It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tax checks to bail US out??

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Last time Bush sent out these checks..they made everyone pay them back!! WHAT a joke..Ron Paul has been telling the truth..we already ARE in a recession!!! And how is $800.00 gonna save someones home anyhow?? This is a joke..they will just print up some more monkey $$$ and our inflation will rise again..

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I will be saving my check for a rainy day. Sadly, I think that there will be many rainy days coming. I don't think this will have even a small effect on stimulating the economy. This money would probably be put to better use to help me survive another month or two if my company decides to start laying people off. The housing market is so bad that it would take months to sell my house if needed, so it would be very difficult if I were to lose my job. I would need all the help I could get to ride it out. I am not saying that I will be laid off, but better to be safe than sorry.

CNN has a poll up now (not scientific) but 58% will be paying bills, 33% will be saving it and only 9% will be spending it. So only 9% would be putting the money back into the economy.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   
really, what is 300 to a 1000 dollars gonna do????

when peoples mortgages are 2000 a month---wow,,,you stave off foreclosure for a month

also----i remember senior citizens getting a huge cut for something-----maybe had to do with heating or something------anyway my gramma got a check for 9 dollars-----wow a wopping 3 gallons of gas----man that really helped them out----actually i think it kept them from starving last year

the part that makes me laugh or maybe cry the most---it wasn't but 2 weeks ago bush was on tv saying the economy was find-----well then how do you get to a 1.5 billion stimulus package 2 weeks later?????????

i think we;re in for some tuff times----prices rising ---and then the companies that take advanteage of rising prices---raise prices for no reason--since it's expected anyway and make bigger profits while people starve or lose homes

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Take your $800 and buy half a gold coin...

George W. Bush is an embarrassment for humanity.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
One thing to consider about this stimulus check they are to target primarily the very poor.

Because they are the ones that will spend their money faster.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
I wouldn't mind getting a few bucks after christmas. But when you think about how much money has been made by the oil companies over the past few years, I'm kinda shocked that they didn't take over these loans as well.
I guess China will be taking over them instead and they will be the military police that takes over us during martial law and throw you out of these homes.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I think it is a great idea. Who cares if it doesn't help some people that took ARM's for barely what they were able to scrape together each month and just HOPED that the rates wouldn't rise. Hello, it is an ARM, the rates will rise, that is the only reason that banks even offer them, because they know that they will rise so they can make money.

So am I supposed to feel bad about getting a little bit of money because there are people out there who need more?

Some of us are not overextended on our homes. Most people in the US keep their payments less than 40% of their monthly income (as is prudent) and an extra $800 or $1600 for a married couple will be great.

Open an account through your favorite online brokerage and buy some foreign stocks of your choice and make some money off of this.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The tax rebate isn't to help the people who over extended themselves with their home loans. They are giving it to everyone else, hoping that they will spend it and keep the economy from collapsing.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   
The proposed tax break isn't designed to help you or me. It's designed as an economic stiumulus, i.e. to help out corporate America. They don't want you paying down your debt. The idea is that they give you $500 with the expectation that you will spend $1,000 on a new flat-screen TV.

And that's assuming you see a check at all. The Bush Administration's current thinking would give higher rebates to those households making $100,000+ annually. Meanwhile those at or near the poverty line might not see a dollar.

And, like was stated in an earlier post, where is this money coming from? The Federal Reserve will click a button and billions of $$ magically enter the system. It will devalue the dollar still further, hike inflation and worsen the coming recession.

Esoterica in America

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Yes, but won't this be effective enough to limp us along until Bush is out of office? Won't people want to wait a few extra months waiting on results from this stimulus package before abandoning ship?

That should ride us into the hollidays where people will still spend, probably less than usual but still spend as long as the media isn't screaming at them to save their money because they are going to need it. After that, Bush is gone, someone else takes his place and then the house of cards crumbles.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 06:15 AM
link   
Tax Checks are so 20th century,

i hear that the debit cards are the way to distribute the cash,
that way all those ATMs owned by banks get their ATM fees
instead of cashing US Treasury checks for no fee.

each card issued to each recipient can then be tracked as to what they spent the cash on...now that's 21st century data-mining !

top topics

join