It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 30
<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

OK, I know we have some good graphics people here. How about a series of graphs showing the biggest miss and a direct hit, according our current data. Show the Earth, the moon and the different plots for our rock.

We need a visual, along with some bookies' odds, on this damn thing. I think that all of us common joes can understand a good or bad bet.

How about it? Any takers on this?

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Hey if I had any artistic skills whatsoever I'd help.

Let me see if caveman can do something about it.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by thesaint

I sent info to Drudge Report about 3 times, nothing . . . just the sound of crickets chirping . . .

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
A lot of fear in some of the threads, "Why dont the mainstream media say anything?!!"

Maybe, dear friends because there is NO threat . . . .

I like this website, lots of interesting topics, my favorite are the theories of aliens and life on other planets, but whats all the panic about this doomsday scenario?
There will be NO astroid impact next week or whenever its supposed to happen, dear friends many of you are intelligent people, more intelligent than myself Im sure, I dont understand why there is so much fear about the astroid.
Trust the mainstream media, just try to trust it this once, there will be NO impact of this astroid.
Enjoy life . . .

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Here is a website that shows how close objects will be coming to the Earth

Near Earth Asteroids

According to this site, TU24 should stay .0037 AU's (or at least 500,000 kilometers /310,685 miles) away from Earth.

An AU is an Astronomical Unit = 149 598 000 kilometers

For perspective, the Moon is 384,403 km/238,606 miles from the Earth

[edit on 22/1/08 by Keyhole]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Any chance that I will be able to see the asteroid with the naked eye? If not, with a telescope?

Where should I be looking if I want to see it?

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Double Eights
Any chance that I will be able to see the asteroid with the naked eye? If not, with a telescope?

Where should I be looking if I want to see it?

No, you'd need a really big scope and more information than we have now to even spot it.

Unless of course, and taking a page from ArMaP's book, I'm completely wrong.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Yknot

Speaking of time, that is cause for another question... isn't space time different from earth time and what correlation would it have. The speculation may be off by as much as one week.

Last night there were wide streaks in the sky just below and in front of the moon. This may have been smaller ones or just dust from the 2007 TU 24.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Siren

The predictions of close pass-by should all be in UTC (Universal Time - not as in 'universe' but as in a general reference!). There wouldn't be much a of a time difference, especially not by a week. If you're talking about general relativity, maybe a second or two.

You would need a HUGE telescope to even pick up its dust tail, if it even has one. It'd be like trying to see a pinhead from the other side of town. OK, bad analogy, but you get the point

I think people are starting to clam down now. Half a million kilometers is close indeed, but from what I can tell from the information we're seeing, it'll stay on its course and pass us by. As for the electrical charge thing... Huh? The solar wind would be MUCH more powerful than any possible charge from something a quarter of a mile long. There'd have to be a massive dump of dust from it to generate any sort of electrical charges in the upper atmosphere. The Earth gets a constant stream of solar wind from the Sun, I doubt something so small would bother our magnetosphere.

It's time for everyone to grab a beer or a coffee and just relax

However, I reserve my right for panic if it can be proven it's going to hit

link   
reply to post by Double Eights

Try this site for more info about seeing the asteroid.

IFAS

Ran into this site while doing a search, they were talking about where to look for TU24 in the sky and what not.

[edit on 22/1/08 by Keyhole]

link   
reply to post by NGC2736

I'll take up this challenge. I'll see what I can do. I can start working on something in a few days. I need to finish painting this album cover for this band first, then I'll work something out. Its just more pictures for the ol portfolio anyway.

I don't even really know what I'm making a picture of yet, I just got a u2u from biggiesmalls, I didn't even get a chance to read this

I will when I get time.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Anyone watching the History channel right now?
Anyone think it's quite odd they have a Tunguska show on right now?
The show is called The Siberian Apocaplypse (2006)
Examining the 1908 Tunguska event in Siberia, in which over 1000 square miles were destroyed by a mysterious explosion. Included: Theories about why it happened
8-9 pm est
And then guess what is on from 9-10... yep thats right The Universe starring The end of earth: Deep space threats to our planet
Examining outside threats to our planet including comets and astroids

What is up with the History channel? are they trying to scare us or warn us?
Life after people....

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Right then everybody, just calm down. The asteroid won't hit earth although it will come close, insofar as distances are measured in space. There is a very good article here: www.badastronomy.com...

That will hopefully allay your fears

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CavemanDD

Oh do I love irony. It's so simple a caveman can do it.
(Sorry, the screen name almost made me choke on my double malted brew. )

Thanks, really. I just wanted a reference that everyone here could use. Something for a bit of reference. ( The use of pictograms representing dire wolves and saber tooths is up to your choice as a caveman/artist. Just so we moderns can understand it.
)

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

Maybe it's the elites, thumbing their noses at us;

All nice and cozy, hunkered in their bunkers.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Well, I don't believe this will impact the earth.

Now if it did and it landed in the ocean then there isn't so much to worry about other than being anxious since drowning (from Tsunamis) isn't painful.

apparantly this shows a simulation of the kind of tsunami a 300m (the size of this tu business) asteroid impact in the atlantic ocean would do to the east coast of the US.

es.ucsc.edu...(5).mov

shame it doesn't show the UK

so basically it doesn't seem like it's one to worry about if you live in land anywhere higher than 5 to 60 meters depending on where the asteroid impacts.
[edit on 22-1-2008 by monkey_descendant]

[edit on 22-1-2008 by monkey_descendant]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by damajikninja

Now Armagedon is an asteroid? Hmmm...for months everyone's been screaming it's a nuke attack! heheh..Or is it an alien invasion? I guess it depends on which day of the week it is.

Some credible data would be helpful here. Chicken Little Syndrome can get a litttle repetetive after a while. Anyone have anything on this?

J.

[edit on 22-1-2008 by jimbo999]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Half the concern here is that credible data was/is getting a bit to find for this object.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:56 PM
link   
and this is taken from the new scientist article I stole the simulation from "The most common asteroids, between 100 m and 400 m, would yield tsunami waves up to 10 m when they arrived at the coast".

So again this doesn't seem like anything to worry about unless you live on the coast (which I do yay). Wasn't the asian tsunami 20m or something?

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

or fear mongering to distract us from something else????
you know like lets keep those pesky CTers busy with this for a while...
Just seems more than a coincidence that History channel has this line up tonight esp. after following last nights lineup of 2012 and Life after people.
I am sure the History channel is perfectly aware of their demographics and the timing on these shows could not be any more lined up.

Somethings going on just cant put my finger on what...

[edit on 22-1-2008 by SEEWHATUDO]

new topics

top topics

<< 27  28  29    31  32  33 >>

join