It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Waking up in your dreams

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Hello everyone
Has anyone tried to wake up, or...take control of your dreams like saying: "hey this is a dream and i can do whatever i want ! "?

I have tried it, but as soon as i realize it is a dream, everything in the dream because fuzzy, like a on old tv with poor reception and...i awake.

Comments anyone?

saaxilk

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Lucid dreaming, I've only done it twice. The first time was by complete accident, the second time, I was aware. Very strange, indeed. It is a difficult thing to accomplish, but very cool once it happens. I say go get some books or read up about it. I have heard, (and experienced), that if you look at your watch, and then look at it again the time won't stay the same. Also, it's impossible to read anything, cause the letters jumble up into incoherent blahs. I don't know, its a crazy thing.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by saaxilk

Well, if some dreams were interactive messages while we are sleeping, than you should be asking questions or just pay attention and relax.

I have had a few dreams like these in which I woke up too soon and saw a matrix type scroll in front of me for a few seconds. That's even more freaky and infers it's not just our own imagination sometimes.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Hey there, I have been a lucid dreamer for as long as I remember (and I have memories of when I was just getting the whole 'walking' thing) and there are many different ways to achieve lucidity. Know that there are different levels and not all of them are as "clear" as you may want them to be, but you will be able to do whatever you want still. And yes, sometime it is not just your imagination at work while dreaming.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quasar
Lucid dreaming, ...that if you look at your watch, and then look at it again the time won't stay the same.

What does that mean? Looking at your watch when? In comparison to when?
Clarify if you can...
Thanks!

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   
That's one technique one can use to recognize they're dreaming (looking away and back at a clock or watch).

[edit on 20-1-2008 by Shakesbeer]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Right, the time won't be the same for some reason. And if you try to read something, its all just an incoherent mess. I can't say all the time, but the second time I realized I was lucid dreaming was when I looked at a clock, that is what sparked the lucid dream in that instance.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
i love it when i 'wake up' in a dream. I always get a sense of excitement because i can then manipulate what is happening to be non-threatening and lovely

i've only ever done it about 2 dozen times that i can remember though.
i wsh they would happen more often, because a couple of them predicted the future; but in such a way that what was going to happen would always be the 'background' in the dream. I've recently learned how to notice it, and in my last dream, all i could grasp hold of were a couple of sentances said by my mother, and my sisters pregnancy problems (before she had them), but the next day, everything happened exactly as it did in my mind. I havent had one of those dreams again yet, but im ready when i do; i always keep a pen and paper close by.

oh, and i also predicted my grandfathers death when i was younger, come to think of it...just thought i'd add that in.

and does anyone, in this dream state, feel happier?, or more worried when the are about to actually wake up?, because that sometimes happened to me...

[edit on 20/1/2008 by plmodel]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   
To mirror some previous posts, there are a few methods to realize you are dreaming. One is inconsistency of "time," ie you look at you watch, look away, and look back to see a completely different time. Text appears jumbled or features strange characters. Light switches don't work.

These are signs you can use to "realize" you are dreaming. You have to take it over from there.

I have managed it a couple times, but the whole regimented lucid dream initiation stuff on the web doesn't really work with my lifestyle. My experiences usually happen in the morning when I am waking. For most of them I remember being partially awake- eyes open, aware of physical surroundings, while simultaneously being aware that some part of my brain is dreaming and being able to control the dream to an extent.

Its a cool experience, but usually leaves me pretty tired. Guess my mind is doing double duty or something.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 02:52 AM
link   
I have had dreams where I realized I was dreaming, and was able to leap off buildings and such. Not very often though.

I have also had dreams where I knew I was dreaming, but could not wake up. Actually, not dreams really in this case. I have been prone to night terrors since my first memories.

In one instance about a year and a half ago, I had some interaction with an entity that scared the hell out of me. I kept trying to wake up, and was finally able to. A nice day actually, late in the morning, sun was out. I really breathed it all in for a few minutes, being very glad to be awake and to be greeted by such a nice day. But the entity was still there. Suddenly I woke up. Yes, you read that right. The same way I had woke up the first time, the time of day, the view outside the window, all the same. But this time I had the distinct feeling that I had been used as a doorway for the entity to enter this reality. There was a little more to it, but I can't really put it into words.

[edit on 1/21/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 05:10 AM
link   
I always know I'm dreaming, I've been a Lucid dreamer since I was a child, everyone has a gift of some sort and thats mine. Most people say take control of your dream, I prefer to let my subconscious do the driving, it's way more fun, as unexpected things can still happen in your lucid dream.

I've wanted to do an experiment for a while now with another lucid dreamer. Get a picture of that person and send them mine and see if we can meet up in a dreamstate. Pass each other a message, and see if that person and myself were just dreaming or if we were in a collective dream state.

I know there are a few people in my dreams, I've never met or seen before, and yet they crop up in my dreams regularly. Would be nice to think they're other lucid dreamers somewhere out in the real world.

Peace....

[edit on 21-1-2008 by Rock Ape]

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by jdposey

Numbers and letters don't really make sense when you are lucid dreaming. If you look at a clock and it says 3:30, if you look back at it odds are it will read something completely different. Usually, they don't make any sense at all for me. I can look at a clock and know that it should have a time on it, but be completely baffled as to why I can't make out what it says. Usually it is just blurry and completely unreadable for me.

There are a lot of tricks to try and keep the dream going. The best is just practice though. The more you do it, the less excitement you feel when it works so you can stay in the dream longer. A trick that I used to use was rubbing my hands together. The sensation of that would usually bring the clarity of the dream back.

Man, I wish I was still Lucid Dreaming....

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 10:04 AM
link   
yeah, that happens to me and my one friend occasionally, i thought it was a common thing that happened to everyone.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Rock Ape

I'm in the same boat as you, been lucid dreaming for as long as I can remember and generally I let my subconscious & higher-consciousness lead me. However, when I see something either during "indexing time" in the other two phases that I want to do, I will. If not, I just let my consciousness show me what it thinks I need to see.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Thanks to everyone for your answer, i will try the clock thing next time it happens to me

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I 'awoke' during a dream about a year ago, but when I tried to focus on an interesting pattern on a coffee table, everything went blurry and I woke up.
I've decided to let things be the next time, but alas, no luck so far.
I know the Carlos Castaneda books are supposed to be fictitious, but he does give a technique, where the dreamer should attempt to look at their hands whilst dreaming, but I keep waking up.
I did find that, after a meal in the evening, with the TV switched on and rambling in the background, I sometimes get drowsy, and enter a half sleep state starting to dream very vividly, but the TV stops me falling asleep completely. I always forget to look at my hands.
Very irritating.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Ive always wondered who are the "extras" are in my dreams . where do they come from. I always thought they were either people you see every day but ignore. you know the people in line with you at the grocery store,the person next to you at the street light, or an extra in a movie that caught your sub councious. Or are they people you know from a pervious life. sorry for any spelling/grammer mistakes

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by twestjr79

Ive always wondered who are the "extras" are in my dreams . where do they come from. I always thought they were either people you see every day but ignore. you know the people in line with you at the grocery store,the person next to you at the street light, or an extra in a movie that caught your sub councious. Or are they people you know from a pervious life. sorry for any spelling/grammer mistakes

(new to this site!)

I lucid dream and got proper bullyed the other night by someone who I'd swear I've never seen/met before. I'm not the sort of person who is bullyed in real life and yet she dominated me with ease reguardless of my reactions. I wondered the significance and who she could be, another dreamer, spirit or someone trying to teach me a lesson?

posted on Jan, 24 2008 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sam_a

It could be a lot of thing really, dreams are so multi-contextual often they mean more then one thing at a time. One possible interpretation could be an aspect of your personality that you may be forced to come to grips with, or it could be you testing yourself, or it could just be some biotch in the astral plane messing with because she could. The scenarios you mentioned are also very possible. Either way, should the situation arise again, I always tell people who encounter hostility in the astral plane to counter with positivity when possible. This often catches things off guard and seems to break any perceived power the figure might have had over you. Sometime you do have to fight though, and as long as you remember you're dreaming and nothing has power over you, eventually you'll either win, they'll leave, or you'll go somewhere else. Especially if it was not your desire to fight in the first place(be it with yourself or "other").

If you want to figure it out it's best to write down everything you can remember about the dream (including any sounds or smells), then see how the various contextual icons can fit themselves into conscious life. The subconscious speaks in concepts so the logic is rarely very linear. They are very riddle-like in the sense you can have one aspect of the dream totally figure out (like the action) but not until later do you realize the location was actually the most pertinent information to your conscious life.

Hope that helps some....

posted on Jan, 27 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I remember a couple years back, while dreaming I realized I was having a dream and started taking control of what was going on. I can’t do it anymore, but at the time I could do something like wanting to get laid in my dream and I would….

It was pretty damn awesome……If only I could do it now…..

<<   2 >>

join