It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Windows Vista successor scheduled for a H2 2009 release?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Source

"Chicago (IL) - Several industry sources have confirmed to TG Daily that a very early version of Windows 7, previously code-named Blackcomb Vienna, already has been shipped to “key partners” as a “Milestone 1” (M1) code drop for validation purposes. A roadmap received by TG Daily indicates that the new operating system will be introduced in the second half of 2009."

It seems all systems go faster for the next operating system-it seems to imply that Vista's "issues" are not going to be solved by service packs.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I remember reading at the time Vista came out, that some high up dude at MS said they wanted to close the release times between Op systems. He was ripped in to at the time... Me thinks the story got brushed under the XP.

Vista is a load of old wadscollop.

MicroSuffer. and OH how ye will suffer.

MonKey

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

IMO, Vista is the next gen windows ME-before Vista, the biggest piece of do-do ever created.

Note, some web sites refer to Vista as ME2.

It was SSOO bad, M$ just went all in with windows 2000 the next year.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Hmm... maybe before they start work on Vista's successor they should FIX Vista? I had a very unfortunate time with my new computer I purchased in feb 07. It came preinstalled with vista and after pulling my hair out for a month or so I "upgraded" back to XP.

I doubt I will ever go back to Vista let alone get excited over vistas successors upcoming release.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Like windows 98 ME, it is sooo full of issues that it is not really worth trying to fix.

They are pouring all resources into new OS (called windows 7 or blackcomb).

I also expect they will NOT stop supporting XP until the new OS is out.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by mrmonsoon

Then all of us suckers who bought vista are out of luck? I read somewhere that a beta version of Vista SP1 was released. I wonder how long before the official final SP1 will be out?

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
I think people who buy laptops have no option but to accept VISTA as preinstalled. I really wish they have an option for XP. I have to repartition the laptop and upgrade to XP. Finding the drivers is really a pain as you have to source for it in the internet and find the original manufacturers. The laptop's website only offers basic XP drivers, but won't provide the drivers for sounds, touchpad, chipsets, video, and etc. It seems that Microsoft is forcing buyers to accept VISTA whether they like it or not. What a scam and a waste of money.

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 02:56 AM
link   
I like Vista. I built a new computer to run it on. But I still have my older, perfectly good, computer running xp. The only thing I can run on Vista, are new programs, designed just for Vista. All my older hardware and programs, I have to use on my XP computer.
But if you want a computer for running the newest PC games, with the new Nvidia graphics cards, and DX 10, Vista 64, Home Premium works great.
BTW I am using some of the Beta upgrades that MS has offered. You pretty much have to use it.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by jmdewey60]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 07:19 AM
link   
Vista is improving. It is a bloated pig that looks pretty. Even with 4GB of RAM and a 4GB ReadyBoost. MinWin has a kernel of only 25MB running in 40MB of memory. Vista's kernel is 4GB. Big diff. I got the impression that a 1.5GB installed "Pro" version of the Win7 OS was the goal.

Supplies of OEM XP Pro are drying up. They will need to do something soon. H2 2009 or perhaps even earlier. I tried the beta Service Pack for Vista... it installed. It only took just under two hours. No change in networking compatibility. Way slow with frequent LAN disconnects, "forgets" it's mapping... and it still will spontaneously reboot and leave no trace in the "improved" Event Viewer. I have one Vista OS just over a year old now... I plug it in once a month and spend the time to update it and not work all that much better on a quality x86 platform. I do like the audio on Vista much better at least with this hardware. Much more output db.

Eric Traut did a good presentation last year. Mostly about Hypervisor and VM. The link should open in WMP ... I didn't capture it and the seek on the vid doesn't work so one might have to watch the whole thing but the really interesting bit starts at 43 minutes. Win7 is shown in an early form. I like the ASCII art boot splash of the Windows flag. www.acm.uiuc.edu...

Cheers,

Vic

Comedic/tragic Canadian video from CBC Marketplace "What you should know before you call a geek in to fix your computer". Video link that should open in WMP. The story's webpage here.

[edit on 23-1-2008 by V Kaminski]

posted on Jan, 23 2008 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by V Kaminski

V, please note: OEM operating systems have a limited number of reloads-that is why it is cheaper.
If you load and never change, it is fine.
If you constantly play/reload your OS, this is a BAD deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

top topics

join