It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 48
<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Juicy

Originally posted by planetfor_rent
reply to post by Fromabove

As for this one, the official MOID is still 0012501 which make it 187,585 Klms from Earth, or 122,000 Miles from the Earth, or less than half of one LD.

where did you take this info

To get the miles from Kilometers you have to multiply the Kilometers by .65 and that's how you get the number of miles.

Didn't they say it would be 300,000 something or another miles away? Why the change to 122?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by planetfor_rent

As for this one, the official MOID is still 0012501 which make it 187,585 Klms from Earth, or 122,000 Miles from the Earth, or less than half of one LD.

where did you take this info

Didn't they say it would be 300,000 something or another miles away? Why the change to 122?

Something got screwed up in my last post, so here it is again. To get the miles you have to multiply the Kilometers by .65 to get the number of miles.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fromabove
In relation to this asteroid, I have noticed that it was recently discovered, and also I've noticed that when we are at this point of space in our solar system, we get some near misses. In fact, some have argued that before the great Tsunami in SE Asia, there were reports of people seeing a fireball come down near Indoneasia. I will chack on that to be sure. I wonder how many "surprise" asteroids are out there waiting to happen our way with only a few months warning.

-dont forget one of the objects (Earth for instance) could be at the MOID on its orbital path and the other object (TU24) can still be 1.4 Lunar distances away from the same MOID.

The Nasa sites must be getting hammered - as all the links provided here today seem to time out. Oh and DIGG has a story today - from BBAstronomy I think (which doesnt give me any satisfaction mind you)

Stay sane and rational, nothing is uglier than human panick.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:02 AM
link   
I just want to draw a correlation to another thread here on ATS and some similarities - mysteries - coincidences - pure dumb unluck - that may or may not be related. Just seems like alot of information on this continues to be "blurry". At a minimum, the dates of the last time we had new, clear information is the same on both. Maybe NASA has just been on Holiday since January 19th.

blurry solar images thread

Peace.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Here you go, 2 days late though:

6.7 magnitude quake off Sumatra, Indonesia

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Ok this is my first post here, please be gentle. After reading most of this thread I decided to do some looking.

Fact, TU24 was removed from the potential impact list:
(Verbatim from the NEO site)
The following table gives a listing of such objects for which all previously detected potential impacts have been eliminated.

2007 TU24 2007-12-04 14:05
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

However, when you look at the data for TU24. It will pass 1.4 lunar distances approx. 555,000 Km form earth, or .0037% of 150 million kilometers.
(2007 TU24) 2008-Jan-29 0.0037 1.4 240 m - 550 m 9.25
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

This is awfully close to be removing it from the potential impact list. Have a look at the list yourself and see if anything else comes that close, not much does.....That certainly make me think.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Does anyone know whether I (in costa rica) with my telescope could see this thing?
dont know what time I could see it

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by scrapple

Originally posted by Fromabove
In relation to this asteroid, I have noticed that it was recently discovered, and also I've noticed that when we are at this point of space in our solar system, we get some near misses. In fact, some have argued that before the great Tsunami in SE Asia, there were reports of people seeing a fireball come down near Indoneasia. I will chack on that to be sure. I wonder how many "surprise" asteroids are out there waiting to happen our way with only a few months warning.

-dont forget one of the objects (Earth for instance) could be at the MOID on its orbital path and the other object (TU24) can still be 1.4 Lunar distances away from the same MOID.

The Nasa sites must be getting hammered - as all the links provided here today seem to time out. Oh and DIGG has a story today - from BBAstronomy I think (which doesnt give me any satisfaction mind you)

Stay sane and rational, nothing is uglier than human panick.

I took this into consideration, but the term seems to indicate that it is the distance to the earth at it's closest intersect with our orbit. What is surprising to me is that some other sites like the one from the people that discovered the asteroid put the MOID at .0009601, or slightly closer than the JPL site.

There is no need to panic. If the asteroid were negatively charged, we would have seen weather events and earthquakes alrady as well is communication disruptions. So if it hits it would be a local event devestating an area of perhaps a thousand squre miles or so, but still impressive.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
So I have no idea about scientifical things (my word!) so is the 122,000 how far it is away from Earth right now, or is that the closest it is estimated to be? Also, if this does enter our atmosphere how much of it is going to burn up before it reaches Earth? IF, of course, it did.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
And sorry if I repeat myself before I see answer, I didn't realized it had turned over a new page.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:11 AM
link   
I just don't understand why they can't decide on a number. Is it 122,000 or 550,000?

If they can't decide on a accurate number, then moving it off the possible hit list seems a little stupid.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   

So I have no idea about scientifical things (my word!) so is the 122,000 how far it is away from Earth right now, or is that the closest it is estimated to be? Also, if this does enter our atmosphere how much of it is going to burn up before it reaches Earth? IF, of course, it did.

That would be it's closest approach to us. Satalites orbit at about 30,000, so it would be about three times that distance. The problem is, that if it gets caught in the gravity field of the earth, the Earth could pull it in. It is going slow in passing due to our rate of speed compared to it's rate of speed in nearly the same direction. It would be like you following a car in front of you who is doing 60 miles per hour and you are doing 70 miles per hour. The real difference is only 10 miles per hour.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Johnny Sasaki
I just don't understand why they can't decide on a number. Is it 122,000 or 550,000?

If they can't decide on a accurate number, then moving it off the possible hit list seems a little stupid.

yes... there's something to ponder when they can't seem to nail it down. It was at 550,000, but over recent weeks and months got closer and closer as they got it more precise.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:15 AM
link   
i just took a look at replies here /might have missed it ----coast to coast last night--george noree?--sorry name spelling not sure of---was saying that its now down to a 50/50 chance of hit or no hit of the earth as far as nasa guys can figure as they try not to panic us by keeping quiet---apparently this "rock" is swirling around besides .ing this way--so it depends on which side of the earth it swirls towards or away from as it passes by?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:16 AM
link   

If the asteroid were negatively charged, we would have seen weather events and earthquakes alrady as well is communication disruptions.

Originally posted by Moegli

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:18 AM
link   

If the asteroid were negatively charged, we would have seen weather events and earthquakes alrady as well is communication disruptions.

I guess that would be a start. Now if they ground all the aircraft on the 28th then we would really know. Look for communication disruptions, and radio noise as well.

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Its weird they havent updated this site yet about anything, u would think they would wanna say something about it on this site!

impact.arc.nasa.gov...

man anyone know how you would know if its gonna hit? is there any earth effects besides that earthquake?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Do you think the recent worldwide cold snap has anything to do with this?
Big Freeze

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:26 AM
link   
So how much of these rocks normally burn up on their way down? Is there always a certain percentage or different for every one of them?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 10:28 AM
link   
all has to do with mass, what ever the mass of this is about a certain percentage will burn up pending of its composite,

just has alot to do with where and how fast and and what it is made of.

new topics

top topics

<< 45  46  47    49  50  51 >>

join