It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo

Originally posted by damajikninja
reply to post by undo

LMAO Approach Vector!!!

Without detouring too far from the thread topic, can you quickly tell me what you think Wormwood is?

Ain't it a cool phrase? Sorta like "Targetting computer" and bullseyeing wamp rats in the t-16 back home.
(they're not much bigger than two meters.)

The odds of successfully navigating an asteroid field are approximately 3720 to 1!

Never tell me the odds.

Famous phrases for 2000, Alex.

Anyway, well I'ma thinking that Wormwood is a huge mothership. There are several reasons for this, including the fact it poisons the water, which a rock is just not gonna do unless it's a very weird rock

this is in reference to this quote of your undo. "including the fact it poisons the water, which a rock is just not gonna do unless it's a very weird rock
" i know about a rock called "black rock" its found in mines and in space. but whats so interesting about this rock is that its perfectly safe to handle and whatever, but soon as it gets wet, this rock starts to leak, or "bleed" if you will and highly acidic substance... i have some of this rock at hom,e my grandfather works for a mining/quarry company. its rather a weird rock. perhaps wormwood could be a shower of this? enough of that rock would cause alot of water to become "poisoned". there are also other rocks that have messed up characteristics like that, but i dont know them off the top of my head. (sorry for going off topic)

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Even with an extremely low AU there's no way in hell this would ever hit mainstream news as a front story. The potential for mass panic would be unprecedented.

On a completely different note, has anyone noticed the increased showings of the movie "Deep Impact" lately. Time to stock up on dry goods & n95 masks.

imdb.com...

brill

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I feel like I'm isolated. The media is avoiding this completely (not surprising). Type in GOOGLE NEWS: 2007 TU24 or simply TU24, then come back here.

ED: There's the possibility NASA is withholding information until it can be verified or, non-coverage to avoid mass panic and riots etc.

[edit on 20-1-2008 by Moegli]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Moegli

Did that already. Not one hit.

It's the sucker punch for us.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by verylowfrequency
I don't buy the 50/50 chance. If it were that close there would be more signs.

Look at it this way the Comet Holmes event along with this event is an educational warning to be prepared.

Now we've learned a few new things - a plasma discharge can screw us even if we won't be hit, with all we know a NEO can still sneak up on us in 3 months or 3 days without our being aware of it & making a media event out of something that might not happen could possibly be worse, so it's better to not let the sheeple know as even if they did there's nothing we can do for everyone anyway and if nothing much happened nobody wants to take the blame for the damage for nothing.

Now, I'm going to check my escape pack to make sure my supplies are up to date - just in case.

Hope this has no connection to the latest ufo reports. That would be pretty messed up if they were hanging out to observe the event - then again maybe they'll push it out of the way with their electro magnetic pulsed tractor beam.

Just wondering does anyone know how best to prepare or avoid plasma discharge damage - just in case?

[edit on 20-1-2008 by verylowfrequency]

"Hope this has no connection to the latest ufo reports. That would be pretty messed up if they were hanging out to observe the event - then again maybe they'll push it out of the way with their electro magnetic pulsed tractor beam."

1. doubt they;d save us... i wouldnt. and
2. hell yeah the'll probably be here only to get a good vantage point. its not too far fetched to think about how amny people visit snuffx and rotten dot com? even ogrish was a big one too.... for all we know earth could be a big snuff film to them. and it would be once in a lifetime aswell, even for ET.

there have been increasing sighting of this huge craft all over the world.

so there are many of them now around us. for all we know they are sitting there and nasa can see them, they wont tell us..

its giving me chills, i live in australia, im screwd if this thing hits.

what are the odd hey? you join a conspiracy thoerists website and in that same week you find out the world is ending... bastards... save me jebus. lol

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

According to the Earth Impact Effects Program, a rock of that size would make some serious damage. Not on a global scale, but at a distace of 100km it would be strong enough to break glass windows.

Your Inputs:
Distance from Impact: 10.00 km = 6.21 miles
Projectile Diameter: 300.00 m = 984.00 ft = 0.19 miles
Projectile Density: 3000 kg/m3
Impact Velocity: 17.00 km/s = 10.56 miles/s
Impact Angle: 45 degrees
Target Density: 2500 kg/m3
Target Type: Sedimentary Rock

Energy:
Energy before atmospheric entry: 6.13 x 1018 Joules = 1.46 x 103 MegaTons TNT
The average interval between impacts of this size somewhere on Earth during the last 4 billion years is 3.0 x 104years
Atmospheric Entry: The projectile begins to breakup at an altitude of 54000 meters = 177000 ft
The projectile reaches the ground in a broken condition. The mass of projectile strikes the surface at velocity 16.1 km/s = 10 miles/s
The impact energy is 5.53 x 1018 Joules = 1.32 x 103MegaTons.
The broken projectile fragments strike the ground in an ellipse of dimension 0.904 km by 0.639 km

Crater Dimensions:
Crater shape is normal in spite of atmospheric crushing; fragments are not significantly dispersed.
Transient Crater Diameter: 4.04 km = 2.51 miles
Transient Crater Depth: 1.43 km = 0.888 miles
Final Crater Diameter: 4.88 km = 3.03 miles
Final Crater Depth: 0.477 km = 0.296 miles
The crater formed is a complex crater.
The volume of the target melted or vaporized is 0.0348 km3 = 0.00835 miles3
Roughly half the melt remains in the crater , where its average thickness is 2.71 meters = 8.89 feet

Thermal Radiation:
Time for maximum radiation: 0.219 seconds after impact
Visible fireball radius: 2.75 km = 1.71 miles
The fireball appears 6.25 times larger than the sun
Thermal Exposure: 1.90 x 105 Joules/m2
Duration of Irradiation: 46 seconds
Radiant flux (relative to the sun): 4.13

Seismic Effects:
The major seismic shaking will arrive at approximately 20 seconds.
Richter Scale Magnitude: 6.7
Mercalli Scale Intensity at a distance of 100 km:

VI. Felt by all, many frightened. Some heavy furniture moved; a few instances of fallen plaster. Damage slight.

VII. Damage negligible in buildings of good design and construction; slight to moderate in well-built ordinary structures; considerable damage in poorly built or badly designed structures; some chimneys broken.

Ejecta:
The ejecta will arrive approximately 144 seconds after the impact.
At your position the ejecta arrives in scattered fragments
Average Ejecta Thickness: 2.39 mm = 0.094 inches
Mean Fragment Diameter: 3.01 cm = 1.19 inches

Air Blast:
The air blast will arrive at approximately 303 seconds.
Peak Overpressure: 10000 Pa = 0.1 bars = 1.42 psi
Max wind velocity: 22.6 m/s = 50.6 mph
Sound Intensity: 80 dB (Loud as heavy traffic)
Damage Description:
Glass windows will shatter.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Check out the picture of the volcano on this site, Its very Erie looking. 1.4 LD is not that big of a deal if thats the real distance. NASA needs to get off its butt and find better ways to spot and track these things. Unless they do and just don't tell us.

sty

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:25 AM
link   
it would be interesting to calculate the effect of the Earth gravity when this asteroid passes 0.0038 AU (1.2-1.4 LunarDistance i guess) . Maybe we will have another natural satellite very soon ! and maybe it is made up of gold!

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by sty

Say, that would be cool.

ArMaP, as far as a rock breaking glass when it lands here, wouldn't you be more concerned about being road pizza under it?

[edit on 1/20/2008 by Anatomic Bomb]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by judasfish

Same here brother, I live in Sydney (ON THE COAST), a tsunami would NOT make my day.

The public should be informed regardless of societal consequences. Also I want to note, here in Australia a TV channel decided to air an Earth impact documentary (with dramatization) a few weeks ago. Never thought there was going to be a correlation.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by brill
Even with an extremely low AU there's no way in hell this would ever hit mainstream news as a front story. The potential for mass panic would be unprecedented.

On a completely different note, has anyone noticed the increased showings of the movie "Deep Impact" lately. Time to stock up on dry goods & n95 masks.

imdb.com...

brill

Yeah, it's already hit some of the major online news sites & has been deleted from every one of em..lol

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   
This story from GLP doesn't add up for me, and I think anyone who knows anything about NEOs would agree.

They claim a 50% chance of impact, and then in the next breath say that object will pass perilously close the ISS and some other satellites. If they can only predict a 50% chance of hitting an object which is thousands of km in diameter, how can they say with any certainty at all that it will hit/come close to an object like a satellite or the ISS which is only a few meters. I don't buy it. I'm calling BS on this one!

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Query:
If NASA is so concerned, why was this object REMOVED from the potential impact list as of 04-12-07? I am still very new to this, but here is the link...sorry if I have posted it incorrectly. Edited to provide correct removal date.
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

[edit on 20-1-2008 by althea041724]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Just wanted to add that I was at the station all last night (love covering overnight shifts...) and I did not hear one peep about this over either my FOX box or "Red" box.

Its odd, even if its not a big story.. I still hear alot of "firsts" before it goes on the air or website.

The models and diagrams from JPL are extremely intriguing to me, but I just don't think there is enough info out there yet unfortunately.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 09:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Anatomic Bomb

No.

The effects that I posted were for a distance of 100km from the impact point.

A circunference with a radius of 100km covers an area of 31,415.92 km².

Earth has a total of 510,072,000 km², 16,236 bigger than the area that would affected in the way I posted, so I am not worried about it, even if we were sure that it would hit the Earth.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

Sure there isn't enough info out there yet.

But the thing is, it's only a week away from happenning "or not" & thats whats scary.

By the time it dose hit the news stands, the bloody thing will prolly be landing in my lap as I'm watching the news story about it...hehehe

apc

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Sweet! Too bad it's most likely to hit water if it's Southern Hemisphere. I mean widespread death and destruction from tsunami is cool and all, but land-impacts make for better television.

So it's most likely to pass outside the orbit of the Moon, eh? That sucks. We've been capable of detecting and documenting a significant impact for almost a hundred years now. We're due for something hefty to report on.

I turned on my TV the morning of 9/11 just as the second plane entered frame. I want to turn on my TV to see a helicopter circling an impact crater just as another fragment falls out of the sky.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 09:22 AM
link   
The only questions that linger in the back of my mind is..

If it was definitely going to hit the States or any other high populated world region, would there be a higher probability of them saying something beforehand?

If it was definitely NOT going to hit the States or any other high populated world region, would they hold on to that info just to hold off a world panic?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
jews the world over are angry with the prime minister of israel for doing nothing for those living in the community of sderot to effectively stop daily rocket barrages from gaza slowly destroying every home there while he is busy building a nuclear fall out shelter under his castle in jerusalem.

at the same time a nuke shelter with quick road to the airport is also being built at the knesset.maybe he already knows something the rest of us have just been kept in the dark about?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TwiTcHomatic

if the conspiracy theories concerning the nwo are true and they want to reduce the worlds population and get to keep whats left all to themselves---why would they care how many "rocks from space" fall on us ?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join