It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America's Army Video game helps to save lives

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Gamer uses virtual training to save lives
Player of America's Army used in-games techniques in a rescue situation.

By Ben Silverman

Think playing video games is little more than a great way to waste time? Then you haven't met Paxton Galvanek. Last November, the twenty-eight year-old helped rescue two victims from an overturned SUV on the shoulder of a North Carolina interstate. As the first one on the scene, Galvanek safely removed both individuals from the smoking vehicle and properly assessed and treated their wounds, which included bruises, scrapes, head trauma and the loss of two fingers.

His medical background? None - other than what he's learned playing as a medic in the computer game America's Army.

The first-person shooter is developed and distributed by the U.S. Army. Though part of its mission is to promote its military namesake, America's Army is a fully-featured game that takes players through a virtual representation of real-life soldiering, from basic training to the field of battle. To play as a medic class, players must sit through extensive medical training tutorials based on real-life classes.

Lucky for the two survivors that Paxton Galvanek didn't zone out during the training, as the gamer credits this experience with teaching him how to handle himself in an emergency situation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Link to Yahoo Article

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Having played with this game in the past I can say the realism is rather amazing, but I never thought it was quite this real.

I always figured that this game was used as a method of getting the video game generation (myself included) to join the military because hey if it's as fun as the video game why not? I must say that i'm very pleased that the advice/training given in the game was accurate, there are quite a few games out there that simulate medical operations yet are horribly wrong in everything they show because they're supposed to be for entertainment.

I think this is an interesting example of people using the knowledge learned in a video game to apply to real life, the only question is, how does the person know the advice or training is accurate? And also do you believe such games should be used by the government as a recruiting tool?

new topics

join