible source where this type of thing is mentioned, discussed or presented?

Thanks.

define credible. what is credible to you may not be credible to me, and the other way around.

However, there are many links and threads in this board that point to things such as the JPL, or the fact that a person has to use the ability to think critically, connect the dots, and not just take things at face value of "bunk".

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I find it odd that multiple rocks are just showing up that weren't known of three months ago. Someone posted earlier that one passed closer than this one on the 13th. And Mars has a date with one also.

When Comet Holmes exploded or whatever it did to become the largest object in the solar system, how much debris was ejected and is it headed for the Suns gravitational pull? Running into planets and moons on its way there? We could just be beginning to enter the debris field.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by HimWhoHathAnEar
I find it odd that multiple rocks are just showing up that weren't known of three months ago. Someone posted earlier that one passed closer than this one on the 13th. And Mars has a date with one also.

are they negitively or positively charged?

And the one on January 13th passed at .0025AU and was 1/6 the size of Tu24, which will pass at .003xAU, the closet two objects to pass in the past 6 months, and the projected 6months.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   

In this case, I would consider credible a source that would base its opinion on available data, like previous occurrences of this type of event or measurements of the electrical charge of meteors, asteroids, etc.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   

and the projected 6months.

I'll take their 'projections' with a cup of salt at this point. If Holmes did eject debris then this may the first of these objects and I wouldn't count on them to tell me anything!

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Please... Feel free to enlighten us about what really happened in Russia In 1908 with the Tunguska meteorite, which didn't actually crash into earth?

How is plasma discharge bunk?

Aasteroid 2007 TU24 will pass roughly 560,000 kilometers (330,000 miles) from the Earth on January 29, 2008. A bit far for a plasma discharge, don't you think?

From my understanding, the Tunguska object exploded within our atmosphere. Also, we don't know why it exploded before impact.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaaauroraaaaa
are they negitively or positively charged?

It's a small piece of rock. It's not charged at all. Any more so than the stones in your garden are. And even if it were, in comparison with the size of teh earth, it'd be like comparing an AAA battery with 1,000 nuclear power stations ......

It's orbit has been known for a long time and it has no more to do with Comet Holmes than my last gas bill ....

Why do people keep making up such nonsense? Other than to deliberately and maliciously cause concern amongst those less knowledgeable about the subject?

[edit on 20-1-2008 by Essan]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Why do people keep making up such nonsense? Other than to deliberately and maliciously cause concern amongst those less knowledgeable about the subject?

Why do you have to get all defensive when people ask questions? This is a 'discussion' board isn't it? Oops, there I go asking questions again. Please forgive me O Benevolent and All Knowing One!

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Asking questions is fine.

Saying the world will end every five bl**dy minutes - and expecting people to beleive you - is not. It seriously annoys - and upsets me - that charlatans start these stories which some people then go on to believe.

But some people derive a perverse pleasure form starting these scare stories. And, sadly, some also make considerable financial gain out of it (TU-24 will destroy the earth, but give me all your money and I will ensure the Annuaki will beam us up to Nibiru and save us)

Edit: and if TU24 hits the earth, or fires a plasma discharge at us, you have my permission to come round, punch me in the face and say "I told you so"

[edit on 20-1-2008 by Essan]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I don't buy this plasma discharge thing. In the recent past it has never occurred. Every year we hear of an asteroid passing near earth. Did we ever see or measure a discharge?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join