It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney and Christians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 01:28 AM
link   
Taken from Jeff Fulner from ElectRomneyin2008.com

Based on Exit polling from MI, NH, and IA (as well as real vote tallies from the three states):

Total voters thusfar: 1,226,000
Total “Evangelical/”"Born Again” voters: 465,150

Total non-Evangelical voters: 760,850
Evangelical Numbers
Percent of total votes cast that were from Evangelicals: 38%
Evangelical Voters by candidate:

Huckabee — 31%
Romney — 31%
McCain — 21%
Thompson — 6.4%
Paul — 5.5%
Giuliani — 1.6%
I think many would be surprised to find out that as many Evagelicals have chosen to vote for Romney as they have for Huckabee. Romney has definitely proved that he can get the “Evangelical vote.”

Non-Evangelical Numbers

Percent of total votes cast that were from non-Evangelicals: 62%
Non-Evangelical Voters by candidate:

Romney — 38%
McCain — 33%
Paul — 9.1%
Huckabee — 7.9%
Giuliani — 5.7%
Thompson — 3.4%
Yes folks . . . the appeal for Huckabee to non-Evangelical voters is LOWER than Ron Paul’s. OUCH!! Huckabee definitely HAS NOT proven in any contest thusfar that he can get non-Evangelicals to support him in large numbers. This does not bode well for Huckabee from Feb 5th onward (let alone how he could compete in a general election).

For all the talk of who can unify the three legs of the conservative base we are seeing living evidence that someone already is. Romney’s supposed weakness among religious social conservatives/Evangelicals isn’t bearing out in the votes cast thus far.

Roughly 1 out of every 3 Evangelicals who have cast their vote thus far have cast it for Romney.

Roughly 1 out of every 13 non-Evangelicals who have cast their vote thus far have cast it for Huckabee.

And therein lies the difference.

Mike Huckabee’s sole purpose in this race right now is to dilute Romney’s access to social conservative voters so that McCain can win and choose him as VP. There, I said it.

Jeff Fuller

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Well, you seem to want to tie politics in with the church. I think that when it comes to running our country religion should for the most part be on the back burner. Huckabee just plain out scares me with some of the crazy religious things he has said, like "changing the constitution to favor god" or something like that. Romney is way to religious as well. He also favors staying in Iraq forever which is and was a mistake. There is nothing wrong with church/religion and God but it should not run this country. Take a look a countries like Iran, it is run by a bunch of religious freaks and they try to enforce everything in their Koran. I dont think that religion should be forced upon people and that to me is what some of these candidates want to do.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by SteveAndrew

OUTSTANDING research and post...

Starred and flagged my friend...

I had no idea the Christian Right would support Mitt as they seem to be doing. While I agree with the other poster that religion has no place in Politics, the truth of the matter is life is not always as it should be. People will vote with religion on their minds and that is a simple fact.

Good to see some are bringing common sense to the table...

Semper

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 12:10 PM
link   
By the time the conventions roll around, the religion of the candidates will be the furtherest thing from the voters mind.

As always the Economy will be front and center. The candidate that can convince the people that he has a "plan" will get the nomination on both the GOP and dembs side.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Baked: Now, I am showing this (I did not write it) to show how why Huckabee is winning. Because he is winning all the Evangelicals and just like McCain they rely on other parties (independents, democrats, etc) other than real Republicans. Which is why Giulliani and Romney are the real Republicans and have a better chance in states where people can't cross over and vote.

I agree, religion should not and isn't a focus in any campaign. Unfortunately, some do and instead of voting on the base of issues they base it on the person's religion, ethnicity, looks, etc.

Whaa: Romney was a buisnessman and a good one. If he can spin it in his direction he'll be the nominee, I hope

[edit on 18-1-2008 by SteveAndrew]

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by bakednutz
Huckabee just plain out scares me with some of the crazy religious things he has said, like "changing the constitution to favor god" or something like that. Romney is way to religious as well. He also favors staying in Iraq forever which is and was a mistake. There is nothing wrong with church/religion and God but it should not run this country.

I second that emotion .... a star for you

I was beginning to wonder if anybody was gonna mention that.
As I was thinking the same thing reading the original post.

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:45 PM
link   
I just heard something on Glenn Beck that made a whole lot of sense. He said the media is just eating Huckabee up, putting him on a pedestal. So if and when he gets the nomination, they go through his sermons and find something where he rants about homosexuals or something else. Thus, immediatly writing him off, getting a sure win for Obama or Clinton in the General Election.

Now, this may have been common knowledge to everybody and I was the last one in on this. But, isn't this a further hazard to Huckabee on his race to the White House? Or can he write it off?

new topics

top topics

join