It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow & 'rare cold snap' in the middle east!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:13 PM
link   
Apparently it's snowing in the Middle East with temperatures near -16 celsius and some people have died from the cold (and faulty heaters).

news.bbc.co.uk...

news.bbc.co.uk...

mod edit in title, formerly
"snow in the middle east!"

[edit on 18-1-2008 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
and people dying in their cars from minus -24 degrees: news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by monkey_descendant

do a search this isnt new

thread closed

even though im not a mod

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I wonder if this has any relation to the increased ice in the north this season.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MurderCityDevil

if you read the article you'll see this is new

Yes there has been snow in the middle east, but not this much and not such low temperatures before.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The first article is 2 weeks old at least.I remember reading about the first snow ever in Bagdad in this article. BBC keeps storys up along time with no time stamp of the articles publishing. I never saw the second link though.???

[edit on 17-1-2008 by dntwastetime]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

The Iraq one is new. All the stories have time stamps on them, they're not hard to find.

The one you might be thinking of from a couple of weeks ago would be extreme snowfall across central Asia and parts of the ME, including Iran and Afghanistan:

Thread here....

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I saw the stamp on the top smarty pants. I thought it just flashed todays date there. I have seen storys sit on BBC world for weeks. The claim of "first snow in Bagdad" was made several weeks ago. The story is accurate but had bits of old sentances mixed in.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

holy craponolie, the 2012 shift is happening a bit too early

are the indigos ready?

i was saying its nothing new as to the post from the snow fall that was reported, that really isnt new either

it was just the amount

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by dntwastetime

Hardly several weeks. seeing as the first snow fell on Friday 11th January.

Baghdad Snow

After enduring nearly five years of war, Baghdad residents thought they'd pretty much seen it all. But Friday morning, as muezzins were calling the faithful to prayer, the people here awoke to something certifiably new: snow.

Although the white flakes quickly dissolved into gray puddles, they brought delight, an emotion rarely expressed in this desert capital snarled by army checkpoints, divided by concrete walls and ravaged by sectarian killings.

"For the first time in my life I saw a snow-rain like this falling in Baghdad," said Mohammed Abdul-Hussein, a 63-year-old retiree from the New Baghdad area.

"When I was young, I heard from my father that such rain had fallen in the early '40s on the outskirts of northern Baghdad," Abdul-Hussein said, referring to snow as a type of rain. "But snow falling in Baghdad in such a magnificent scene was beyond my imagination."

[edit on 17/1/08 by stumason]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Edit out

[edit on 17-1-2008 by dntwastetime]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:21 PM
link   
It would be rather ironic if the movie: The Day After Tomorrow was prophetic. What was it that the climatologists or whomever said in the movie and in real life? Would you prefer roasting to death instead?

We obviously survived the last ice age. Back then men supposedly lived off the herds and just followed them to their graves and natures freezer. Maybe some of this is natures last gasp of winter. A casual winter cycle returning would be less alarming though.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

The movie was based on science, but sped the process up for the sake of a decent movie length. The actual time taken in the film was a few days, but in real life, it could take years.

top topics

join