It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Genecists Discover how to Extend Human Life to 800 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Genecists Discover how to Extend Human Life to 800 years

io9.com

There is now a way to extend the lifespan of organisms so that humans could conceivably live to be 800 years old. In an amazing development, scientists at the University of Southern California have announced that they've extended the lifespan of yeast bacteria tenfold -- and the recipe they used to do it might easily translate into humans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
This reminds of the debate on whether old testament characters really did live to be 100's of years old, like they say.

If its a simple gene expression or deletion, then it could be feasible.

io9.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Just wondering even if man could make it to 800, what are the odds of him reaching that age when, many are lucky enough to make it to 70. And what implications would that have on the human brain. Could it store 800 years worth of information?

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
If this is true then this is most likely the last we'll hear of it. Extended lifetimes won't be a privilege enjoyed by the slave population, only those at the top of the tree will ever be allowed access.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Chris McGee

Well who do you think is going to pick their Corn, slaughter their beef, and salt and pepper their green? Or pour their wine, wash, iron and fold their clothes? How about clean their @*&$ and take care of the house and yards, built their toys, cars, and rockets, cause they ain't gonna do it them selves. Ha, Ha!!!

Anyways, I say a TV program a while back on genes and how they don't have a real "time to end" code to them. The Geneticists claimed that in about 5 years they will be able to extend life 25 years or more and in 10 years they will be able to extend it by 50 years, but in 15 years they will be able to extend it indefinitely. I can't remember the name of show for sure I kinda of think it was "Elixir of life", but it was very interesting. Does anyone know the name of the show, cause I would really like to see it again.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Yay, we can all look like this guy...

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Seems to me that scientists should put a bit more effort into improving or saving the lives of those who are dying every day from diseases and cancers instead of trying to be the first to come up with the fountain of youth. But I suppose there's more money in treatment than in cures. People think that the world is getting close to over-population now, just imagine the crowding and over-population that will come with people living hundreds of years. Assuming that they don't die of one of those diseases or cancers that scientists are in no hurry to cure.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
WE HAVE lived 300+ years back in the days of the old..
Bible states this.

The atmopshere was a lot thicker, is one reason.

We now lived in a world of disgust, pills and life damaging ordeals.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Not to get off topic, but I've noticed with the recent announcements of cancer, aids, and life research that...

Jesus, this has to be the most evidently self-loathing and pessimistic thread I've ever read on ATS!

Seriously, does everyone on ATS hate themselves or something?

Any time there is news of a cancer vaccine, aids cure, or life extension, the replies are always the same!

"What makes you think we'll have access to it?"

"They should be focusing on something else!"

"Why would you want to live that long?"

Does "Good" news even exist to anyone here, or is it all skewed in your heads to the point that it is slaughtered and dissected only to magnify the most obscure negative values?

"Who would want to look like Yoda?"

"scientists are in no hurry to cure."

"who do you think is going to pick their Corn, slaughter their beef, and salt and pepper their green?"

"Extended lifetimes won't be a privilege enjoyed by the slave population."

"WE HAVE lived 300+ years back in the days of the old.. Bible states this. "

Are you KIDDING me?! Logician magician to ATS, this is EARTH! Come in! DO YOU READ ME?!?

Life extension is great, and it would only have us find cures to other ailments much quicker, as the experienced and intelligent would have more time to chip away at our problems.

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   
How's this then:

(straight face)

"Great! Where do I sign up? I totally need another 760 years of this crap world!"

Convincing?

Cuhail

posted on Nov, 24 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
damn yeah,i wonder if 800 years is long enough for me to meet the godmachine and stare him right in his malcontencious eye and give him a good spanking!

alternativly a time machine would be an alternative,one way or another he will know the wroth of man!

new topics

top topics

join