It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Harper to Williams: I don't need Newfoundland to win an election

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Well at least thats what Williams is claiming. Premier Williams claims that Harper said it to him at a meeting on November 30. He didn't disclose it till now in hopes that some form of compromise(re:money) could be reached. Williams figures he did it to goad Williams.

www.theglobeandmail.com...

I tend to believe Williams on this. It is well known that he and Harper have been at odds for a while now. Harper also hasn't come out and publicly denied it, although the PMO has refuted the claim. Harper's disdain for "have-not" Atlantic Canada is well known. I'm sure you all remember the comment's from him about Atlantic Canada's "culture of defeat". As well, Williams is a true Tory whereas Harper is a Reformer/Alliance politician dressed in a Tory tie.

It'll be interesting to see where this goes in the coming weeks.

[edit on 17-1-2008 by GAOTU789]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I read about that. It wouldn't surprise me one bit. Harper hasn't made any effort to hide his disdain for the Premiers. He can't even be bothered to give them a formal meeting with an agenda, just two dinners since he was elected. Shouldn't our federal and provincial governments be working together?

It's true though, he doesn't need Newfoundland to win another minority. They only have 7 seats and of those, only two are Conservatives. If he lost every Conservative seat in Atlantic Canada (NB, PEI, NS, NFLD), he'd only be down eight seats.

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Duzey
I read about that. It wouldn't surprise me one bit. Harper hasn't made any effort to hide his disdain for the Premiers. He can't even be bothered to give them a formal meeting with an agenda, just two dinners since he was elected. Shouldn't our federal and provincial governments be working together?

Can you honestly blame him? The premiers can't even hide their disdain for each other. All they end up doing is fighting. Alberta and Ontario complain that they give too much to the rest, the rest complain that they don't give enough. And then there is Quebec...

posted on Feb, 15 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Rook1545

Yes, I can blame him.

I know that the premiers are a bunch of whiny babies, but we elect those whiny babies to safeguard our provincial interests. We send a lot of money to the feds, the least they can do is pretend to pay attention to our provincial leaders.

new topics

top topics

join