It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 59
<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:22 PM
link   
will it be visibal in the night sky?? that would be kinda cool!!

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Can someone fill me in on what data is being analyzed by this matrix? Is it calculating a probability matrix? If so, then what of? What are these graphics, charts, and color discs really telling me?

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Reminder to All:Please use "Reply To" instead of quoting entire posts when composing your replies.

ABOUT ATS: Warnings for excessive quoting, and how to quote

thanks

[edit on 1-25-2008 by worldwatcher]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juicy
Have you still not thought about how much of this could burn up on its way down to us IF it were to do that?

Great point. At this time there is no way to be sure of degradation from friction as the substance and geology of the TU24 is pretty much a guess... Um, it's at least sort of solid... it doesn't appear to have a debris "cloud" (it could but it's not likely).

The earlier radar images would lead one to guess that it may be tumbling and irregularly shaped and generally not evenly balanced. Best guess? It's a rock. Maybe a bent potato shape rock. As it passes and leaves and more readings are gathered it may be possible to guess a bit closer as to it's composition. It's almost easier to say what it isn't.

"If" one could get more data... especially really powerful radar returns? Now who might have that and is getting returns from the Moon? The good kind, the kind that "doesn't exist"? Yeah, then we'd know much more and could hypothesize on an entry event and how one "might" burn up or explode (which isn't unheard of).

Even with the most pessimistic of number fudging... it still misses. Even winding the E MOID numbers in and down worst-worst... it still misses. I'll wait and see what the observations are at Spaceguard/NEODys tomorrow... and I'll try some more fiddling with the numbers. Two more days data will tell the story I hope. Closest I can reasonably get it at the nearest-point on the pass is right around 85,000 statute miles... without taking the ultra-glum view about 92,000 miles.

The light on the egg timer was blue and then winked off to gray. LOL.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by scrapple

Direct form wikipedia....
Ephemeris

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An ephemeris (plural: ephemerides; from the Greek word ephemeros = daily) is a table of values that gives the positions of astronomical objects in the sky at a given time or times. Different kinds are used for astronomy and astrology. Even though this was also one of the first applications of mechanical computers, an ephemeris will still often be a simple printed table.

The position is given to astronomers in a Spherical polar coordinate system of right ascension and declination or to astrologer in longitude along the zodiacal ecliptic, and sometimes declination. Astrological positions may be given for either noon or midnight.
An ephemeris may also provide data on astronomical phenomena of interest to astrologers and astronomers such as eclipses, apparent retrogradation/planetary stations, planetary ingresses, sidereal time, positions for the Mean and True nodes of the moon, the phases of the Moon, and sometimes even the position(s) of Chiron, Lilith, and other minor or imaginary celestial bodies. Some ephemerides also contain a monthly aspectarian, while others often include the declination of the planets as well as their longitudes, right ascensions or Cartesian coordinates.

Does that help explain the term better?

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:28 PM
link   
its not gonna hit us..everybody relax...

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by damajikninja

What I know about it is that they have these eggs and the eggs somehow they pick up good and bad vibes from all of us. They had this project running on 9-11-01 and they vibrated like crazy. So when something very bad is going to happen it is picked up in these eggs first or at the same time so they say. That is what they say it does, However the thing is in New Jersey and the shaking could have been from the ground shaking when the buildings collapsed.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasthope
Just imagine if it does hit -people dont see or worry enough all they are given is what is shown around them by the governing powers witch is all a complete lie inc nasa-
( don’t forget probable planet x and passing through the centre of the energy of the milky way)
There is probable corroborating data that show it missing ;if though it does hit I will be running with my cat up the tallest mountain I can find to avoid the tidal wave.

LOL I'm Lucky I already Live on a mountain at 1400 ft, nearly 200KM inland.

Hey, don't forget to wear your floaties on the 30th and mabe put some on your cat too...

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by HMR85
I do not know if anybody has posted this yet or not, but it appears fox news has finally put something up on Tu24 on there website. Just a mild description saying that it's going to come in really close and that anybody with a fairly good telescope should be able to see it on the night of January 29. It also hint's at what would happen if a rock of this size actually did hit the earth.

Here is the link (sorry if I did not post the link right)

TU24

*edited for spelling

[edit on 25-1-2008 by HMR85]

[edit on 25-1-2008 by HMR85]

I wrote an email off to Foxnews earlier today complaining about the lack of news on the asteroid. So far only a little note on the website. maybe more people writting Foxnews can get someone to look into it more. I would ask that as many as want to write them. On their website at the bottom is the "comments" email I used.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Fox posted the same thing everyone else did. This topic is obviously getting to be old news. I say everyone should start relaxing and enjoy their weekend.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
So I'm on the phone with a young friend and he's all keen on the study of astronomy and I don't know how it came up because I've had few-ish beer... under what scenario "could" this TU Two-Four puppy make a dent in our spaceship Earth on or about the 29th?

I like young people. They point out the obvious. This thing is tumbling and unbalanced and likely rock of some sort... indulge my assumptions for speculation sake. It's spinning and will have some centrifugal forces to it's motion... maybe unevenly distributed and shifting owing to the tumbling. Sometimes spinning things fly-apart or fracture from fatigue.

Well it's highly unlikely, but what if TU24 broke apart, say into just two large pieces for whatever reason (hits a big-#ss chunk of spacejunk, death-ray, garden variety munitions, aliens playing a prank, a big HAARP-shot - whatever) while spinning and tumbling toward our little happy family home? There would be a separation event and two new trajectories might be present that could diverge considerably from the current track.

It might not be an immediately predictable outcome.

That's the absolute worst I and two or three people can come up with for nightmare material... uncertainty. LOL. It "should" miss us. The chances of this occurring make zero look like a large value. LOL.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:08 PM
link   
C'mon now Vic, you are my sanity on this crazy thread lol. But then if it DID break apart it would be half its size and wouldn't have so much of an impact as it would as the huge thing it was, right?

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:14 PM
link   
You are correct. 100%. Two high energy targets with unpredictable trajectories. It's all speculative. I likely should not have mentioned it or maybe thought to ask. But the possibility no matter how remote is still a possibility.

Juicy we're fine on TU24.
Hug your kids anyway. It misses us - zoom, gone. Honest. There is really next-to-zero chance of a strike.

Vic

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by damajikninja

Some have posted and refered to this before, but i am not really sure. Its not very easy to read.
I think those eggs are vibrating like crazy for some reason today! I think it means we are in danger.

Actually, it is orangey color now so i think that s a 50% as opposed to a 90% probability of something drastic happening.

Does anyone know a simple explanation to these eggs?

Good grief, now we're relying on eggs.

[edit on 25-1-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

Plus there would be quite a few more things to go along with now 2 much smaller pieces of rock floating around. But now you have given the worriers something to put on top of that to worry about
To be honest, I haven't gotten much work done in the past few days and I'm sure the hospitals I work for are just thrilled with that. At least I work from home!
But really, I am not going to really worry about it anymore. I will still participate in the coversation about it when the mood strikes, but worry I shall not! My egg went gray on me earlier too

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

Yep, that's the Uncertainty Factor. (I know, somebody else called it by another name, but I refuse to be conventional. Besides, I don't want to look up the correct spelling of "the word we won't mention" right now.) Anything could happen. (Janet Jackson could have not had a wardrobe malfunction while I was in the bathroom.) The universe is scary that way.

But you take your best guess, from all the odds you have to hand, and you makes your bet. That's what humans have done for many thousands of years. It's what our ancestors have done from the ice age on down. (Before that they dated ugly partners without thought to how their children would look.)

We're just smart apes, clever at things in our own way. But the universe, nature, life, has had a long head start on our tiny little ape modified brains. So in the end, we still often have to take our best guess and go with our gut.

I will trust in a few hundred years of science along with an atavistic feel for when flight or fight or cold beer mode is due. Right now I'm for cold beer. I find TU24 to be beneath it's billing.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Juicy

In some ways we are fortunate (at this point) to know so little about 2007TU24... it could be plain old rock. There are other substances that could make it more of a concern and flying apart over "the gravity bump" as the forces of the Earth and Moon are peak or approaching failure point of the object's structure could make for an interesting day.

It's really no worry this time around and we can't do anything about it anyway.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
An interesting thing to think about is that this asteroid was first spotted and calculated only a few short months ago. But this was only another in what seems to be becoming the norm. It appears we could be entering an area of space where our solar system is intersecting within a path of these things. Only today there is another thread of something huge spotted near the sun during a flare.

One other thing. It was stated that if the asteroid was negatively charged that strange weather would happen prior to it's arrival as it enetred our Earth's magnetoshpere. Apart from snow in Bagdad and a tornado in LA, a mysterious blue haze covered a large area in Charlston WV today. There have been at least five 6.0+ earthquakes in different places in the last couple of days. Just something to keep watching.

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
The threat level for asteroid 2007 TU24 has just been elevated to a level two. See the link listed below. Expect varying degrees of electromagnetic disturbance. It looks like it's going to be negative after all.

tu24.org...

posted on Jan, 25 2008 @ 09:58 PM
link   
LOL I'm Lucky I already Live on a mountain at 1400 ft, nearly 200KM inland.

Hey, don't forget to wear your floaties on the 30th and mabe put some on your cat too...

Lol Got room for my crew?
Cheers
Mungo

Happy Australia Day !

new topics

top topics

<< 56  57  58    60  61  62 >>

join