It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 49
<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by whoreallyknows

maybe it could of blocks solar radiations from the sun? i dunno its a possibility

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:30 AM
link   
At least TPTB are

ATS Thread on Power Grid being hacked

keeping us informed of power interruptions so that this can be explained away if and when it might occur.

If the Gladstone data from yesterday would be added into the solutions by NASA it might help. There are to many potentially connecting dots on this one and not enough light on the subject. Flashlight anyone? So convenient that TPTB are in Switzerland near the bunkers this week discussing our roaring economy. Wonder if any of them will extend their stay for a bit of skiing over the 28-29th.

Aaargh

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I really don't think you can go off of weather alone to predict things. A couple years ago there were tons of hurricanes, in 2006 we had an insane ice storm here, and when was it that there was all that snow in New York? I remember we had a 6-point something or other earthquake in Alaska, and it honestly wasn't that bad. Sure, lightpoles were swaying pretty good and it feels like your legs are rubberized and you are bouncing when the ground is firm under your feet. I would rely on animals myself. And if they begin to ground flights then you know there is probably something going on. I figure if there is something that is going to happen, they have already figured out there is nothing they can do about it but try to survive, so why worry people with it now if it is inevitable?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:40 AM
link   
An interesting thing to note here I found this on the National natural science foundation of China web site...you may have to use a language translator for this...

babelfish.altavista.com...

www.nsfc.gov.cn...

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juicy
I would rely on animals myself.

I agree, if and when animals start to display odd behavior, chances are something devastating might occur.

DO NOT THINK THIS IS STUPID, best advice to everyone, rely on your intuition (gut feeling) not your intellect. If you understand you will not argue about it.

ED: wanted to say goodnight (live in AUS)

[edit on 24-1-2008 by Moegli]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Heres a gif , I made it fast sorry for the bumpiness.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by Tranceopticalinclined]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Everyone probably has a different intuition. At first when I saw this with zero information on it and someone screaming that the sky was basically falling, heck yea I worried. But now that I have read and researched for the past few days, I am not -too- worried myself. I am not saying it couldn't happen, but it isn't scaring me anymore, so to speak. And yes, there is odd behavior surrounding it, but I think that there can be odd things and information surrounding just about anything you find suspicious.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Did I mention that Phil Plait is flaming retard?

Congratulations Phil, you have managed to provide one of the internet's only sources for pure opinionated BS regarding TU24.

It also seems your jumping on the write a book about anything to make a buck bandwagon. Thats super great!

What a great contribution to science you are making.

Hope you continue to get rich off of uninformed people for many years to come.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   

For comparison of two potentially hazardous asteroids tracked by Nasa.

2007DT103 was first observed Feburary 2007 and received a final orbital solution date in September 2007 - 2 days after this last official observation. Based on the chart it got 2 Doppler and 1 radar delay observations in a 7 month period.

On the face of it:

1) The Astro community couldn’t get radar up in the short amount of time since TU’s first observation
2) Its southern approach to Emoid limits radar application

Concerning TU24, I’ll feel better about the numbers when I see a final orbital solution with at least 1 radar track.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I just realized something...Supposedly the higherups are near a bunker, and obviously people outside of their circle know about it..workers at NASA, possibly people at the BBC..just how many people know about it? Do you think that if this thing were to cause distruction like some are claiming it will that these people will not talk about it unless they have an incentive? Screw you, if we don't have a safe place to go when this thing gets here then why shouldn't we go ahead and broadcast it to the world instead of sitting on it? That is what I would say. What would be the motive for them NOT to tell the world? Of course you know you can't trust the government as far as you can throw them. If you know you will die anyway, why not risk getting this information out there? The worst that could happen is that you would be offed by some gov't weirdo. Plus it would be best if ALL the people who knew would come out about it. They can't kill every one who talks about it and make it look like a coverup.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Hey sorry to be a pain.. but im sure there are other's that are intrested to see the asteroid.

But why hasn't there been any picture's.

If there is please could some one link them.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Juicy

Well the thing gonna hit the Southern Hemisphere if it hits at all... So I'd rather not die in Riots in the Northern hemisphere for something that may ~ or a million times more likely ~ MAY NOT happen.

If it happens what would you do anyway? Panic and riot if you are 99% of the population - personally I shall cast an eye towards my beer supply just to check it's sufficient.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove

I took this into consideration, but the term seems to indicate that it is the distance to the earth at it's closest intersect with our orbit.

Fromabove. I hear you and I admit I dont speak Astronomeese. From my layaman's read MOID is simply the min point between the two orbits. Emoid would be any objects orbit in comparision to Earth's orbit.

So the difference in numbers most people see is between that of MOID minimum and an actual distance btw earth and asteroid.

Two bodies do not have to come to the shared (E)moid at the exact same time, thus the actual distance apart will most likely never reach the (E)moid value - and NEVER be less. (I hope)

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:21 AM
link   
2007 TU24 should never impact Earth. The closest it ever comes to Earth is 0.00125 which is about 1/2 the distance from the Earth to the Moon. On 1/29/07, 2007 TU24 will be at a distance of 0.0045 which would be about twice the distance from Earth to the Moon.

that was from a forum, is that true? an if so, is .0045 anything>?

some wiki info 2007tu24 info wiki style

This will HELP A TON!

The distances are approximate mean distances. It has to be taken into consideration that the distances between celestial bodies change in time due to their orbits and other factors.

* The Earth is 1.00 ± 0.02 AU from the Sun.
* The Moon is 0.0026 ± 0.0001 AU from the Earth.
* Mars is 1.52 ± 0.14 AU from the Sun.
* Jupiter is 5.20 ± 0.05 AU from the Sun.
* Pluto is 39.5 ± 9.8 AU from the Sun.
* The Kuiper Belt begins at roughly 35 AU
* Beginning of Scattered disk at 45 AU (10 AU overlap with Kuiper Belt)
* Ending of Kuiper Belt at 50-55 AU
* 90377 Sedna's orbit ranges between 76 and 942 AU from the Sun; Sedna is currently (as of 2006) about 90 AU from the Sun.
* 94 AU: Termination shock between Solar Winds/Interstellar winds/Interstellar Medium
* As of August 2006, Voyager 1 is 100 AU from the Sun, the furthest of any human-made object.
* 100 AU: Heliosheath
* 100-150 AU: Ending of Scattered Disk
* 500-3000 AU: Beginning of Hills cloud/"Inner Oort Cloud"
* 20,000 AU: Ending of Hills Cloud/"Inner Oort Cloud", beginning of "Outer Oort Cloud"
* 50,000 AU: possible closest estimate of the "Outer Oort Cloud" limits (1.0 ly)
* 100,000 AU: possible farthest estimate of the "Outer Oort Cloud" limits (1.6 ly).
* 125,000 AU: maximum extent of influence of the Sun's gravitational field (Hill/Roche sphere). beyond this is true interstellar space
* Proxima Centauri (the second-nearest star to Earth) is ~268 000 AU away from the Sun.
* The mean diameter of Betelgeuse is 2.57 AU.
* The distance from the Sun to the centre of the Milky Way is approximately 1.7×109 AU.

Some conversion factors:

* 1 AU = 149 597 870.691 ± 0.030 km ≈ 92 955 807 mi ≈ 8.317 light minutes ≈ 499 light-seconds
* 1 light-second ≈ 0.002 AU
* 1 gigametre ≈ 0.007 AU
* 1 light-minute ≈ 0.120 AU
* 1 microparsec ≈ 0.206 AU
* 1 terametre ≈ 6.685 AU
* 1 light-hour ≈ 7.214 AU
* 1 light-day ≈ 173.263 AU
* 1 milliparsec ≈ 206.265 AU
* 1 light-week ≈ 1212.84 AU
* 1 light-month ≈ 5197.9 AU
* 1 light-year ≈ 63,241 AU
* 1 parsec ≈ 206,265 AU

[edit on 24-1-2008 by Tranceopticalinclined]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Juicy

It really depends on the density/mass of the object. In this case it is unknown at least according to the data they have published. It could be anywhere from 3000 kg/m^3 (very fragile rock) to 8000 kg/m^3 (solid iron). Next largest contributing factor is TU24's velocity which is about 9.8m/s. If you look back in this thread you will find several places that a link was given to a impact calculator. Entering in the data (that has been released) it suggests that it would fragment but still hit the ground level in an area of only about .8km. Of course, the angle of entry needs to be input also, which even to me who has spent countless hours looking at data and charts are pretty unsure as to what could be a realistic value. The results give data i regarding the crater size, blast radius, etc....pretty interesting stuff.

I am just worried (as everyone else I would hope) that NASA servers seem overloaded and we can't seem to access the data anymore (which we all know was old, from Jan. 19th and they have new data as of yesterday afternoon, 23rd from Goldman in California). The Americans have financed NASA to the tune of billions of dollars and they don't have the nessecary server bandwidth capacity to handle this. WTF! Why? The American people aren't overloading it, not many people here know what is going on. It must be from foriegn internet users, I would think from Australia and New Zealand where this has gotten mainstream media attention. However, the report is just the same "watered down" or "approved" story saying it poses no threat, which isn't true! NO threat? This means 0! Zero chance, but the data released already proves that to be false judgement. Possible, but not likely, to be honest.

I doubt any American journalistic entity is going to pick it up and publish it. Why? Lawsuits. If I was an Australia or New Zealand resident and something does occur but I managed to survive, I would be filling a lawsuit against NASA the next day! "They said we were safe, there was no threat."

50/50 odds if you ask me, hopefully we will get the updated figures in a day or two. Had to go back and read the very first post to realize that this is standard operating procedure, 2-3 days for online updates from data aquisition. That is unless they never bother to update it. Keep in mind that they did this earlier this month, not updating online data for TU24 for a period of 11 days even though they were tracking TU24 during this time.

Personally, all signs point to...well total uncertainity with a gut feeling that something is wrong. As others have said, just calm down, don't panic, prepare if you can and stay constantly aware of your surroundings. Make your own determination as the time nears, but believe your government is not going to tell you all the whole story, it is up to you to use your own critical thought patterns to make your own determination.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by percievedreality]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Thats why I am saying the people outside of the government that know solid information on this should tell people if something bad will happen. Like I said, you might get off'd after you do so, but if (worst case scenario) you are gonna end up that way anyway, what would it matter?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Tranceopticalinclined

Sometimes I think wouldnt it be funny if we are chatting with peeps we actually know? Sometimes you read into what people say and place a face to them.

Anyhow check the jpl orbit modeler on the 29th. Switch to hourly steps and you'll see the actual (body to body) distance go down to .0038au if I remember correctly. Closer than .0045au - but still much larger than the MOID number (that nobody seems to want to finalize.)

Come on radar data. Mattguy#? has/had a radar photo of the beast up so they must have the data by now. Keep an eye on that stale Emoid value.

[edit on 24-1-2008 by scrapple]

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by scrapple

certainly would be, ive actually been recognized on the street here in baltimore for my myspace music page, haha

***quick flash over to NASA labs****

Theres a Gone Out for Lunch sign, and some Area 69 Ticket stubs lol. Computers Clicking an beeping,

**********Back at ATS labs***********

Everyone is going nuts over info that isnt fully out.

I must say its only a matter of time before we are shight---Canned.

In this huge junkyard of a universe someones interplanetary space rims are gonna put a rambler on our Sk8er.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 11:56 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I think it would be awesome if it got caught in orbit . Imagine Being alive when we "inherit" a new moon. It would be one of the greatest things ever .

top topics

<< 46  47  48    50  51  52 >>

join