It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

3 Years Jail for Muhammad cartoons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Belarus jails editor over Muhammad cartoons

english.aljazeera.net

Belarus has jailed for three years an editor of a newspaper who reproduced cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad that first appeared in Denmark in 2005.

The 12 cartoons, portraying the founder of Islam, including one showing him with a bomb in his turban, outraged Muslims who consider them slanderous and blasphemous.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 18-1-2008 by bakednutz]

[edit on 19-1-2008 by bakednutz]

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Crazy, they are jailing this guy for 3 years because of some cartoon drawings. Three Years. I sure am glad I live here in the US even though if someone were to draw these and put them in a US paper they would probably be fired and harassed for the rest of their life.

english.aljazeera.net
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Na, they were posted in a Philly paper in the U.S. I don't think they were fired, just harrassed a bit.

Whats interesting to me is that the KGB arrested him, and took all the equipment from the newspaper before it even made it to the customers.

He still got 3 years for pics in a paper that never made it to the public. Like the KGB care about Mohammad cartoons? Strange.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by makeitso

Do you know anything more about the KGB's involvement with this? Very interesting.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Belarus authorities might have used the cartoon as an excuse to take down the editor with whom they had other issues. And I believe the Czar of Belarus announced some time ago that it is illegal to publish those cartoon in Belarus. Russia has a similar "ban", or authoritative discouragement, although it is probably not really enforced.

Somewhat aside from this topic - Lukashenka seems to be bored lately. His Marxist-Soviet disneyland Belarus is stuck in time, while everyone around him are getting richer and fatter, including Russia.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by maloy

Yes there could be more to the story as you suggest, or maybe it is as it is and they really taking their cartoon drawings seriously.

top topics

join