It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ncuncfan2006

How big was it? Bigger or smaller than 400 m?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Is there any data available on the density of TU24? Seems that would be more important than its size. It could be the size of a grapefruit but have the density of a billiard ball. Its density would affect the probability of it hitting the Earth's surface more than its size would, right? That would also figure more prominently when trying to predict what kind of damage would result from impact, I think.

There's a lot of armchair science going on here, has anybody come across any factual data about TU24's composition? I want to know two things. Whether it's going to hit the Earth, and what is it made out of? If TU24 is a paintball, we have less to worry about. If it's a bullet, well... Anybody have any answers to those questions?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I dunno.. But you guys are right a big enuff asteroid hitting the moon could send alot of debris our way. Id imagine if it hit the moon we would get quite a meteor storm maybe lasting up to a week.

Still dont see a earth ending scenario here just my opinion though.

[edit on 20-1-2008 by ncuncfan2006]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Keep your eyes to the skies

If it is indeed plasma discharge we will be experiencing, unusual weather patterns SHOULD be evident this upcoming week. Then I'll have reason to worry.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
What if the plasma discharge fries our moon?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I believe it gets the closest Feb 1st at .014 au

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:22 PM
link   
www.tu24..org... seems to be offline? Anybody else have any problems with the site loading?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Excellent post! I can't believe this is the first time I've read about this asteroid. It's really making me think! I don't think I've been this shaken since the last time I watched Zeitgeist.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Areal51
www.tu24..org... seems to be offline? Anybody else have any problems with the site loading?

area 51 eliminate the extra . between 24 and org!

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Someone said already that the closest approach will be on Jan 29th at .0038 AU or approximately 353,400 mi. Close, but not too close.

Yeah. That's true. But don't forget to calculate the double gravity (Earth and Moon). If it will approach us on that vector, there is a chance that it will get into our gravity field, which is already going to modify it's trajectory. And if it's going to happen, nothing will stop this little thing to hit us or the moon itself.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:33 PM
link   
According to everything I ever read about asteroids killing us off on the web and seen on Tv programs this asteroid isnt big enough to cause mass extinction. Some of you guys seem to think this thing will blow us to kingdom come,

And plasma discharge there have been thousands of asteroids that have came close to the earth none of them discharged lol i dunno well see i guess

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by ncuncfan2006
and seen on Tv programs

lol....

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by testing
Keep your eyes to the skies

If it is indeed plasma discharge we will be experiencing, unusual weather patterns SHOULD be evident this upcoming week. Then I'll have reason to worry.

Like these?
www.abovetopsecret.com...

www.abovetopsecret.com...'

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by aaaauroraaaaa

Originally posted by ncuncfan2006
and seen on Tv programs

lol....

Yeah your right maybe those scientist on the discovery channel programs are fake and actually Mcdonald employees and we actually know more than they do.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:46 PM
link   
ncuncfan2006. No, I'm not believing it's going to cause a total destruction. But I wouldn't be happy if my city, even if my country, nor other countries would be in it's way.
The Tunguska meteorite caused a relatively small destruction in a forest area. Now, if it would hit a greater city, the death toll would be more thousands. I'm just concerned about this, not about total destruction. It's still not Armageddon. If it would be, Bruce would be already in a shuttle to stop it.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Dark im not saying its no reason for concern, but id be 1000 times more worried if this was a 1 mile, 2 mile or 5 mile wide object

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The idea that something the size of the sears tower having a negative charge and coming 1.4 times as close to us as the moon will make it grow to engulf the earth and cause earthquakes seems a little out there to me. I don't think they have proven that the comet expanded due to plasma charge. Where is that article please?

www.space.com...

Nobody knows why Holmes erupted, but it underwent a similar explosive brightening in 1892. The recent display, which began Oct. 24, brought the comet from visual obscurity to being one of the brighter objects in the night sky. It has since dimmed somewhat as the material races outward from the nucleus at roughly 1,100 mph (0.5 km/sec).

And was the expansion just Gas... would that really enter our atmospere?

Why didn't Jupiter blow up!!
apod.nasa.gov...

haha just kidding... but if I remember correctly that Holmes comet was not passing through or near a planet.. and a planet did not explode when it went by did it?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
If you are new to this thread you might want to check out the JPL/NASA Small-Body Database Browser.
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

On January 29th, the N.E.O. is .0045 AU from the Earth or around 400K miles (as a previous poster mentioned).

DC mentioned the combined gravity of the Earth and Moon.

I don't know what kind of formula you would need to use, but a few things need to be taken into consideration:

Speed of the Earth/Moon and near earth object

Diameter and mass of N.E.O. (400m wide and mass=?)

Gravity of Earth and Moon

Anything else that I left out?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well. According to it's size and speed... well, it's like if a Nimitz Class Aircraft Carrier with it's nuclear reactor would arrive into the atmosphere with damned great speed and would crash. Not much, but it would cause a smaller smoking crater... with some dust cloud, nice shiny VFX and SFX. Not much, but I don't want to be there, if it's lands. Maybe it's going to explode in the atmosphere, if it's going containing a bit of gas, because that's also possible and comparing this to an aircraft, which is exploding in the air... well, additional problem, because most of the wrecks can be found in this case app. 30-50 miles from the main explosion (Just remember the poor Columbia. It's debris was across three states.). Now if this beauty is going to explode in the orbit by some reason, that could cause trouble.

So as you can see, I'm just concerned about this. Too many IFs are present and too many things are possible due to the many unknowns. If it's going to hit us, if there will be this sort of scenario at all, where this "Here" will be? If it's going to pass, I will be happy.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join