It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 33
<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
I had to go grocery shopping today and I couldn't help but notice how crowded the store was.
I decided to take notice of what people had in their carts to buy.
I was totally amazed to see flats of bottled water in each cart and trays of canned food in almost every cart in the store.
It's not hurricane season here right now so it does make me wonder about how much these people know.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

Remember there was a huge 'crash' in the stock market the past few days. However, today the market bounced back up pretty well; not great though.

I think its quite possible the two events are linked in some way, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

There's been a lot of talk of war recently as well.

Something big is up, and I don't know if this is THE event, but we're getting close for sure.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

Yeah it is possible. I was sort of thinking whether or not it was possible for earth to slingshot it and increase its speed. You are probably right that our gravitational pull wouldnt affect it. It is probably to far away.

In case you were interested, this link probably explains it better than me

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Does anyone have a capture or working link of the BBC astroid video? That is the thing that has me really interested. (Aside from seeing the MSNBC Money Honey standing in Davos today reporting - nice hat b*tch.)

Is TU24 a legit rock out there coming in for a fly-by? How can I ever know, with my stinking binoculars!! All I have is the word of others really when it comes right down to it.

Will it be used by TPTB to shock and awe us into alien submission...cant say, but they've had us by the short hairs using other just as mundane methods before right? War,famine,religion,race,poverty,education (lack of) , the Internet, etc etc etc.

best,
-scrap

[edit on 22-1-2008 by scrapple]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Hmmm look at what is stated here from :Space Daily

Given the estimated number of near-Earth asteroids of this size (about 7,000 discovered and undiscovered objects), an object of this size would be expected to pass this close to Earth, on average, about every 5 years or so. The average interval between actual Earth impacts for an object of this size would be about 37,000 years. For the January 29th encounter, near Earth asteroid 2007 TU24 has no chance of hitting, or affecting, Earth.

Wishful thinking?

[edit on 22-1-2008 by searching_for_truth]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:47 PM
link   
reply to post by searching_for_truth

I hope that their 'wishful thinking' is right. I wouldn't mind a nice fireworks display in the sky. However, I am not wishing for mass chaos and panic. Then again, it would be nice to have a 'reset' button when society starts to head for the crapper (as it has been for a while now).

I'm not so much afraid of the catastrophe this thing will cause, more like the surge in police and military abuse resulting from such an event (Martial Law, Police State...You know, fun stuff).

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ncuncfan2006
According to all the legitimate sites ive seen this thing is not a threat to us. Or are all these sites saying no threat in on the conspiracy?

Worse case scenario a direct hit = localized damage.

Lets hope, but I also might add that it would be a major bummer if my celly didnt work long after the 29th.............

An aside, the Shuttle is coming home this weekend from ISS, - I think I saw today. Where is Capt Lear when we need him to speak on such things ... probably bunker'd down with Ron Paul in his NV silver mine I bet.

One last admittedly B.S. (on my part) parting shot in the dark, ever wondered why the GOP moved the Florida Primary this year. They said it was to better influence the Pres. pick, but they had to take a 1/2 total delegate penalty for putting it on our (MOID) day. Pushing little george's last farewell speech to the night before. Sometimes even I can get a little too conspiratorial.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I don't see why the big hype over this asteroid. There have been many many asteroids which have come just as close if not closer in previous years and no one payed any attention to them.

Heck, I remember about a year ago checking spaceweather.com and noticed that one of them came ~1.0LD from earth. That would be closer then this current asteroid which is going to come 1.4LD from earth.

Attached is a pic I just took of the current asteroids which pose a threat and low and behold there is an asteroid which will come even closer to earth then the one we are all worried about.

This article about Nasa being concerned is pure speculation.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by MagicaRose

I was at the Wal-Mart tonight and almost all the bottled water was gone

I couldn't believe it! To be safe I've picked up plenty of water, and canned goods. I don't know whats going to happen but my gut tells me something is up. It's always better safe then sorry in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by whoreallyknows

I haven't noticed anything like that here in Australia, where the thing is 'supposed' to hit, as the theorists have been saying. For people to be stocking up in anticipation, they would have to know something. And how many people would even know what the heck TU24 is? However, I do have the inexplicable feeling that something is awry. Probably the economic jitters more than anything

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
yeah im in Newcastle NSW Australia and havn't seen mass purchases of bottled water but did see a funny news report on SBS claiming that the Asteriod will be very very close to hitting somewhere in Oz...... So maybe this has to do with the sudden fall of Australian stocks etc ???

Well im ready for it
just incase...... lol

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:33 PM
link   
yeah im in Newcastle NSW Australia and havn't seen mass purchases of bottled water but did see a funny news report on SBS claiming that the Asteriod will be very very close to hitting somewhere in Oz...... So maybe this has to do with the sudden fall of Australian stocks etc ???

Well im ready for it
just incase...... lol

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Looks like I am not the only one seeing this bottled water thing going on. I was going to mention it on here Sunday but forgot to. But I went in the store and the store was selling water for $1 per bottle. Normally its around 69 cents a bottle. Yet people were buying it like you wouldnt believe. The worst part was the snow was done with and we didnt get crap for snow. A dusting on Friday night and people are buying it up by the cart fulls on Sunday something isnt right.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by hildar

we pay like 1.79 or so for a bottle of water up here.

I buy the big 8 litre 5 dollar jugs.. it lasts longer, and its got no poison in it like tap water.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Source 2008 Jan 23 2007 TU24 Yes Yes Scheduled. Extremely strong target. Also scheduled at Arecibo

Source (Its not letting me link it but its NASA

EXTREMELY STRONG TARGET*

Can someone please splain this to me? Thank you.

Note: I beleive this is the absolute latest on this thing.

[edit on 22-1-2008 by dgtempe]

EXTREMELY STRONG TARGET

[edit on 22-1-2008 by dgtempe]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by CavemanDD
reply to post by hildar

we pay like 1.79 or so for a bottle of water up here.

I buy the big 8 litre 5 dollar jugs.. it lasts longer, and its got no poison in it like tap water.

lol just because its in a bottle does not mean it is safe. I used to be a water tester (water treatment system salesman lol) and i tested our 5 gallon jug of "safe" water and it was just as bad as the tap water. This was just one brand though. I also tested a different brand and it came out nice and clear.

About the shipping, I have been feeling compelled to stock up on food and water myself. I do not feel comfortable if I do not have a weeks worth of extra food and water extra. I know a week isnt much, but I used to just shop for what we needed for the next 5 or 6 days.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Hildar ughh If im not mistaken you live in NC right? Well ive lived here my whole life, 34 years never moved out of state. One thing is the word snow in NC sends people in a frenzy they rape the grocery store. This is nothing unusual anyone who has lived in NC any amount of time can verify this.

I also saw you saying something about cold temps in NC 21 or below, again nothing unusual typical NC weather this time of month you never know what your gonna get. Always been that way since i can remember. You seem paranoid.

I bet if you polled people in NC or across the country 90%+ wouldnt know what TU24 was.

Even if it really were gonna hit how many people in the general population would know about it ? Most people arent like us and dont give much thought about aliens ,space, asteroids etc. They are just busy with their mundane everyday routine in there life.

Cmon people lets be realistic you are grasping at straws.

[edit on 22-1-2008 by ncuncfan2006]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It don't sound too good. What's an EXTREMELY STRONG TARGET?

Sorry I can't explain it dg. Think I'm gonna buy some water.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Hey DG…
It simply means the strength of the signal returned from the target, for example here is another asteroid labeled “extremely strong”:

Goldstone observations are scheduled on March 4, 7, 9, 10, and 12 and Arecibo observations are scheduled on March 5. 2000 PN9 will be an extremely strong radar target during the first two Goldstone tracks but much weaker on the other three as the asteroid rapidly recedes from Earth.

Here is one that is too weak to return:

2003 Sep 2003 RU11 Too weak to detect.

It has nothing to do with the possibility of the object hitting the earth. These are Radio Telescopes, not optical ones, so signal return strength is an issue.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by ncuncfan2006
Hildar ughh If im not mistaken you live in NC right? Well ive lived here my whole life, 34 years never moved out of state. One thing is the word snow in NC sends people in a frenzy they rape the grocery store. This is nothing unusual.

I also saw you saying something about cold temps in NC 21 or below, again nothing unusual typical NC weather this time of month you never know what your gonna get. Always been that way since i can remember. You seem paranoid.

I bet if you polled people in NC or across the country 90%+ wouldnt know what TU24 was.

Even if it really were gonna hit how many people in the general population would know about it

Cmon people lets be realistic you are grasping at straws.

LOL, they usually buy before it happens not 2 days after.

Hilda

top topics

<< 30  31  32    34  35  36 >>

join