It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

water filtration for under $25us

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
water filter

Think I will purchase one of these and try it out. Below are the specs for the filter that I copied and pasted from the site.

Water Filter
...Just Water Ceramic Filtration Specifications
(filters Manufactured by Winfield and Black Jack Industries)

Product is manufactured to meet:
National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 42
National Sanitation Foundation (NSF) Standard 53
ISO 9002 Quality Standard
USA AEL Laboratories
USA Analytical Food Laboratories
USA Johns Hopkins University
British 5750 Quality Standard
England’s Water Research council (WRc) Performance Standards

The filtration efficiency is 0.5 micron

Removal capabilities as follows:
>99% Arsenic 5 and 99% Arsenic 3 (special order)
>99% Hydrogen Sulfide (H2S)
>95% Chlorine and Chloramines
>99% Taste
>99% Odor
>98% Aluminum
>96% Iron
>98% Lead
>90% Pesticides
>85% Herbicides
>85% Insecticides
>90% Rodenticides
>85% Phenols
>85% MTBE
>85% Perchlorate
>80% Trihalomethanes
>95% Poly Aromatic Hydrocarbons
>99.999% of particles larger than 0.5 micron (Staffordshire University Labs) (includes Anthrax)
>99.7% of particles larger than 0.3 micron (Staffordshire University Labs)
>98% of particles larger than 0.2 micron (Staffordshire University Labs)
>100% Giardia Lamblia
>100% Cyclospora
>100% removal of live Cryptosporidium (WRc Standard)
>100% removal of Cryptosporidium (NSF Standard 53 – A.C. fine dust – 4 log challenge)
>100% removal of E. Coli, Vibrio Cholerae (Johns Hopkins University)
>99.999% removal of Salmonella Typhil, Shigella Dysenteria, Kiebsiella Terrigena (Hyder Labs)

Product is silver impregnated
and will not permit bacteria growth-through (mitosis)
provides a hostile environment for all microbiological organisms and will not support their growth
Ceramic elements may be cleaned 100 or more times with a soft brush or damp cloth.

Performance Features:
Easy installation
Good flow rate / Up to 1 gallon of clean water per hour (gravity flow)
Up to 300 gallons per hour (pressure flow)
Filter will accept water from floods, lake, rain, well, tap, river or stream
Semi/Annual filter replacement Cleansable with clean damp cloth.

kafer

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Also check out Survival Straw. Works great and is portable. Stick in the river/lake/flood/pond of choice and suck.

You can find them for about $23 US on most sites.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by kaferwerks

Sounds like a USA version of the Berkey, which is what I use and highly recommend. The ceramic filter has been around for a long time, but I’ve yet to see it bested for efficiency and longevity.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
I liked the idea of this filter. I think it is more practical that the survival straw(for more than one person) With the family to think of, I believe that this will be a better option for them. Supplying a decent amount of potable water rather quickly.

I just thought I would share this for people that haven't seen it. There is a lot of talk on this forum about having safe drinkable water.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Hi there, I my opinion the biggest sources of bacterial pollution are failing septic systems and pet wastes. In rural areas, you can usually add livestock waste. In some areas, wildlife contributes their own pollution. Each year, health inspectors focus on a handful of watersheds in Kitsap County. The fact that local waters are growing cleaner in the face of expanding development must be testimony to their success. If you want more information about your question visit the website which is given below it will help you www.jnblabs.com...
Hi there, in my judgment Ceramic tiles are made from refined clay and other material. Maintenance is important through routine cleaning with mild soap and water. If you have some stains to remove, try a few of these suggestions to get your tile looking new again.
1. Clean the stained area with plain water and a soft cloth. Dry thoroughly.
2. Put on gloves. Use these to protect your hands even if the product is considered natural or non-toxic.
3. Mix borax and lemon juice together on a disposable plate or bowl. The consistency should be a paste-like substance. Rub onto the stain and allow it to dry completely. Rinse the ceramic tile with water and repeat until stain is gone.
4. Use a mixture of a vinegar and salt to make a paste. Apply to the rust stain and wait 4 to 5 hours and then rinse with hot water. Repeat as necessary.
5. Consider purchasing a Lustrous Italian cleaning kit. Apply to area with a moistened, soft cloth. This Lustrous Italian will remove the stain and not scratch surfaces.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
www.avonsoft.com...

Very similar to the british Berkfeld ceramic / silver filter, you can buy spare filter candles from Berkfeld and make your own they are only about $20 each.

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tinhatman
Also check out Survival Straw. Works great and is portable. Stick in the river/lake/flood/pond of choice and suck.

You can find them for about $23 US on most sites.

Just 1 warning about using the LifeStraw here in the USA.

External Source

For those of you considering using LifeStraw™ for outdoor adventures in the continental United States, beware that the common "beaver fever" (Giardia lamblia infection) is caused by an organism with 5 micron spores, which are resistant to iodine.

Another External Source

The filter does not currently remove Giardia lamblia, but the company is working on this issue.

Yet Another External Source

The LifeStraw currently does not filter out Giardia lamblia, a common parasite (making it a bad choice for U.S. backpackers looking for a way around boiling their camp water), but Vestergaard Frandsen says the company is working on solving that problem.

I do not know if they have taken care of the Giardia yet but I remain cautious of the LifeStraw until then. I would hate to be out in the wild one day and have to endure Giardia on top of everything else associated with wilderness survival.

This ceramic filter though seems extremely promising for us in the US. I am thinking it may be worthwhile to rig a carbon filter to filter out the larger particulates first so that it will not clog the ceramic filter as fast or possibly another combination of filter to run along-side this ceramic one? The ceramic filter does claim that it filters out Giardia!!!

Anyone have some suggestions to really make this filter be worthwhile for us in the US???

Ultimately, I would prefer the LifeStraw if it did filter out the Giardia. Does anyone know if they have successfully taken care of this single flaw about the LifeStraw???

posted on Jan, 12 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
If the SHTF, we always keep a Brita in our fridge. Wouldn't boiling the water, add drops of bleach or iodine do the trick? Run it through the Brita for taste, etc.

Every household should have bleach and some iodine. Boiling is the easiest method. I use the Brita everyday and have a large stash of filters. Much better tasting than what comes out of the tap.

top topics

join