It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Emergency Warning For Siberia (Minus 67 Fahrenheit)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 06:16 PM
link   
When they issue an emergency warning because of cold temperatures in Siberia, you know it's got to be serious. If there's any place on Earth where they're used to cold weather, it's in Siberia. Minus 55 degrees Celsius (minus 67 F) is extremely cold. These conditions can lead to power outages and even destroy buildings. They say the extreme chill is expected to last until January 21st.

Emergency warning for Siberia as temperatures plunge

Expected temperatures of as low as minus 55 degrees Celsius (minus 67 degrees Fahrenheit) in Siberia prompted weather warnings from Russia's Emergency Situations Ministry on Wednesday.

The ministry warned the unusually cold weather could kill, cause frost-bite, cut electricity to homes, disrupt transport, increase the rate of car accidents and even destroy buildings across Siberia.

[---]

The freezing temperatures have also caused overloading of electricity grids because of heaters being switched on. That caused cut-offs to thousands of homes in the regions of Irkutsk and Tomsk, state media reported

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Other links:
News24.com: Siberia warned of big freeze
Emergency warning for Siberia as temperatures plunge

I've experienced -42c myself (-51c while I was in a car). At these temps, you can throw a cup of hot coffee up in the air and the coffee will turn to dust before it hits the ground.

[edit on 2008/1/17 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 06:23 PM
link   
I just made a thread on snow and minus 24 celsius temperatures in the Middle East and was told this was nothing "new".

I'm glad this thread popped up, because according to the news the cold spell in the Middle East originated in Siberia.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Wow. Im in Alaska and in the middle of winter we get to NEGATIVE 40 F for days on end. We are experiencing a warm spell right now...its negative 4 F ;P

Usually they let the guys working the flightline (military) go home once it hits NEGATIVE 50 F. Yep, they work outside in these temps here.

We have our own power plant on base, powered by coal. We have yet to loose electricity....even when it -55 F

Taken not too long ago:

[edit on 17-1-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by monkey_descendant

Actually, what you posted was new, so ignore the member who laid into you. He obviuosly didn't read the links or even care too.

Here is another thread about extreme low temps in C. Asia/ ME

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   
thats insanity man....

i thought it was cold here in ohio

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 06:56 PM
link   
So according to our so called scientists now.... their so called global warming has been turned into global cooling. I don't believe anything these guys say anymore. Its all a load of crap.

These kinds of temperatures are crazy. Where I live I have seen it as cold as -69C back in the early 90's. Mind you that was in a blizzard and with the windchill... but even here in saskatchewan temperatures of -40C + aren't uncommon at all.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by CPYKOmega

If you actually have listened to anything they've said, you'd know this is expected and it's been called "Climate Change" for about a decade now, not global warming.

In short, a warming of the earth leads to glacial and ice pack melt. This in turn lessens the salinity of oceanic currents, causing them to change or stop. This in turns affects the distribution of warm air and weather to regions on earth, causing major changes in weather patterns.

Ironically, global warming, in the classic sense, would lead to a new Ice Age.

It isn;t as simple as "Earth get warm, man bad"

EDIT: A good example is to look at the long/lat of the UK compared to, say, Northern Canada. We're on the same, but have drastically different weather, due to the Gulf Stream carrying warm air/water north from the Carribean to the N Atlantic. Without the Gulf Stream, the UK and N Europe would be like Siberia.

[edit on 17/1/08 by stumason]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I knew this was the case, but I couldn't describe it exactly.

Lately there has been an great increase in cold in lots of places, even here in the city where it snowed the other day. Strangely it got really warm the day before it snowed, early Spring warm.

[edit on 17/1/2008 by Nyorai]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Thanks for that info. I have to admit ignorance on the topic of climate change as I haven't really put much thought into it.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:18 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

yes but he's talking about -55 celsius which I'm sure is colder than -55F. Although I don't know how much colder farenheit is because I've never thought in farenheit.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by monkey_descendant

Here you go:

C to F converter

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

thanks!

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Here you go guys. I think this is the smoking gun.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Compare the October 31st and November 30th images to the January 3rd image. There seems to be a very pronounced disruption of the gulf stream around 60W.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Just one more proof of global warming for it should be at least -70F this time of year.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
That is amazing. I cannot even imagine what that cold would feel like. As far as the man made global warming, that is a load of crap. There are so many other factors to consider when it comes to the climate of our earth.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
I'm leaning with what Indy mentioned. That's some very interesting information...

Gulf Stream related?

That would be proof of global warming - if the Gulf Stream slows down (which carries warm water under the ocean) parts of the Norther Hemisphere would get pretty cold because of a decrease in ocean salinity from fresh water being released from the melting ice caps, which is how I THINK it would work. But that might not be what's going on here...

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Hmmm. Seems like freezing Siberia is also a good place to "re-educate" violent young kids and teach them to behave. Germany now sends a kid to Siberia for being violent and attacking his mother. Now he'll have to chop wood in order to stay warm...

German teen in trouble shipped off to Siberia

A troubled German teen is spending nine months in remote Siberia as part of efforts to turn him away from violence, officials said Thursday.

The 16-year-old had been diagnosed as "pathologically aggressive" for behaving violently in school and attacking his mother, said Stefan Becker, head of the youth and social-affairs department in the central German town of Giessen.

[---]

Youth services are experimenting with so-called "intensive educational experiences abroad" amid bad-tempered debate in Germany over how to tackle youth crime

---

"If he doesn't hack wood, his place is cold. If he doesn't get water, he can't wash."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Nine months...

Other links:
Violent German youth sent to Siberia
That's how you deal with teenage yobs! Germany sends violent teen to Siberia

[edit on 2008/1/18 by Hellmutt]

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
well, 9 months in prison will only teach him how to be a better criminal. It's not like this won't be a learning experience for him and locking someone up isn't more humane than sending them to Siberia...

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by bakednutz
That is amazing. I cannot even imagine what that cold would feel like. As far as the man made global warming, that is a load of crap.

Please read other posts in this thread. If the temps are rising on average on out planet, which they seem to be, that doesn't mean that global weather patterns' aren't getting distorted in a way that leads to local areas of colder air.

The real meaning of the report is not "holy cow, it't -55C!". As some other posters here, I've experienced temps in that range. It's tough, but survivable. The real message is: "The Soviet-built infrastructure is old and less reliable year after year. Out power generation and heating facilities aren't adequate. Buildings are not optimal for that climate. We are screwed."

posted on Jan, 18 2008 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I was snowmobiling in -42 a few years back in Michigan. The strangest thing was that it was sunny , crystal clear and completely silent. No birds or anything out when it was that cold.

mikell

top topics

<<   2 >>

join