It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Researchers Develop Bionic Contact Lens

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Researchers Develop Bionic Contact Lens

www.foxnews.com

Scientists have taken the first step toward creating digital contact lenses that can zoom in on distant objects and display useful facts.

For the first time, engineers have installed an electronic circuit and lights on a regular contact lens.

"Looking through a completed lens, you would see what the display is generating superimposed on the world outside"
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I imagine this tech has been around for a few years and used by CIA and such agencies. I bet they even had a hand in developing it.

Ever see the movie Barb Wire? If you remember the plot centered on a pair of contact lenses that would allow someone to beat a retnal eye scan. I bet there are lenses like that too.

I see contact lenses replacing most eye glasses soon. The will be able to adjust to light, distance, etc.

This tech could greatly improve military accuracy for snipers and soldiers.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   

The prototype they created does not actually light up or display information. But it proves that it is possible to build an electronic lens that is safe to wear and doesn't obstruct vision.

www.foxnews.com...

They don't even have a working prototype yet, so I don't think it's reasonable to think this technology has been around.

Certainly, any reference to a movie doesn't have much pertinence.

If this technology can compensate for presbyopia, it will take the world by storm, regardless of whatever other application it may have.

Nearly half a person's life is spent with gradually deteriorating near vision.

A lens with the capability of multiple foci would change the lives of a lot of people.

Personally, I've never been a proponent of contact lenses and I doubt if I will live to see this become a reality, but it would be good news for a lot of folks who have yet to experience the onset of this disorder.

[edit on 2008/1/18 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllSeeingI
Ever see the movie Barb Wire? If you remember the plot centered on a pair of contact lenses that would allow someone to beat a retnal eye scan. I bet there are lenses like that too.

A contact lense could have a replication of another persons eye drawn on it, but it wouldn't fool the newer retinal scanners, as they also take pupil dillation into account.

And i don't believe these lenses have already been created.

Displaying images on a surface of a contact lense, doesn't really do much.
The images would be completely blurred. The eye simply can not focus on that distance.

That's why in VR helmets, you need lenses in front of the screen, to make it appear further away from the eye.

If these contact lenses would allow you to see the world around you, you couldn't see the images on them. If the lenses would have a dioptry to allow you to see the images on them, the world around you would be blurred.

Obviously they must have taken all this into account, so i'm very interested in how they intend to solve these problems and what will come out of it eventually.

In any case, it sounds very fascinating.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Yeah, I came up with infrared contacts a few years back this is interesting though. Why use N.V.G. when you can just put in your contacts. Night vision goggles.

[edit on 18-1-2008 by menguard]

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
You could most definitely take off/turn off night vision goggles faster and more efficiently then removing contacts.
Plus the goggles are on straps, where as the contacts need to be placed somewhere- In a special container so they don't become damaged or dirtied.
So, if you needed to get back to good ol' regular vision in a hurry, goggles make sense.

new topics

top topics

join