It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 105
<< 102  103  104    106  107  108 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:38 PM
link   
there still may be electromagnetic effects. Some effects take a few days to take place. Of course, after tommorrow, if nothing happens, we're in the clear YAY.....

damned NASA.....

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Fromabove

Thanks for sharing.

Do we know TU24's composition ?

Do you recall the NEO in the 90s which was composed of 100,000 tons of Gold and 10,000 tons of platinum?

See question 1 in the FAQ dealing with the NEO of the 90s.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   
verily I say unto thee

Nanny nanny boo boo told ya so

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
So...... where is the asteroid? Today is impact day and did anything happen? Nope.

Have a nice day everyone.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
This has been quite an educational experience for me. I came here knowing very little about asteroids and I leave here with a real time, minute by minute crash course in space rocks. We are lucky to have so many knowledgeable people here! I have been reading this thread like an addict, from the very first post and experienced every emotion possible along the way. I would like to thank all of the posters who contributed. Although this was one scary learning experience, I come away from it with a new knowledge and a more level head.

Mongodave--see you in 27 years....or.... when the next one sneaks up on us?

whoops..spelling error

[edit on 29-1-2008 by EsseVi]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Whoops, wrong answer.

Sorry.

[edit on 29/1/2008 by ArMaP]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:19 PM
link   
ArMaP,
I hope you come back and give us your opinion on everything that transpired. From silence from the media, to just how much danger or lack of this all posed to us.

Thanks!

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

I hope so too. ArMap is top-drawer. Strictly the facts on which to base hypothesis. Calm, cool and accurate. No bovine scatology or over-reaching the data set. 'Said to comment and worth the wait.

Vic

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Sure, and I will start by saying that I think this was not used as an "awareness event", like DancedWithWolves said, probably because it was considered too big, and maybe they had fear of panic from the people they were suppose to educate.

As even the most modest results from the impact calculator program showed that an asteroid of this size can be as destructive as an atomic bomb, maybe that was the reason not to make it more widely known.

As someone once said, a person is smart, but people are stupid, and the danger of a massive panic and the work of the opportunists that may try to gain some cash in a situation like this may be a good enough reason not to make it more public, because it was not supposed to hit.

If a hit was unavoidable, then I think that the authorities would prefer to show that the people can trust them by publicly acknowledging the fact that an asteroid capable of destroying a large city was going to hit, in that way they would keep those that would not be killed by it (and that could be all the people, even an asteroid as large as this can hit without causing any deaths) under their control, while if they tried to hide it, there would come a time where all people would know that they had been kept "in the dark" about it on purpose.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

Thanks Vic, I try to do my best.

It's good to see that some people consider my presence on ATS positive.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
With the technology available, i find it hard to believe that we can't get a photo tu24 better than what's available right now. Are you kidding me. It looks like a picture of a white rock that I took with my cheap camera phone at maximum zoom. Is there anyone out there that has a link to a photo of better quality?

BTW I don't know who is still on this thread, but I am still not convinced that we have felt the full effects of this event here on Earth.

Thoughts????

--Lumberman

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ThatsJustWeird

Oops, I should have been more clear in my post. I was responding more to the idea that the Magnetosphere and solar wind environment has an effect on our weather. I didn't mean to imply that I thought the Asteroid had anything to do with it. What I meant was that the atmospheric activity was being churned by process in the larger scale solar environment.

And I agree with your point about short term memory as far as weather. Wasn't trying to imply this was weird or anything, I understand it is a cold front. However the fronts boundary layer seems more precise than anything I have recalled recently. And it isn't the first time this winter, just the sharpest.

As far as the Asteroid, I agree with the ArMap concerning why it was not brought out into the public more. Also, I never personally worry about 'the end', as it has been a great journey so far.

[edit on 29-1-2008 by Ionized]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Lumberman

I was wondering the same thing about the picture. They can not be serious! We can get a picture of the storms on Saturn or Jupiter but we can get a decent picture of an asteroid as close as our moon.

Lumberman, I didn't think it would hit, but like you I still think we have yet to see the full effects of it passing through our magnetosphere(sp.)
or whatever its called. I'm not an expert, I'm just going off of what I've read and my gut,

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

No. Thank You! Geez ArM' I was pulling my hair out (I have lots to spare) you saved me so much "disconcerting fidget-factor" with YOUR memory. ArM', I read everything pretty much that you write... I'm a "whiner"... you don't hear me complaining. Your contributions to the community are well known and valued here... sailing over that way in '09. Estoril after we hit Valencia. Keep in touch ArM'.

I've found so much asteroid data... it's impossible. Just a guess but there are 500 data-points "other" than "for" 2007TU24. I still haven't seen a solution for the min distance. I mean it's only the first thing the radar return header does.

I know what I "want to find" but I want others to show it... because I do have an irrational bias; I don't trust the status quo one scintilla of an iota of a roid on an aster about space and the true state of the "human nation." I fear we're truly screwed long-term. Ain't no Prep-H for dat but work... many hands make light work. This one was fun but frustrating. Good posts make "fore" a good "post". LOL.

It's all messy out there.
Mop and a bucket. Here's to the passing of TU24 and on to WD5. In theory MRO and Kag should be able to get something on approach over the next while. If it was to hit? WOW! Written in 40pt font.

Less than 2.5% chance. Even more vague numbers. It's got a weird arc... lumpy, knuckleball. You never know y'know? Hope! Is there a WD thread? If someone starts one I'll try and contribute.

Vic

[edit on 29-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

Aaaargh, I just wrote a long reply and lost the whole dang thing when I hit post. Of course, it was the one time I didn't save in word first. We are having tornados here by the way so that explains the post blip. Here are the sloppy seconds...I'm sure I will forget something.

Back on topic to recreate this thing

ArMap and Vic,

During the many searches on this topic over the past week or so I came across an article on the NASA site that is relevant. I didn't post it at the time because it wasn't a square enough peg to fit in the round hole we were discussing. Now it seems appropriate to dwell on it a moment as it has been pinging around my mind since reading it.

Here is the general gist of this topic....

NEO Impact Symposium & Secrecy Issues
Article Posted: February 25, 2003
A report from the AAAS symposium on the impact hazard and a discussion of a media flap about secrecy.

This news note deals with two related issues

(1) First is the report from an AAAS impact hazard symposium in Denver that marked the tenth anniversary of the Spaceguard Report and explored several issues related to communications and societal interactions.

(2) The second part of this news note deals with a media flap that began when AAAS participant Geoffrey Sommer suggested that the government might wish to keep the news of an impending impact secret. Understandably, this issue was picked up by many news media, some of which ignored the context (such as that the other speakers at the AAAS symposium all asserted that such secrecy was neither desirable nor possible). We present both sides, and let you reach your own conclusions.

Symposium Article Link

Another reason I didn't post this was that there was some confusion in the reporting specifically regarding Geoffrey Sommer who made the comments which led to this report. He was orginally quoted as an advisor to the administration from Rand but was, in fact, a grad student at the time. The fallout from his comments though are interesting to note.

I would imagine that this experience is still very much a part of the collective memory of the NEO community. It is also suggested that while this "pink elephant" in the room caused media flak....it may have its receptive ears in this administration. I don't believe that we will see this discussed in an open NEO forum again, although it is a real consideration as acknowledged by other's there even while distancing themselves from the speaker specifically.

Also in this article, I believe, it squarely confronts the myth of the panic excuse for secrecy in the event of a close shave or even an expected catastrophic level event. It doesn't make it gone from the NEO community...just debunked. And all of this, I believe they would have thought about during the past few months regarding 2007 TU24.

Just throwing this out for your consideration.

And lest we not forget...although hopefully we get a breather before one is close again....

(2008 BT2) 2008-Feb-02 0.1322 51.5 37 m - 83 m 1.83
(2007 TG8) 2008-Feb-04 0.1903 74.0 500 m - 1.1 km 12.70
(2008 BE) 2008-Feb-04 0.1874 72.9 75 m - 170 m 3.03
(2006 AX44) 2008-Feb-07 0.1596 62.1 27 m - 61 m 3.17
(2006 JY26) 2008-Feb-08 0.1129 43.9 5.7 m - 13 m 2.98
(2006 DU62) 2008-Feb-10 0.0553 21.5 640 m - 1.4 km 23.79
(2007 RV9) 2008-Feb-11 0.0776 30.2 240 m - 550 m 10.96
(2007 DA) 2008-Feb-12 0.0253 9.8 89 m - 200 m 18.41
162567 (2000 RW37) 2008-Feb-15 0.0719 28.0 300 m - 670 m 8.17
(2008 AE) 2008-Feb-16 0.1516 59.0 330 m - 750 m 6.44
(2007 DM8) 2008-Feb-16 0.1312 51.1 15 m - 33 m 8.26
(2005 EK70) 2008-Feb-18 0.1493 58.1 910 m - 2.0 km 15.18 ...........
the list goes on but I am out of room.

So, this ain't our first, or last, rodeo!

Peace
;

[edit on 29-

[edit on 29-1-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

You really do understand DWW. It's called data-neutralization. It's a tool for dissonance in population and in the individual mind (which is the real battlefield). Full-Spectum Warfare... AEI. Nice fellows. NOT. Recommended reading from the last century.

I remember a time when you read a thing called a newspaper and everything but the used-car ads were almost true. Really.

Now here's a "handy-widget" that you mentioned DWW. Missions. Mission statements. Read them... they are often carefully worded to allow for ANYTHING. Tools.

Sometimes I read them and I find that the statement's product is the exact anti-thesis of the statement. A bit like... an easy one: "Military Intelligence", "Department of Education", yahda, yahda. When things get screwed up these "missions" get rationalized and merged and up-spun or down-spun to suit the needs of only the PTB to placate... us. It's a HR issue in the truest sense of HR.

Vic

[edit on 29-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
On an even 'lighter side'?

It's currently 8 degrees Celcius right now in Burlington, Ontario - 46 Farhenheight. Tomorrow, the weather says it's going to be - 8 Celcius., and don't forget the gusts - over 100 mph overnite

Talk about whacky weather.

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDuckster

Sure that isn't 100-110 KMH Ducks'? Yikes... they'll close the skyway.

Enviro-can forecast for your area I think: West end of the lake.

Flash freeze warnings... traffic could be a bit dodgey.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

You have given me much to think and read about. Thank you. I have my orders if not my "mission". I'm sure there will be more food for thought if all the unused bookmarks mean anything......

In the meantime...did you figure out what

The thing in this ATS thread is?

If it's not an optical illusion or a smudge...it's a big 'un. Just had to ask if you had taken a gander at it yet? Nite my friend...it has been an honor. I look forward to the next posts...wherever they may be.

Peace

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Please continue to monitor the magnetic fields
40 hours ago:
www2.nict.go.jp...
Now:
www2.nict.go.jp...

Check the archives. Match the passing of the tu24 (0833 UT) on the 29th. check on 0827, then the one s before and after it. IMPORTANT STUFF, Right????

top topics

<< 102  103  104    106  107  108 >>

join