It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia: could use nuclear weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Russia's military chief of staff said Saturday that Moscow could use nuclear weapons in preventive strikes to protect itself and its allies, the latest aggressive remarks from increasingly assertive Russian authorities
link

Gen. Yuri Baluyevsky's comment did not mark a policy shift, military analysts said. Amid disputes with the West over security issues, it may have been meant as a warning that Russia is prepared to use its nuclear might.

Sounds like saber rattling. I wonder who are they waving at?

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Sounds like they've gotten their hands on information that someone is planning to launch an attack on Russia.

Without knowing exactly who is planning to attack them, I can only assume that the aggressors have gotten the message loud and clear, they will now know that the Russians are aware of their plan, and are prepping to stomp them out should they carry through.

Basically, someones plan to attack Russia has been detected.

If the aggressors are smart, they will go back under the covers right about now.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Russia only has nukes and oil as its aces in the game of world politics (it lost all the other cards when it was in the coma during the 90's). So who is really surprised that Putin is using both in his attempts to reenter world politics? This is not so much sabre rattling, than a disguised announcement that Russia is looking for ways to gain more political leverage when it comes to international poltics.

I doubt that there are any "aggressors" threatening Russia, unless you consider ex-oligarchs and wanna-be oligarchs and their echelon of political prostitutes to be "aggressors". But these can be scared away without nukes.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Well it could have been terrorists that have got hold of a suitcase nuke. I dont think even USA would be thick enough to attack Russia as that would be suicide. If it is terrorists the statement is aimed at, well i think Russia has the right to defend itself thoiugh i do think the use of nukes is OTT. Whistle up a squadron of jet fighters and then bomb the terrorist camp in question!! Just my 2p's worth.

top topics

join