It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To stop car theft residents should permit stop and search anytime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   

To stop car theft residents should permit stop and search anytime

wtnh.com

New Haven (WTNH) _ Police say careless drivers are to blame for the recent rash of car thefts in the Elm City.

Leaving your car running with the keys in the ignition for just a few minutes could cost you your car. ...

The City of New Haven is part of a national "Watch Your Car" program. They will give you a sticker to put on your car windshield. It allows police to pull over your car at any time and if the driver is not supposed to be in the car, they will arrest them.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I know it's a voluntary program you have to sign up for but I can't help but wonder how long it will be before this is included in the fine print at the bottom of registration forms as a mandatory policy.

wtnh.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

the state of maryland has had a program like this for years once my friend was driving his moms car at night to go to the pharmacy to get some nyquill and was stopped, searched and arrested . his mother who the nyquil was for had to get him out of jail and get her car out of impound. all because she opted in to the anti theft program and it cost her over 100 dollars in impound fees.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
What if you let someone borrow your car? i suppose that'll involve wasted time and phone calls to see if you really did let them borrow it. Or what if the car thief is smart enough to take the sticker off before they drive away?.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Original_Sin

Yeah, I hadn't even considered that. Just rip the damn sticker off.

As in krill's example I guess letting anyone use your car is out of the question.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Your worried about your car getting broken into or stolen. So the police stop and harrass you. And it volentary.

this doesnt make any sense at all.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I can see it now. let me see your license sir. the person pulls it out and gets shot.

just like that man in NY did LOL

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:10 PM
link   
This reminds me of the cops going door to door wanting you to voluntary allow them to search your children's room for weapons.

Now they want you to just let them pull your car over anytime without probable cause?

I don't think so, homie don't play that.

Its another clever way to have us voluntary give up our rights.
I think I'm old enough to report my car stolen and then they can look for the tag of my stolen car.

What makes them think the car thief wont peel the sticker off when they steal the car?

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Digital_Reality
This reminds me of the cops going door to door wanting you to voluntary allow them to search your children's room for weapons.

You know, I bet a lot of parents are looking at this and thinking if they signed up the car their teenaged kid drove they could keep tabs on them.

Signing up your kids car for random stop and search is not all that different from parents wanting to RFID their kids for safety.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Pffft!! The only time I had a car stolen, they used a rollback!!

I want a sticker that allows the government to be searched......they seem to be stealing a lot more than my old car !!

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Anybody dumb enough to sign up for this program deserves all the harrassment they get. Just let them implant you with a chip already and go back to your sheep pen quietly.

new topics

top topics

join