It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   

The magnetosphere/plasma thing is different and that I am not buying into one bit. Show me some data of a historical occurance of any magnitude.

They cant do it just like they cant show you any evidence Planet X which is suppose to end the world ended the world 3800 years ago when it supposedly last came by.

[edit on 20-1-2008 by ncuncfan2006]

[edit on 20-1-2008 by ncuncfan2006]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Here is a memo I have just sent to UC Davis Astronomy Professor Dr. Tony Tyson, who is heading up the new LSST Project (Large synoptic Survey Telescope).

Dr. Tyson is one of the leading experts in NEO's, and one of his new projects main functions will be to identify NEO's and asses the threats they possess.

I will post his response as soon as made available.

"Hello Dr. Tyson,

A few months ago I had heard an NPR interview with you regarding the LSST project. I was very impressed and have been completely enamored with the subject matter ever since. I have always been interested with astronomy at a very basic level, but the topic of NEO's was one that struck a cord deep within me. It has resonated within me ever since.

There are many people in this world who believe that "the world is gonna end". Whether it be of human, religous, or of a scientific manner. I am not one who would subscribe to most of these theories, but I do believe, as I beleive do you, that it is not a matter of when the population of Earth will be decimated by an asteroid, but when. And that perhaps, with the completion of the LSST project, this sort of cataclysm may be avoided in the future.

Today, Sunday 1/20, there has been a lengthy discussion on the very popular website, of in which I am a member, www.abovetopsecret.com regarding asteroid TU24.

There is much speculation on this website pertaining to the arrival of this NEO. Much of it, of course, is from less than accredited sources.

It is at this time that I would like to ask of you your highly educated opinion on TU24. My recent studies have indicated that on 1/28 TU24 will pass within 1.4 LD's of the Earth. Many websites are reported to be showing fluctuations in this number. Do you believe that this number is accurate? And also, would you recommend a certain hemisphere or geographical location that viewing of TU24 would be optimal?

I would also like to add that I would be very thankful for your response. As I have mentioned, I am a "big fan" of you and you project, and I would regard your opinion in that of the highest and most respectful manner.

Sincerely,

JCF "

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
After reading each post on all 12 pages of this thread I have come to the conclusion that we probably won't notice when this event happens.
However, I will stay tuned to this thread as I am leaving the 23rd for a ten day racing car extravaganza in the next county. We'll be camping there and will take my telescope with us.

What ever happens we'll be out under the stars I'll probably be the only person looking at the sky while everybody else is watching the races. lol

I'm not worried but sure am happy I'll be inland away from my home on the coast.

Thank you OP for starting this thread. After the second page I was ready to head for the hills but then the voice of reason kicked in. I imagine there are people reading this thread that are preparing for the worst. Just because I'm filling my camper with extra water and food doesn't mean I'm concerned.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kaiser Sohse

"Hello Dr. Tyson,

There are many people in this world who believe that "the world is gonna end". Whether it be of human, religous, or of a scientific manner. I am not one who would subscribe to most of these theories, but I do believe, as I beleive do you, that it is not a matter of when the population of Earth will be decimated by an asteroid, but when. And that perhaps, with the completion of the LSST project, this sort of cataclysm may be avoided in the future.

Today, Sunday 1/20, there has been a lengthy discussion on the very popular website, of in which I am a member, www.abovetopsecret.com regarding asteroid TU24.

There is much speculation on this website pertaining to the arrival of this NEO. Much of it, of course, is from less than accredited sources.

I would also like to add that I would be very thankful for your response. As I have mentioned, I am a "big fan" of you and you project, and I would regard your opinion in that of the highest and most respectful manner.

Sincerely,

JCF "

I really hope you proofread this before you sent it.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by biggie smalls

I wasn"t worried Biggie, just thought that since our destruction is being discussed that I would throw in that the History Channel is doing a special "What IF" documentary on what would happen ala end of humanity. Just thought the timing was kinda neat. Makes me think of those Planet of the Apes movies, "Take your stinking paws off me, you damned dirty ape!" Classic.

Anyways I think that from the evidence seen that we have had much closer misses than 1.4 LD's and nothing, BUT, the experts agree, and I believe them, that it's not a question of IF, but WHEN... Wormwood, shmermwood....bah. But I wouldnt mind a front row seat to the End. I am torn between trying to survive or just standing in front of that 1000 foot tsunami with my loved ones...I guess it would depend on the severity of the disaster coming. Goodtimes, goodtimes.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:40 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
The concept of a Comet Holmes style plasma discharge from Asteroid 2007 TU24 mentioned in TheoOne's first video is less than comforting.

[edit on 1/20/2008 by damajikninja]

What I don't get is that many asteroids have come close to earth and now this is the first time I have heard about this plasma discharge. If it is so common why hasn't it happened before? And I don't buy Tungusta as being one of the... MUCH too small of area affected.

So why are we all of a sudden so worried about this asteroid? What makes it so different from all the others?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Alienmojo

Oh, one more thing. Should this plasma discharge happen will all life on earth end or is there some precautions that we can take? What can we expect from this if it were to happen?

Thanks guys

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alienmojo

Originally posted by damajikninja
The concept of a Comet Holmes style plasma discharge from Asteroid 2007 TU24 mentioned in TheoOne's first video is less than comforting.

[edit on 1/20/2008 by damajikninja]

What I don't get is that many asteroids have come close to earth and now this is the first time I have heard about this plasma discharge. If it is so common why hasn't it happened before? And I don't buy Tungusta as being one of the... MUCH too small of area affected.

So why are we all of a sudden so worried about this asteroid? What makes it so different from all the others?

Easy - we've worked out that it probably won't hit Earth. Even it did, it'd be localized damage. So, the next best thing is to conjure up that some sort of 'plasma' is going to do it instead... Without the comet never having to hit us anyway! It's just more convenient that way

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Is it just me or is are they putting on much more Asteroid and Comet impact shows on discovery and the documentary channels? I have already seen 3 today so far. Coincidence? Maybe....

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Kaiser Sohse

Hey Kaiser, do you think this guy will respond? I remember writing that other big wig Dr. M. Kocktoo (sorry for spelling) and he just ignored the heck outta me.

Good letter and I hope you get a reply... please post it if you do.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Thanks Mattguy for the reply.

Personally, I think its just so funny that something strange happens to a comet and all of a sudden we are facing the end of the world from the first near-earth asteroid. Do you know how many of those things fly by us without our even knowing it? And now, all of a sudden, we have to worry about plasma discharge.

Sheesh... I got bigger things to worry about. Call me on the 30th and let me know if we're still alive.

One good thing... if it does destroy us we don't have to worry about income tax time!

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Equinox99
Is it just me or is are they putting on much more Asteroid and Comet impact shows on discovery and the documentary channels? I have already seen 3 today so far. Coincidence? Maybe....

Just preparing us for the end Equinox. I have notice a lot of shows like this the past few years. I just think that people are so facinated with the end of the world that they will watch anything.

Did you see that one earlier this year showing 5 possible ways the Earth could be destroyed... or something to that effect?

I have always said this... that if the Christian Armageddon does occur it won't be like in the Left Behind series. I see an asteroid decimating most of the world and the anti-Christ will arise during that time to save us. Let's face it.. it would take something SO horrible for us to ignore our rational thought and buy into the guy. A world full of starving and dying people would look for anyway out.

Sorry to get religious and off track there.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Am I the only one who is slightly hoping for some sort of interaction between this object and earth? If this thing causes mass electrical storms and "fireballs," wouldn't the population start to question the ability for NASA to report events to the public? This will backfire on NASA if they don't do something to let us know more.

Also, from all the great work you guys are doing here, I can see that any interaction is pretty improbable. However, I think the most important aspect of TU24 is the one thing being hardly discussed, and that is......

COMPOSITION!

Armchair science at its best here... But wouldn't composition relate to the density, electromagnetism, gravity, trajectory even?

I think NASA is so clueless about our galaxy and even solar system that they have no guesses what this thing broke off of or what its made of. I imagine if this thing is pure lead or uranium, we may have something to worry about. But what if its some sort of precious space debris with signs of life inside? Hey, we have a nice area of desert out here that you can deposit that! I know that's some really irresponsible thought, but hey, I don't think it would cause much more than major storms and a few months of bad weather. Again, theories on my part.

Even if this thing hits us on the noggin, I highly doubt we are looking at an end of days scenario. We have been hit many times, as has our moon, with bigger rocks... Much bigger. And we still sit in perfect harmony with our little buddy.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
This "Electrical Universe" senario could potentially mean that the Earth ( carrying a negative charge ) could repel negatively charged asteroids and draw in positively charged ones.

The only discharging I can see would be if a Positive Asteroid come into discharging range of the earth as its more than likely a negative charged asteroid would have its level of charge elevated more into the negative range by the Earth.

Thank the Great Architect for Jupiter being the sweeper of our solar system, because if our charge could pull in asteroids we are on a hiding to nothing in terms of when a big strike is going to hit. Electrical force is much stronger than Gravitational force so potentially it could be a contributing factor above and beyond trajectories.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Well either that or they don't want a massive wide panic and our economy to just halt to a near miss. If they knew and many people did die then they would be held accountable for the lives lost. Either way it would be a lose lose situation. I doubt this is something big however because then you would have universities of any kind coming forward with a statement.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
A few interesting articles that might explain the non-coverage of this from Mainstream sources.

A scientific adviser to the United States government has suggested that secrecy might be the best option if scientists were ever to discover that a giant asteroid was on course to collide with Earth. In certain circumstances, nothing could be done to avoid such a collision and ensuing destruction, and it would be best not to tell the public anything, said Geoffrey Sommer, of the Rand Corporation in Santa Monica, California.

Independent, The London

The public should not be told if scientists detect a huge asteroid on a collision course with Earth that cannot be deflected, a disaster expert said. Geoff Sommer, of the Rand Corporation in Santa Monica, California, said that governments would be wrong to warn of an impending impact that could destroy all life if there was no realistic prospect of stopping it. The panic, misery and disruption that such a warning would cause would not be worthwhile, he told the association.

The Times

Just when you thought we had learned our lessons from past communication debacles and PR fiascoes, bizarre statements at the Denver AAAS meeting have plunged the NEO community into another crisis of credibility. "Don't tell Public of Doomsday Asteroid", reads the headline in today's The Times, while The Independent warns: "Armageddon Asteroids best kept secret." The Internet (Drudge Report, etc.) and fringe websites are already brimming with gloating links to this asteroid-cover-up story while doomsday prophets and conspiracy-theorists can't believe their good fortune: "We've told you so!"&

SpaceDaily

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by SantaClaus

Yeah, I mentioned the composition aspect waaayy back on page one.

But until they get a better look at it I suppose it's open to speculation.

And so far as NASA goes, they're just for show.

They know a lot more than they let on.

Even if they knew this was gonna hit, they'd keep it under wraps, no sense setting off a stampede amongst the populace.

This isn't a planet killer after all...

And if they should be called on their lack of action after the fact, they'd just shuffle their feet and blame it on a mix-up converting metric to US customary measurements.

Or something equally lame and implausible.

After all they don't have to answer to the little people who foot their bills, just the ones who pull the strings.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
Figures, i just went and saw cloverfield last night, perhaps we will get a visit from a giant interstellar species?

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Alienmojo

That's a great question Mojo!

I've never had any correspondence with Dr. Tyson, but the interview I heard made me think he was a pretty normal guy. I hope my plea strikes a "human" nerve in him, and he responds.

Who knows? He could be on "the payroll". As I wrote the memo, a big part of me felt that maybe he was already buried deep inside a well fortified bunker, and any outside communication would be strictly forbidden. But I guess that's just the Kaiser side of me!

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join