It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Umm by the way, why is sky so bright right now? I just looked out in the sky and it's not really dark outside......it's like 12:25AM right now.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Moegli
reply to post by Yknot

Actually, the Moon turns red moments before a lunar eclipse as the Sun slowly ducks behind Earth projecting the red color of dust onto the Moon.

I was hinting at the possible Plasma discharge of the Asteroid, possibly making it look red in the sky hence, the 'Red Kachina'.

Exactly what I was implying, as some have interpreted that verse as meaning red sky AND moon...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   
echo.jpl.nasa.gov...

This site administered by:

Dr. Steven J. Ostro | PHONE: (818) 354-3173
300-233 | FAX: (818) 354-9476
Jet Propulsion Laboratory | email: ostro@echo.jpl.nasa.gov
Pasadena, CA 91109-8099

I wonder what this guy knows. FOIA, anyone?

reply to post by TheoOne

Is there a full moon out where you are?

[edit on 1/23/2008 by damajikninja]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheoOne
Umm by the way, why is sky so bright right now? I just looked out in the sky and it's not really dark outside......it's like 12:25AM right now.

I don’t know about tonight, its overcast and stormy here tonight, but last night there was a heck of a full moon out there.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Well perhaps if you go out and look at all the sides of the sky, it's like one side is really bright and then other side is a bit dark.

Oh well, maybe it's just me tonight

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I'm in college right now so I have #loads of bottled water, Nature Valley Bars, Beer, lighters, some tools, cup of noodles, and beef jerky. I grew up in a small town, so I have some survival skills.

I believe it won't hit earth and I'm not sold about negative asteroids. How can an asteroid have a negative charge? I thought only comets could be negatively charged, but I'm rather ignorant when it comes to asteroids and comets.

www.holoscience.com...

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Here are the contents of the email I just sent to Dr. Steven J. Ostro, the man credited for administering the TU24 information webpage at JPL/NASA.

Dr. Ostro:

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has sparked quite a debate among my colleagues, and I was hoping you might be able to answer some questions or redirect them to the appropriate JPL staffer.

We have seen very little news regarding TU24 from mainstream outlets. It seems odd that WD5's less exciting encounter with Mars should receive more attention than the close-proximity event with TU24 and our own planet. I realize that you cannot answer directly for the news outlets, but your opinion of this would be helpful.

Also, I hope that you might be able to help resolve some uncertainties regarding the event itself. How close will this object actually come to Earth and our moon, and what arc will it take as it flies by? The distances provided by your site as well as others seem to be frequently updated with new info, resulting in my curiosity. Would I be correct to assume that JPL/NASA has little trajectory data for this NEO?

Finally, what is known of the composition and electromagnetic properties of TU24? Is it considered to be a plasma discharge threat in any way, as the Tunguska meteor event in Russia is believed to have been? I might also ask if you have knowledge of any impact threat to Earth or its moon.

I'd like to thank you in advance for your attention to my inquiries.

Best regards,

L Brent Reynolds
Webmaster & Network Technician

Alaska Bar Association
550 W 7th Ave
Suite 1900
Anchorage, AK 99501
(907) 272-7469

[edit on 1/23/2008 by damajikninja]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by damajikninja

Excellent work Dama....... looking forward to the reply....... if it comes.
Cheers
Mungo

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I ran the software on the Nasa Site to the closest proximity within an hour.
The asteroid comes withing .0038 AU.

an AU is 92955887.6 miles.

The date of closest proximity is Jan 29 2008. The hour is not displayed.
Someone dependable in a math way please feel free to calculate the distance.

I came up with 353232 miles. But I am a notorious miscalculator.

It may be close in an interplanitary sense but I will not be worrying the kids about this, by hugging them too much that night!

Do you want NASA freaking the family out every time sloppy math gets under an AU? I do not blame them for preventing a public horror show over their data. This number does not even account for the error factor.

I would hope that the folks who really know would let the rest of us in on it if the error goes insignificant, and the probability of a strike goes high.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:48 AM
link   
reply to post by CPYKOmega

Being a patient type and having read the entire thread I saw that no-one had provided a detailed response to your query regarding the relative concerns of those two asteroids (2008 AF3 and 2007 TU24).

I think the reason for some concern -- whether on the part of NASA or others -- lies in the size of TU24. Asteroid 2008 AF3, at only 27m (estimated diam) is so small that even if it had entered our atmosphere it would have had very little serious effect, relative to the results 2007 TU24 could generate if it does so. With an estimated size of 400m, 2007 TU24 is 14.8 times larger than 2008 AF3. Of course, as the exact overall dimensions and composition of neither asteroid are known, we can only make some assumptions about their relative mass, but even if they were of roughly the same shape and density then TU24’s volume/mass is about 3,200 times greater than that of AF3’s. (14.8 cubed.)

With those relative proportions the difference in effect is like comparing a collision between a parked car and an empty runaway shopping cart weighing about 10 kg and the same car being hit by a runaway 30-ton truck.

That’s why we are concerned about it. I for one am not convinced that it is going to hit us or even graze our atmosphere, but all the same (like many others) I am somewhat perturbed by the lack of media coverage. Surely, if there is zero chance it will impact, one would expect reports in the media about it, seeing as it’s the closest any known, decent-sized (hazardous) asteroid is going to get to the earth for the next couple of decades or so.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 03:58 AM
link   
reply to post by antar

Just to confirm what others have mentioned, there are some strong correlations between whale (and dolphin) beachings and seismic activity, and there was a significant quake off the south island of NZ on Sunday Jan 20. The data can be found here
on the USGS site.

Those latest beachings may indicate that further seismic events are likely in the next two or three days. And yes, there were whale beachings immediately prior to the tsunami in Dec 2004. The theory is that either the geomagnetic effects mess up the whales' ability to navigate or the subsonics prior to a larger quake -- which whales can hear though we can't -- disturb them and put them off course.

However, to keep this in the context of this thread, I cannot see any correlation between whale beachings, earthquake activity and approaching asteroids. TU24 is still too far away to have any effects at all and even if it were to impact (which I doubt), the seismic effects would be consequent and would not happen prior to it striking the planet's surface. Ergo, it wouldn't make the whales beach.

But the whales being a good guide, it would be worth keeping an eye out for a fairly major seismic event in the Pacific rim in the next few days. Sound travels a long way through water.

Regards,

Mike

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   
i have seen another thread about increased police patrol all over the world that started at latest about 3 weeks ago can the increased patrols and this asteroid have somethign in common. does the government already know there is going to be impact and they are jsut preparing?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 04:40 AM
link   
I just wonder if this asteroid will magically have IRANS name on it.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:19 AM
link   
I think anyone seriously worried about TU24 should do well to remember what happened on the 3rd July 2006. I'm sure that's a date none of us will ever forget?

You forgot?

That's when a larger asteroid - between 300m and 800m across - passed within 0.0029AU or 268,624 miles of North America.

en.wikipedia.org...

So why is anyone worried about a smaller object that doesn't come so close?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Like I've previously mentioned some pages back, the only reason TU24 is getting special treatment is because it has its own damn website, for starters. If you Google it, it comes up as a sponsored link. People have paid to have it as a sponsored link, so someone is generating interest in it for some reason or another

[edit on 23-1-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Regarding the tu24.org website, i actually did a whois on it the other day, and just went back and it has changed since last night. The registraar I saw was some dude from Hong Kong, and it had his personal name, address, phone number, email etc, now its a generic dns host from Nowhere USA. www.betterwhois.com...

It's prolly just some joe tryin to help out so I wont divulge the details i remember, but I just thought I'd mention that.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Shar_Chi

VERY important find Shar_Chi. That needs to tagged, or flagged, or something, that might be the first piece of evidence that starts to unravel this whole thing. I find it very odd that it was a sponsored link... He's obviously paid to have it promoted.

Maybe we can link that guy with the guy that's posting those YouTube vids?

The story of "my friend who works at NASA knows colleagues that..." sounds like the wording of a good old fashioned web myth. I've found that story in a few places, it just gets repeated everywhere.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Aye, well google adwords aren't really expensive as such, and the main data is coming from nasa, so this guy is really just sensationalising a little bit - nothing new about that. Even a search on 'gilf' yields adwords

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Here's a little thought just from me.

I've read the whole thread, and went from panic, to anger, to laughter to anger to panic which each thread. My past 20 years of my life has been struggling with depression and paranoia, so this thread didn't help my case at all.

If people are concerned about no media coverage, what's stopping someone from "running with the ball," and contacting someone from their local media to ask if they've heard anything about this... Unless there's some sort of penalty by death for speaking out and asking questions, I think we need to put this to bed already.

EDIT: unless there now IS a penalty of death....
weeeeoooooowwwweeeeooooooo!!

[edit on 23-1-2008 by moist]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I have personally contacted the schiapparelli observatory here in Italy and they have told me that there is absolutely no worries about this asteroid....

new topics

top topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join