It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   
I urge calm. Hmmm. It's going to miss, yet there's something here, and it's large and moving quickly. The paucity of ephemeris on “the” date is of interest and how much the trajectory deviates since it was found. I'm not a US citizen or I'd ask Doctor Benner who wrote this JPL doc echo.jpl.nasa.gov...

One could also write the American Astronomical Society www.aas.org... They don't have anything either just using a plain search.

I looked at Space Command. Nothing under that designation in public access. I may not have looked closely enough.

It's not even listed at NEO JPL neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

It’s been pretty much mapped out echo.jpl.nasa.gov...

“From the above link “Goldstone observations are scheduled on January 23 and Arecibo observations are scheduled on January 27-28 and February 1-4. Note that Goldstone observations straddle the January 23-24 date boundary.”

The only source of data is down for servicing? At closest approach? Um, OK. I can't help but think others are taking note... in astronomy and geopolitics. Celestial events have affected human history before. This is a rare opportunity to study such a fly-by. No MSM (or not much) either. It isn't on the wire services either.

I won't vouch for the math but an Earth MOID of 115,134.29 statute miles is "close". Distance to the Moon? 238,857 miles. Even if it is "no threat" the chances of being in a collision are small but very, very real... in 2046. Tremendous energies. Any contact, even an atmospheric "skip" could be a "bad day" for everyone locally. The academics may have moved on to other NEOs but it might be worth an email or two. Missing data? LOVE it!

Vic

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO
Ok well I have a lot of fear going on right now, actually I am quite scared.
I do not react this way to these types of events but all these damn puzzle pieces seem to fit. WTH is going on? Why is nothing being reported about this? I have 3 very small children dammit and somone needs to tell me what the %#$^ is going on!!!
This rant was not directed at anyone here, I am just growing increasingly scared and frustrated and we dont seem to be getting any concrete information and like I said I am worried for my children.

I'm with you on that one! I have 2 little ones, aged 7 and 3, what hope do we have for them?

I'm more scared for them than myself, the 7 year old is scared of the weather (all the rain, the strong winds, its as if he just feels that things are not right), and and anything unusual that happens... What do we tell them? Nothing I guess unless they need to know!

My thoughts are with you, and everyone else out there that has little ones in tow!

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
They haven't left out any dates. You can generate these reports in real time, just follow the link in my previous post. There's plenty of data there for Jan 29th.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Brad.T

But if it was going to hit earth, or the moon, then there would be no data for after the event as the asteroid would no longer exist.

However, exactly why it is missing is beyond me.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This is all rather confusing. All of these numbers bouncing around, and hardly anyone has the same numbers. I would really love to hear what Internos has to say about all of this. I greatly respect his opinion. Would anyone mind getting a hold of him? This really is an interesting thread! Thank you everyone for your input!

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sevenkev

Yes the user can use the computer to generate the .0045 AU distance scenario.

However, it is odd that NASA would not have any data for this day. Yesterday they had data up and now its gone? Something's up.

The media isn't covering this as it would produce massive panic and clog up all the roads; not to mention all the suicide cults that would spring up this week...It would be bloody to say the least.

I am not worried about this in the least bit. If it hits, oh well. If it doesn't life continues as usual.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mattguy404

yes, fifty-fifty is the best for anyone who's not sure about this. Some sites say this thing is gona hit, others say it's gonna miss, others go fifty-fifty, and others don't what what their talking about! I personally am not r=sure what's gonna happen, i'm not an astronomer, so i'm just going maybe yes maybe no on this. If it hits oh well, i'll die trying to outrun the effectss
if not, i'll just watch it go by and take some pics or something

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Also the hidden-in-plain sight symbolism of an asteroid smashing into the Earth in a CG animation in support of a story on Northern Rock.

Sorry for the late reply but I'd turned the computer off before the news started.

Yeah, I couldnt belive my eyes. What was with the graphic on the news all about

I mean what did that asteroid thing smashing into the earth to start with have to do with Northen Rock
Over and Over again the same graphic.

First up I thought they were going to run the TU24 story......but it was just wierd really wierd....!

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Please, relax. I see rampant fear in the posts here. This is not something worth global fear. Worst case scenario is something about three times the power of Mount Saint Helens when it blew up. Bad, but not the worst that could happen.

And the fact is, there's not a single damn thing you could do. IF, and that is a big IF, it were to impact, there is nothing anyone could do ahead of time. The calculations of where it would strike, IF it did, would be so late that there would be no escaping an area.

The real question is do we live each day to it's fullest? Did we tell our family that we loved them? Did we enjoy life the best we knew how? Did we savor each and every moment of this world we live in?

It is not the end that is important, but the trip itself that makes the journey worth the effort.

I cannot tell anyone what will or will not happen, and I am skeptical of those who do. Life is filled with all kinds of uncertainties. But there is one certainty that I know well. I love life and I enjoy all that I have as if there were never a tomorrow. And in so doing, I have each day as a glorious present.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Marlborough Red

Marlborough Red,

What news story are you talking about? Do you have a link? Did I miss this in the thread somewhere?

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by wrangell76

news.bbc.co.uk...

Click on "Watch Latest Programme"

The animation comes up at about the 13 mark, right after the report on Northern Rock.

They may be playing bits of it all through the report.

Edit to add: It may have been edited since I watched it this morning; I could swear it actually impacted, now it just lingers and they cut away to Richard Branson.

Weird.

[edit on 22-1-2008 by goosdawg]

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

actually click on the link goos gave and then fast forward to 12:00, the report starts there. Watch on mute, it is very disconcerting and does make one wonder if this is some kind of warning or signal.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Sorry Wrangell.

It was on BBC2 Newsnight here in the UK lastnight. I see I was beaten to posting the link, SnoopyUK also mentioned it earlier.

Check it out!

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

Yes, Yes I know but I am scared, sorry but I am. My children are babies and I am here to protect them, I can't protect them in this situation and it terrifies me. Even Skeptic Overlord said things are strange about this one.
You know I respect the heck out of you NGC and I wish it was as easy as you say but I am still scared and no matter how I try to think differently, I look at my children and the fear returns.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Someone better be quick to take that graphic off the BBC site because the latest programme will soon be tonights programme.

Sorry I dont have the tech know how to do that

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Thanks everyone for the link and info...unfortunately I can only watch it on a youtube video. I am running Ubuntu and can't get windows media player or real...Does it happen to be on Youtube? I hope so...I want to see it...

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   

As I mentioned in my edit to my last post, I think it's already been edited.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by goosdawg

That was indeed quite strange. I don't know about the whole "Northern Rock" deal, but seeing that rock flying by was quite interesting. Wonder if someone in the video room did that because they knew someone from ATS would pick up on it.

Now I have another question. Please forgive my ignorance on astronomy as a whole. I never was good at Math. The Tunguska rock was much much smaller than TU-24 is and that did quite a bit of damage. But if this one does hit, how much of it will burn up in the atmosphere? I'm just curious and fascinated by this whole topic.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Couldn't find it on YouTube.

It's just a cheesy CG animation following a "rock" through it's path until it winds up threatening Earth.

I think they were making allusions to Northern Rocks' downfall.

Probably nothing, just weird is all.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I noticed something else about the video from BBC.Besides the obvious asteroid placement ,The woman says something about northern rock landing on the someones desk.

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join