It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+48 more 
posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   

UPDATE: January 28th:

Members have noticed a marked change in the earth's magnetosphere in this post, as this asteroid approaches.

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned.

Yahoo News Message Board

Admin Update: the account below was originally posted on the Yahoo News Message boards, but has since been removed by Yahoo management. I've recovered the posting from Google Cache to include below

Asteroid 2007 TU24 has NASA concerned. A former colleague of mine is now a contract worker for NASA who develops and maintains the software applications for the Solar System Dynamic simulator and other NASA applications. He called me last night to inform me that NASA has there full focus and attention on this asteroid. All software applications support staff have been directed to devote their time specifically to running solutions on this Near Earth Object. They are running solutions with different inputs and the results are so close to direct impact that NASA has decided not to update the online simulator with these results. When you look at the current solution online the last orbit determination parameter is from January 1, 2008. This data is 11 days old.

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

11 day old data for an object that has been getting closer and closer to us in each successive run is not normal protocol. Normal procedure would have the solutions posted online every two to three days at the beginning of the 30 day window which was December 29, 2007. As the window of time shrinks the data is refreshed with more frequency. The lack of refreshing the data online is suspicious and should raise some eyebrows amongst those who have intimate knowledge of how the astral community operates.

My friend, who I cannot identify, because of security issues told me that NASA is about 50/50 as to whether this asteroid will impact Earth. The dynamic variable that is in play is whether or not Earths gravity will pull the asteroid in. The trajectory angle that the asteroid is approaching from is the southern hemisphere. The solutions currently show numerous scenarios impacting Earth. The solutions that favor a Southern hemisphere impact are the most serious. These solutions are a direct straight on impact. The Northern hemisphere solutions vary widely from because there is the likelihood that the asteroid will fragment as it traverses Earths atmosphere. There is no possible way of knowing with 100% certainty how much this object will fragment if the Northern hemisphere solution pans out. The solutions that have this NEO missing Earth have it passing perilously close to satellites in orbit and the International Space Station.

This is a very fluid situation that literally changes by the minute. NASA is keeping a tight lip on the situation as they do not know with certainty what will transpire. The game plan in these situations is to avoid civil unrest and end of day’s paranoia. This is to ensure that the privileged class can make it easily to their safe havens, which are underground bunkers.

If you are praying man or woman I suggest to you that your prayers are directed toward the protection of Earth from this object. If you are not a praying person I suggest to you that you become one. May the Great Spirit protect us all!
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 28-1-2008 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I a newby and I COMPLETLy stumbled on to this..... there is a nasa addy there that shows the projected tragectory all dated today...... would appreciate any of you astro genii to give me the low down on wot this means
hope i havnt broken any rules here

Mungo

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Here's the Addy to the NASA page showing the trajectory

ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...

Mungo

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Doesn't Revelations say that Wormwood, the comet of Armageddon, will approach from the South?

Incredibly disturbing, if true.

This story is one of those pesky "my friend is an insider" deals that is almost impossible to corroborate. What's more, GLP isn't exactly the most reliable source for credible information.

While this could be entirely true and on the up-and-up, we need to try to find some other sources to back up what's being said here.

Can anyone find another source for this?

Flagged

[edit on 1/20/2008 by damajikninja]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by damajikninja

What freaked me is the date/time on the nasa page above
ssd.jpl.nasa.gov...
Cheers
Mungo

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by mungodave

Yeah, the datestamp is bothering me, too.

What's really going on at NASA?
The eternal question...

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by damajikninja

I dunno but I'll be lookin upwards tonight.............Gotta go fishin tomorrow
Cheers
Mungo

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by mungodave

I'm in Alaska, so I don't have a great view of what's going on with the comet down there below us... hope it stays clear!

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
The last observation was 1/18/08 not 1/1/08 as the website claimed.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
I've read from another source that the planet would get hit on January 28th, 2008. Around that date, if I remember correctly.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by TheoOne

Well that makes me feel better

And no-one is talkin bout this in light of planet X I suppose

Im not liking this at all eh

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:21 AM
link   
reply to post by stikkinikki

Hmm I just started looking at links and searching around... I don't have Java installed on this Ubuntu box yet, so I cannot verify the actual datestamp on the NASA simulator. Wanna take a screen shot for us?

reply to post by TheoOne

Any idea of the source? Think you could find it again? That information, if credible, would be great to add to this discussion.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
reply to post by stikkinikki

Hmm I just started looking at links and searching around... I don't have Java installed on this Ubuntu box yet, so I cannot verify the actual datestamp on the NASA simulator. Wanna take a screen shot for us?

I wish I new how... I tried.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Here I was able to find and support the information about the subject.

I don't think it will hit, though. Just a close approach, maybe. Mark your calendar, Jan 28 and 29, go outside and watch in the sky on that date as I decided I'm willing to.

[edit on 20-1-2008 by TheoOne]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Duplicate video removed.

Short video, with basic data about the asteroid and simulation of its impact trajectory. The video was produced by www.tu24..org.

EDIT: Oh, Snap! TheoOne beat me to it!

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Is there any indication as to it's composition?

Would a snow ball be of much concern?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   

I don't know if this will work or not but I am trying to post a picture of the orbit diagram.

Hey cool it worked. You can see TU24 passes very near the earth as it intersects earth's orbit. Maybe someone more knowlegeable than I can decipher the information on the JPL page to see just how close it is.

Ok, according to the new pic above, the closest approach will be on Jan 29th at .0038 AU or approximately 353,400 mi. Close, but not too close.

[edit on 20-1-2008 by Icarus Rising]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:45 AM
link   
hmmmmmm so could be some interesting around those dates
will keep my eyes to the sky indeeed.....

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:50 AM
link   
The concept of a Comet Holmes style plasma discharge from Asteroid 2007 TU24 mentioned in TheoOne's first video is less than comforting. Especially when compared to what happened in Russia 100 years ago in a similar situation with a much smaller rock.

Great work finding info about this thing! Kudos all around. What else can we dig up?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:53 AM
link   
What type of an impact would this asteroid have if it did hit the earth?

I realise that it's roughly twice the size of sears tower, and if it did break up to a certain extent in the atmosphere, something this big would still make an impact.

Would we see a massive Tsunami if it hit water?

Would we see changes in our global climate?

I'm just trying to gauge how worried I should be about this...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join