It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bobby Fischer dies at 64

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Bobby Fischer dies at 64

Fischer became the first American world chess champion when he defeated Boris Spassky
of the Soviet Union in a legendary encounter during the Cold War in 1972.

Former Russian chess champion Garry Kasparov said Fischer would be remembered
as "the pioneer, some would say the founder, of professional chess" and
called his death "very sad news.

CNN Headlines

I watched and loved the movie "Searching for Bobby Fischer".
It was a great movie which was a hollywood movie based
upon Bobby's life. This movie also caused me to get involved
with chess which I still play occasionally these days.

However, I bring it up today because of Fischer's beliefs. He
also was a true conspiracy theorists who had eccentric quirks
which included his apathy of the US Government even though
he was a citizen of the US til he renounced his citizenship
and moved to Iceland.

One of Bobby's last interviews:

In recent years, Fischer became better known for his outspoken criticism of
the United States. Interviewed by a Philippines radio station hours after the
September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, he allegedly called reports of a plane
hitting the Pentagon "wonderful news" and said American foreign policy had
provoked the attacks.

I only mention that last part for one reason.
Ron Paul has the same opinion: that the 9/11 attacks
were provoked by our own government's foreign policy.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   
A very sad day indeed. This supposedly implies that the Fischer vs. Karpov rematch will never see the day of light.

I am now reading and applying to the board "LEARN FROM BOBBY FISCHER’S GREATEST GAMES" by Eric Schiller. A lot of these plays that he makes are unbelievable. Some good stuff; makes chess the spectator sport that it is,

What Robert Bryne did for pool; Bobby Fischer did for chess. Although Fischer's dead; his games will be read, remembered and applied for decades to come.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I thought to mention that I worked with Eric Schiller at the London Times World Chess Championship in 1992, when Gary Kasparov defended against Nigel Short. I was there for the full two months at Simpson's, and played Gary in the Savoy Theater at Blitz 5 minute chess after the match concluded as he retained his title. For your information I lost two positionally close games on time. I am master rated.

In a very exclusive note you will hear nowhere else, I just spoke with Nancy Edmondson, the wife of the late USAF Colonel Ed Edmonson, who noted that was glad when he moved out as a house guest in New York in the early 1970s. It is not what you might think, you see she had to cook for him night after night, because Bobby would not go out for dinner with Ed and mingle with the other Grandmasters. He would stay there and study chess, he was really always improving, always getting stronger.

I got to know Ed after he retired to Hawaii, where his wife had her family. He played chess in local tournaments. One of the stories Ed told me and some other players at the club, was that when he was managing Bobby at Iceland he buttonholed the top Soviet chess official, saying "We have Bobby hooked up to a supercomputer in New York, and you are going to lose, lose lose!" The Soviet official was taken aback, he believed him! Talk about psyops.

Then there was the gem of a story that when Bobby was playing Taimanov in the final game of their match, it was adjourned. Col Ed was an expert rated player, strong in clubs but no match for strong masters and above. He said "what if he moves 41. Rxf6," and Bobby scolded him saying "he loses a rook." The next day Taimanov obliged, and did exactly that! In his later years he tried to contact Bobby, and he said "he is trying to be more obscure than Morphy."

Morphy retired from chess becoming a recluse, after beating almost every great chess player in the world during mid 1800s, but ended up passing away in a bathtub.

One cannot defend many things that Bobby Fischer said, and the way he said those things. But as one Grandmaster player-writer stated, "Bobby Fischer, maybe he really is nuts, but when he sits down at the chessboard, he is the sanest man I know."

[edit on 18-1-2008 by SkipShipman]

join