It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pseudoskeptics and Disinformants on ATS

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

i dont know about "paid dis-informents" but i suspect from recent encounters i've had or seen that there is a group of islamofascists and their supporters that are working together as a team on some threads to drive their message home to us.

up to this point i havent wanted to lable anyone as an enemy (check my profile)but i'm tired of being on the receiving end of some criticisms which i view as anti-semitic while the complaints about me straying off thread are true, i suppose,-----i dont even conscientiously try to do it---just stupid i guess.

i enjoy talking to most normal people but i just wish the cynics would find somewhere else to fault find because they wont find too many einsteins here to make their day perfect.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Rather than the "pseudoskeptics," I think information flow is impeded much more by the "pseudokook." Those would be the folks who rush into the forums with riduculous enthusiasm about some minor detail they believe somehow proves an extremely doubtful point. They come across so embarrassingly extreme, ludicrous and borderline insane that those with more moderate viewpoints are forced so shy away from them, and those with opposing viewpoints can use them as an example of how ridiculous the entire argument is.

Maybe they're people who have a legitimate point to make, but the function they serve is to poison the entire well of legitimate inquiry. If they are legitimate, they're too stupid to understand that they're doing their side a huge disservice.

The primary tool of these pseudokooks is the overmagnified image. Grainy, over-pixillated images, thick with compression artifacts, are presented with horribly bad "enhancement" as absolute proof of their wacky claims, although any reasonable person looking at them understands the folly of trying to interpret a few stray pixels as something profound. But the kooks have no concept of there being too much noise to find any worthwhile signal. If you don't see the same thing they do, suddenly you're "not willing to see the Truth." Yeah, whatever.

Overall, I think playing a lunatic card (whether legitimate or faked) is much more disruptive and damaging than any form of skepticism. Even a fake skeptic can point out legitimate flaws in an argument. A real or fake kook just polarizes the topic and sours any potential avenues for discussion. Give me a pseudoskeptic over a kook any day.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:44 PM
link   
anti72: yes, I know it's infiltrated. (Not really a difficult thing to do when it's free and anonymous to sign up
)

But just for the record, the 3 Amigos are totally cool

Originally posted by malganis
Come on, there has to be a bit of a balance between for/against arguments otherwise everyone on this site would just believe in reptilians and moon base theories without rationally questioning them. Surely that's just as bad as believing everything the TV says?

You are right, people shouldn't just believe everything without questioning. There should be at least a reasonable base of evidence to support belief.

P.S. don't just label me a 'disinfo agent' now because I don't outright agree with your theories without even questioning them. that would just prove my point.

Hey, only a disinfo agent would say something like that!

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
You can label me a disinfo agent

After all, if you say the world is flat, or that marshmallow aliens shot down the WTC, or that the Sun is 12ft across and made of lead, I'm liable to dismiss your ideas and offer evidence that you're wrong (or, at the least, that they have no validity - not sure I can entirely disprove the marshmallow alien theory) ..... And the same goes for 1,000s of other ill conceived and unlikely ideas presented on ATS, usually by those who haven't quite done their homework.

I'm always willing to be proven wrong though

So what's wrong with that? What does anyone have to fear? But the truth?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by yahn goodey

i dont know about "paid dis-informants" but i suspect from recent encounters i've had or seen that there is a group of islamofascists and their supporters that are working together as a team on some threads to drive their message home to us.

up to this point i havent wanted to lable anyone as an enemy (check my profile)but i'm tired of being on the receiving end of some criticisms which i view as anti-semitic .

shalom.

I know the muslims you are talking about (I read the threads) and they are most certainly not disinfo-agents (except unwittingly
). They are honestly writing for their cause.

Thats a good example to discern between disinformers and foes.

[edit on 20-1-2008 by Skyfloating]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Contemporary Conspiracy Theory offers a different view of the world: It says that those who fear loss of power fear the truth and therefore conceal it.

This site is for conspiracy theory.

Then we have a bunch of know-it-alls showing up here saying "Aint nothin secret"

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Nohup

Have you considered that that could be part of the strategy too? Have guys creating lots of ridiculous, insane threads to make the whole site look bad?

- Debunk/discredit the people who really are close to the truth at all costs
- Spread lots and lots of disinformation, distortions and half-truths
- Post lots and lots of crazy garbage to make the whole site look bad

Would the alphabet-soup agencies be willing to spend a few thousand dollars here and there to have guys doing this routinely on the #1 site on the internet?

You bet your behind they would!!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nohup
Give me a pseudoskeptic over a kook any day.

Pseudoskeptic tactics is only one method of disinformation. The other method is just the opposite: Pose as a kook and make a topic look ridiculous.

The blocks to deeper research are on both sides. But must of us will not be dissuaded from research anytime soon.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
reply to post by MrdDstrbr

we posted almost the same response at the same time

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by undo
Skyfloating,
I wonder how many websites deliberately place devils advocates into threads in order to help them along

you are absolutely right on that angle. I've got to remember "think out of the box!"

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   

You can label me a disinfo agent

After all, if you say the world is flat, or that marshmallow aliens shot down the WTC, or that the Sun is 12ft across and made of lead, I'm liable to dismiss your ideas and offer evidence that you're wrong (or, at the least, that they have no validity - not sure I can entirely disprove the marshmallow alien theory) ..... And the same goes for 1,000s of other ill conceived and unlikely ideas presented on ATS, usually by those who haven't quite done their homework.

I'm always willing to be proven wrong though

Yes, the truth is scary isn't it?

Do you equate chemtrail to marshmellow aliens and a Sun made out of lead?

edit to add: I know I spelled marshmallow wrong.

[edit on 20-1-2008 by interestedalways]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Absolutely...as they are in many other forums. they have those who are also derailing religious truths and anything that will lead away from truth...promote the UFO BS, evolution BS, global warming BS, and many other derailments.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

Its interesting to read profiles though. When you see the profile of someone who has been here since many years without starting a single conspiracy or UFO-related thread but only debunking threads you have to wonder: "What is his purpose of coming to ATS? Wouldnt he want to go to a Forum where he could talk to the like-minded?"

Disclaimer: Not talking about you specifically Essan. Dont think you are a disinfo-agent.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrdDstrbr
reply to post by Nohup

Have you considered that that could be part of the strategy too? Have guys creating lots of ridiculous, insane threads to make the whole site look bad?

- Debunk/discredit the people who really are close to the truth at all costs
- Spread lots and lots of disinformation, distortions and half-truths
- Post lots and lots of crazy garbage to make the whole site look bad

absolutely.thats a hard job, look how many 911 holographic-mini nukes-threads are going on. that means massive CIA personal costs man..

..´three amigos´?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   

I also choose to add a disclaimer. I was not naming anyone as a disinfo agent. I hate that term, actually. I was having a little fun, as Essan was and sometimes the sarcastic lingo can be entertaining and funny.

Essan, I have posted on many threads with you and I percieve you as a fellow member who just happens to think differently than I do.

I am not going to go into a witch hunt mentality either, as a poster mentioned earlier.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

no of course not. wasnt implying that.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Disclaimer: Not talking about you specifically Essan. Dont think you are a disinfo-agent.

Cheers mate

Originally posted by interestedalways

Essan, I have posted on many threads with you and I percieve you as a fellow member who just happens to think differently than I do.

Likewise

I know some people think me arrogant, thinking I know everything and always coming onto threads and dismissing various claims etc. But if someone sees something they don't understand, and you know where they can find information about it, even though that info goes against their beliefs, or they reference a website saying the Moon is made of marshmallow and seem to believe it, what would you do? Especially when you know full well the Moon is made of cheese ....

You can definitely call me a sceptic though

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

But if someone sees something they don't understand, and you know where they can find information about it, even though that info goes against their beliefs,

I consider that an opportunity for growth and learning.

I don't necessarily like it but it is part of the process.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Skyfloating, I agree with you absolutely. I have noticed exactly the same patterns, and that it why I picked up a purely ATS habit;

When I see that a topic is being derailed, I keep referring people to FallacyFiles.org, which clearly shows EXACTLY how and why the topic is being derailed!

USE THE SOURCE! It’s all around you!

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The universe is INFINITE with INFINITE INFINITES!

Therefore anything is possible, and to me thinking outside the box is to think outside our planet as a whole and what we do take for truth on our planet.

watchZEITGEISTnow

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join