It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 104
<< 101  102  103    105  106  107 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

Hello Vic,

Glad to hear you got some rest this morning. I have to head out the door but I checked in to see what photos, data you may have found. Interesting that JPL was offline still...that's probably one high-speed chase that won't make the evening news. I am really interested to see the departure data on this rock as it continues to get nudged away. But, as you said, interpreting data and seeing source data are two very different things.

Questions: In all the sites we have been skimming...where would you guess the worker bees from NASA and other's like to spend their free time posting, surfing, etc. They were certainly denied the limelite on this episode. Another odd parallel is that in almost all the white papers we source...a key mission of all NEO industry types was to raise public awareness of the NEO risk and what is being done to discover these potential risks. With just a little push this could have been a prime story on front page. So why not "educate" as they state in their key missions. Think we have figured that one out with moving day and all...but that just tells me there is more digging to do. If real data is going to be smothered in the future like this, it makes even more sense.

Thank you again for all your insights and I look forward to the debriefing in the coming days....there is going to be alot more to do it seems. Think you are right though...I imagine there are some out there who might be ready to chat in the future. This is not one of NASA proudest moments...but I suspect there are more than a few in house that have some real stories of accomplishment now.

Peace and I will check back.

[edit on 29-1-2008 by DancedWithWolves]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Well we started out at 63 degrees at 10am and by noon it had dropped to 24 degrees... Still feeling the effects of the fly by? I think so...

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DancedWithWolves

Very insightful. Very. Heavy.

"where are the worker bees from NASA and other's like to spend their free time posting, surfing"

Back-channels likely... prolly a dedicated sub-net. Some pop up on NASA's own pub-acc boards... we had one guy actually roost here for a day or two during STS-115... he's not around anymore, OK? Wink. I read there at NASA and it "don't feel quite Halal or kosher". No siree, seriously serially surreal really DWW, the engine is knocking. Let's hope it's a search engine. When you have a mo' read Shana Dale's blog and you tell me who wears the pants at NASA these days.

"a key mission of all NEO industry types was to raise public awareness of the NEO risk and what is being done to discover these potential risks. With just a little push this could have been a prime story on front page. So why not "educate" as they state in their key missions. Think we have figured that one out with moving day and all...but that just tells me there is more digging to do. If real data is going to be smothered in the future like this, it makes even more sense."

You have put into verbage my exact sentiments and concerns. 2007TU24 was/is different from Apophis and every other asteroid story spun up in the last decade. NEODys should have a comp release soon. I'm betting another 48 hours and the E MOID will open to about 0.00125 or there abouts. If someone is screwing with the data or the actual object we might see "more wobble" factor... maybe less.

A friend (let's call him Ivan) in Boston writes for one of the science mags... he's working on a piece about this very problem. He's pretty damn smart, and a real accredited scientist... used to do TV science up here and a whack of other "good" work. The money dried up... typically Canadian brainage-drainage. When he publishes for his company I'll be sure and point it out.

Cheers DWW', thanks eh,

Vic

EDIT: So I go looking for the NASA guy... I was sure his handle was SapaceGuy or very similar. he was a member, he posted a funny pic from Houston Control. Do you think I can find him in the ATS membership? I must have his handle wrong. I wanted to post the pic, dang.

Here's the member search I tried here. I used SpaceGuy and space and a wack of other likelies as search terms. No luck. Should my memory (which isn't great) actually remember or find buddy I'll post. Any other members remember SpaceGuy?

[edit on 29-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

I already know I will look, and I will probably want to look more than my kids!
I have never had a telescope or peeped through one. I bet it would be pretty darn neat. I will have to google or ebay some and just check em out to see what all kinds are made. Any pics of our rock yet?

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
the excitement is over for now but dont relax too soon----- i'm positive that long before 2027? some huge unexpected? replacement for tu24 --and not just planet X-- will arrive on scene and have us almost hysterical?

thanks for this thread----it was interesting to observe the different reactions.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Resolution of about 7.5 meters per pixel, 3 minute data stream. Look it's a pixel encrusted thingy....In case any of you are still interested... Hopefully there will be more at higher detail than 7.5m/in.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:11 PM
link   
No optical or radar images yet Juicy. They simply must be out there. Maybe one of those "highest-bidder" science for profit deals. Bah, humbug, lump of coal. I imagine many astromoners will be getting some rest and/or gettin' ready for the Mars shindig. I will post ASAP as soon as there's pics.

Cheers,

Vic

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Mil Spec

Coool!!! Thanks Mil. Best thing all day!

Vic

EDIT: I make it 14 x 7.5M "tall" and 10 x 7.5M "across" or 344.482 feet tall and 246.063 feet across. Hmmm. That assumes each square is a pixel. Lemme work it a bit.

ANOTHER EDIT: We need one more shot from the same source and we can calculate approximately the volume using an ovoid as a basal geometry. Please post what you can!!!

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   
No sign of Asteroid...whew!!!!! Aint gonna happen folks.

Everyone remember the 1980's movie 'War Games'?
Remember at the end of the movie when the computer 'Joshua' had its heyday checking out every possible scenerio of nuclear world war?
I feel like those giddy military personnel checking in and making sure everyone else is ok.

"Canada here....reporting NO celestial activity in our region. Cheyenne Mountain? How's it going with you folks down south?

lololol

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Duckey,

The folks at Cheyenne Mountain sent for pizza and everything is running smoothly. The hardest part for them was deciding what toppings on the pizza!!!
At exactly 3:33 i tripped over my nephew who was sleeping on the floor next to me, (I was on th couch) and crashlanded head-on on the floor, splattered all over the place, and hurt my left side of the face and skinned my right knee. My left eye was beet Red this morning LOL. The asteroid didnt get me, but its influence on Earth had an impact on ME.

I knew something would happen.

Ironic.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Thanks milspec, any way to bring it to a more defined picture? Amazing, look at how it was shaped. It does resemble the examples set forth in the first pages of this thread. Are they all similarly shaped? Do we know what type it is yet or where it came from? Are there any others out there following this one that we should know about? And also with all the speculation about the black ops technology and advanced secret space agencies, why would we have not caught this one until Oct. 22nd? And what about our satellites in space? Why did they not pick up on something that could have harmed our space station?

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ionized
... Asteroid related or not, the solar space environment seems to be having an effect on the weather around here..

We are going from 40 degrees down to 8, in a matter of hours tonight. It is supposed to hit around 7pm eastern and start dropping dramatically.

It's called a cold front man

This one happens to be a arctic front. Being that it is winter time and has been for weeks, this is not surprising, this is not weird, etc.

I have NEVER seen this dramatic of a variance over such a short time scale. And I'm not the only one, someone else posted about similar change in their area.

Most people have very short term memories when it comes to the weather. I don't think there's a place in the U.S. that hasn't experience such changes (yes, even is such a short period of time). We notice them more in the winter time because it gets so cold, but these temperature swings happen year round all over.

Life in the middle lattitudes, gotta love it

People who think that the solar environment and space physics have nothing to do with Earthly weather, are still operating under the outdated, closed-system paradigm. But in reality, with a proper understanding of space physics and non-linear, open-systems, it is plain to see that our planet and atmosphere are immersed in an open-system where solar activity and other factors external to our planet indeed have an effect.

You are correct, and it can be correctly argued that things like solar activity have more of an effect on global warming/cooling than humans

Back on topic:
Yeah! We're still here!

Not that there was any doubt....

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

dgtempe, see you're still alive.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

You sure that's the REAL reason your knees are skinned?

Here's wishing Mr Roid a safe journey.. Please come back again soon.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Back checking... the best part of hockey.

Ok... with this pic I get a length of 114M (374 feet) which seems pretty close to the more current pic... notice how everything with this stuff has an element of non-certainty. Just a couple of good optical pics... please. Please. Please.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Soooo....if the military started out with a Devcon 1 that's ok. (Means only 1 topping on the pizza.) Dang...

When National Security hits Devcon 5...they get 5 topping on the pizza! Whooo HOOOOO!

Ok...my bad...sorry...lololol

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

h ya, Baby. It is this time!!

Wiseass.

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:17 PM
link   
The current weather has nothing to do with the asteroid.

Put it this way ... our Chicago weather was forcasted this way 4-5 days ago. We get one of these 40-60 degree swing days every year or so.

They couldn't even nail the true distance of TU24's orbit until ... well ... it passed haha.

Just a coincidence, that's all.

I too await some optical images (that's gonna be my only reward for staying up until the butt-crack of dawn).

EDIT: forgot to mention our wonderfully-easy-to-predict Chicagoland weather

[edit on 1/29/2008 by Fiverz]

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by AGENT_T

Here's wishing Mr Roid a safe journey..

That's the 2nd time I had the privelage of viewing 'da Roid' thingy today. One time in here; the other in BTS to which the thread closed)

To be honest, this ASSteroid topic has been a pimple on my arse since this thread started. (not the actual thread...lolol)

I was watching everyone's posts, since the beginning....

Here was my thoughts:

Scared, NOT scared, whimpy whimpy, HEFTY scared, MEH, scared again, (up to the 50th page), desensitised, whimpy, scared again (watched doomsday scenerios on history channel),,, and NOW at the 100 or so page mark???? MEH....

~Ducky~

posted on Jan, 29 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   
well here in europe it doesnt pass till 12.40 am..its 10.35 p.m now...but the forecast for 24 hours on is force 8 to 10..dont know if that is any thing to do with it?

top topics

<< 101  102  103    105  106  107 >>

join