It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

Yeah its rather odd. Astronomers have known about TU24 for some time now so its nothing new. However, this is the closest it has been since it was named.

To the poster who said TU24 has already passed us, you need to check out the NASA diagram.

Its clearly headed away from the sun, but closer every second to Earth and the Moon.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggie smalls

According to the ECHO JPL link Hildar gave, TU24 has been around since 1790!

This thing has been around the block many times, however, this will be the closest its been in recorded history.

If you speed it up a bit I believe its in 2013 it will come back thru much closer. Strange though if it has been around that long and in that orbit why didnt they know it was coming until when it was almost here???

Hilda

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by hildar

The number is rounded up to .004. Whether or not its to protect the 'people' for some odd reason or its a mathematical reason it beats me.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
reply to post by biggie smalls

1790!!!
WOW!!! So I wonder where the October '08 bit came from? To generate some sort of urgency about it? Hmm, there goes my BS-o-Meter again... Ding ding ding!!!

Can you folks relink the 1790 info or grab some details for a screen shot , as I am trying to go to the page now and its dying as I write this..

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
This is interesting because I read about a prophecy of a "false war" on an asteroid, followed by a false war on extra-terrestrials. I don't remember who said it, but prophecy or not I'm betting this is the case. Think about it.. They've been talking about making weapons to blow up "life-threatening" asteroids since I can remember. They could use this scare to get public support to put weapons on the moon, satelite nukes, or something to the space station.

I'm less concerned about an asteroid and more concerned with what the authorities plan to do with the information.

I heard about this a while ago..some asteroid they thought would hit us 2014 or something, or some acid cloud from space that annihilates everything. I don't know man. But I know this.. I do not trust NASA, at all.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by scrapple

Yeah I might print out this page to be honest. I don't want it to get lost.

echo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Scroll down a bit, its towards the top though.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by mattguy404
reply to post by hal4511

Since 1950? I heard it was discovered only in October last year.

From this point on, everyone should take everything they hear about this thing with a grain of salt. But from what I can tell, it's just not going to do anything

Well these stories are all over the place, check this out.
Space Daily News

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by hildar

Good point, and how do they know its been around since the late 1700's and not know it was due again?

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Now that's interesting... I thought 2007 TU24 (hence the tag of '2007') was discovered and observed - albeit partially - 3 months ago for the very first time. Or am I wrong? Or right? Definitely confused!

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

To the poster who said TU24 has already passed us, you need to check out the NASA diagram.

I assume you mean me.

I didnt say it had passed I said it was moving further away, and when it passes earths orbit it will ne slightly farther than where it is currently situated. And no this is not a NASA sight. It is from the Armagh Observatory

szyzyg.arm.ac.uk...

Please read more carefully in future

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brad.T

Now that's interesting... I thought 2007 TU24 (hence the tag of '2007') was discovered and observed - albeit partially - 3 months ago for the very first time. Or am I wrong? Or right? Definitely confused!

Nah we are all wrong it slows down its closeness as it comes towards us so it wont hit us, which means its not an asteroid its a UFO. Because after the danger has passed it speeds back up.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Yeah I might print out this page to be honest. I don't want it to get lost.

echo.jpl.nasa.gov...

Scroll down a bit, its towards the top though.

BSmalls,

Its still loading and loading and loading. Can you just screen capture it and photobucket?? If this is true that Nasa etc have known about it for awhile, that either makes things much safer for the earth, or I suppose those 'bunkered in Davos' much safer

I also agree with the above poster on the false terror idea, I recalled the same thing last night after going over all this - I think it was even discussed here on ATS (was it Kelly Johnson - skunk works guy telling one of his side kicks about a progression going from nukes, to astroids, to aliens, etc?) It may be in the vaults.

Hildar,

I think that the (au) numbers they are giving shows that the rate of change in distance between objects as they converge actually increases (sorry edit) near their MOID intersection (makes some sense if their orbits are not coplaner?), they shoot past (hopefully) and then shoot away from each other at about the same out bound rate seen during their approach? I am no scientist however so I take full ribs for being way wrong on this!

[edit on 22-1-2008 by scrapple]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   

that was sort of my thinking to but then they showed it only went from .004 on the 28 to .003 on the 29th. but then on the 30th it is back to .007. So something is just FUNKY. And every day before that it was losing .004 so whats up with the losing of .0003 in 1 day? It has to be a UFO its just got to be.

Hilda

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   

I think its the sling shot effect. Objects that are moving away from the sun move slowly as the suns gravitational pull holds them back, therefore objects moving towards the sun go quicker due to them getting closer to suns gravitational pull. Becasue Tu24 comes so close to earth, it slingshots around the planet, therefore accelerating the speed of the object. Its used for spacecraft all the time, eg voyager, cassini etc

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

I do not think Earth is out of the woods until February 11 or 12th. After that time I think it will be more than two years for it's return.

I calculated the asteroid distance as changing at a rate of 492,668 miles per day (i.e. 0.0296 - 0.0243 = 0.0053 AU which equals 492,668 miles). If you take into consideration the earth's wobble, anything can happen. I say pray for the best outcome.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

That's an interesting point. Would I be right in thinking that this TU24 object would be under a stronger influence of the Sun's gravity in comparison to the Earth's? As it speeds up, it's just going to 'ignore' Earth's gravity and zoom straight past us. I don't think it's large enough or close enough to be captured by Earth... That's what I'm thinking anyway.

[edit on 22-1-2008 by mattguy404]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Well it looks like you already got the screen capture.

I've been having trouble with the sizing. Good to see you got it figured out.

[edit on 1/22/2008 by biggie smalls]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by hildar

I hear you its hard to visualize the mechanics, but the JPL modeler makes it all good. See my link above. Switch the tracker to 'by the hour', and set your date to the 28th...then start clicking through the hours of each day. Watching the distance value shown on-screen and you can pretty well match up 'their' values with 'their' model. (it could all still be bunk!)

also here is the '1750' screen shot I had it from before.

Its only a guess, but this is Nasa 'back calculating' the last really close approaches - they can go forward and backward with the limited data they do have - right? I did the same on the JPL modeler last night trying to see when our ancestors had the ops to see this thing. Thoughts....

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
According to all the legitimate sites ive seen this thing is not a threat to us. Or are all these sites saying no threat in on the conspiracy?

Worse case scenario a direct hit = localized damage.

This one is not a species killer reguardless.. Now if this thing was IDA i would be worried somewhat.

Anyways a good majority of the people that come to ATS think the U.S. has alien tech under wraps. If we have those kind of vehicles getting rid of a pesky asteroid would not be a problem.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brad.T
Please do forgive me if this has already been addressed and answered, but could someone kindly tell me why, in the following set of NASA TU24 calculations, has a data entry for January 29th 2008 been either deleted or not entered at all?

Its not calculations its tasking observations at Arecibo, there are none on that day:
Here are their Projects.
Here is their Schedule.

24:00 - 24:45 Nothing
24:45 - 05:45 A2048: The Arecibo Galaxy Environments Survey (AGES)
05:45 - 06:30 Nothing
06:30 - 09:00 P2284: Timing the Double Neutron Star PSR B1534+12
09:00 - 11:15 Electrical Maintenance
11:15 - 12:15 P2337: Arecibo Timing Observations of GLAST Gamma-Ray Pulsar Candidates
12:15 - 16:30 Electrical Maintenance
16:30 - 17:00 System Check
17:00 - 19:00 X108 parallactic angle correction test (in yahoo cache file)
19:00 - 21:15 X111: RFI environment check (X111 run)
12:15 - 23:45 A2060: A GALFA Study of the Disk-Halo Interface
23:45 - 24:00 Nothing

It does not look like they are secretly monitoring this to me. It looks like they are not concerned with it in the slightest, and its business as usual. If you look at the rest of the week there is maintenance scheduled throughout the week.

Now if you also will look at the numbers you posted the answer is right in them:

*********************RA
2008 Jan 28 19:12-14:49 26 39 0.004 700 852000 35000
2008 Jan 30 01:47-17:14 167 54 0.007 700 133000 5500

I know its not too clear on this site because we cannot make columns effectively. If you go to the original page you want to look at the RA column, notice how the numbers are getting lower then they suddenly jump into the hundreds? That is because the object’s Right Ascension is getting lower to the horizon, then suddenly coming up in a different part of the sky. What the means is that the object is not visible at Arecibo on that date. See where it says RA of 26 on the 28th, then on the 30th its up to 167 RA.

[edit on 1/22/2008 by defcon5]

new topics

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join