It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online gamer murders rival clan member

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Online gamer murders rival clan member

www.theregister.co.uk

A 33-year-old Russian gamer from the city of Ufa was killed by a member of a rival online clan after virtual violence provoked a fatal real-life scrap, Russia Today reports.

The 22-year-old alleged assailant has apparently shown no remorse, and refused to justify his actions. His fellow Coo-clocks, meanwhile, "continue to harass the family of the murdered man, threatening to kill his sister, who hasn't turned on the computer for days".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Well, this only goes to show how much the isolation of the digital age is having an impact on people's perceptions of reality. It's clear from the family's statement that they are just as confused about this as anyone else.

At one point, fantasy used to be an outlet for pent up aggression and etc. Now it seems these role playing games just add more aggression to an alter ego that isolationists develop to avoid dealing with the real world.

Pretty shocking and sad path we are headed down.

www.theregister.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Online gaming has not skewed reality as you seem to be proposing here. The problem is not the gaming, or being on-line. The problem is there are morons wherever you go. Online or otherwise, people are people.

This isn't like some Dungeons&Dragons or Vampire Masquerade cult I don't think. People get pissed off enough to kill eachother at football games, hockey games, stc.. Even parents at little league games. I've actually seen a parent come out onto the field and pound a little kid into the ground, because that kid had tacked their kid a split second after the whistle. So from this we see that all games can incite violence.

Furthermore, online communication is no different than any other. People can get so angry during a telephone conversation that they decide to go out and kill someone.

An interesting find, but not really surprising. Online gaming has not detatched anyone from reality, only given a new forum for wackos to utilize.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I blame Putin, for no other reason than his own ruthlessness towards opponents, including having critics murdered, is fostering this mentality in a country that is rife with evil.

Other than that, I seem to recall a rash of real-life murders associated with Dungeons & Dragons back in the day -- that be the 80's for you youngins....

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by scientist

Look I get absorbed in video games just as much as anyone but this?
I've always looked at video games such as CounterStrike as training, and as a way to desensitize people to the idea of extreme violence. When I was younger I used to hold the opposite view, that video games didn't teach violence..That people were people. But as I studied the psychology of violent videogames I realized that there is, in fact, a clear connection between these games and some peoples' violent outbursts. This is just insane. I noticed there was no mention of an investigation. What is going on with that?

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

I wouldn't be so sure of that. There is actual physiological proof that violent media can alter one's brain chemistry:

This is your brain on violent media

You can't compare it to board games.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
If one is engaged and focused so much in a certain reality than they can became greatly attached to that reality. I have experienced this with serious MMORPG addiction. The ideals of this online world replace the ones you held previous, and it can become very influential. It is, come to think of it, like brainwashing. Hmm...

Away from the indulgences of MMORPG or video games I am much different.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
It sounds to me there is more behind this than a video game. I have a friend who grew up in Russia till he was 22 yrs old, and he says in order to survive in Russia you have to commit crimes. He says atleast 90 percent of the population does some sort of crime to get by. So how know what the real cause is, like the article says the murder is not speaking.

On an other note what does this have to do with conspiracy? I do like catching some interesting tid-bits from around the world but there are other web-sites for this kind of reading. I come here to discuss conspiracys and this doesn't seem like one to me.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
People have killed each other over games since we've had games to play. Poker games in the wild west. Football games in Europe. Now video games.

Hey, at least we don't have gladiators actually killing each other for sport anymore (well at least not where I live).

I don't like it when entertainment is blamed. The responsibility should be put on the individual who committed the act, not the game he/she was playing.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
the difference is, with games these days, especially MMO - it's not just role playing a predefined role, but you actually create an entire persona to reflect your personality moreso than any other interactive gaming experience so far, even beyond the role playing of D&D. I mean people are getting married, divorced and killing each other over MMO games, because they get so lost in their virtual lives, it starts to compete with their actual lives.

Its not gaming, or even violent gaming to blame really, but the isolation.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   
omg people are going to jump on the bandwagon videoa games are the cause of all violance.

the civil was bloody to they musta been playing those games to.

People are crazy doesnt matter if you see a murder watch one on tv or play one in a game.

No game willc hange who you are.

You are who you are.

he was just a violant person who liked gaming.

not a gamer who turned violant from his game.

TV and video games and stories and books do not change who you are.

sorry.

I can read a thousand murder novels and watch saw 4 everyday forever it will not make me violant.

you are who you are period sorry

those studies are bs.

if your going to murder someone its you not a damn video game.

god except responsability for yourselfs.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
I've always looked at video games such as CounterStrike as training, and as a way to desensitize people to the idea of extreme violence. When I was younger I used to hold the opposite view, that video games didn't teach violence..That people were people. But as I studied the psychology of violent videogames I realized that there is, in fact, a clear connection between these games and some peoples' violent outbursts. This is just insane. I noticed there was no mention of an investigation. What is going on with that?

You may be right. I know that if I saw a wood elf or an ogre walking down the street I wouldn't look twice since I play so much Elder Scrolls.

Anyway, there have always been people who act out aggressively after verbal disputes. This case just happened to involve a video game as a catalyst rather than stepping on someone's shoes or bumping into someone walking down the street.

If you can show how video games alone (not the personality of the gamer) were responsible, I'll eat my hat. And I have a big head of dredlocks, so I have a mighty big hat.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:47 PM
link   
It is not the games fault, it is the few idiots who take things to the extreme. I've played all types of video games and RPG's all my life and I have never beaten anyone, shot someone, or killed someone. Man is responsible for his own actions. Also, I've played Dungeons and Dragons for about 8 years and it is not a cult thing. Any game itself isn't responsible for the acts of a few disturbed people who commit crimes and either blame or use a game as justification.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by behindthescenes
Other than that, I seem to recall a rash of real-life murders associated with Dungeons & Dragons back in the day -- that be the 80's for you youngins....

Propaganda from christians. Thats all that was.
Millions have played D&D, maybe 20 killed anyone.
It wasn't the game, it was the mental state of the people who would have killed somebody even if they were into mini-golf.

I seem to recall tens of thousands of murders associated with religion.

I also recall just last year a kid who went on a killing spree, he was associated Abovetopsecret.com, therefore by the logic presented by some in this thread,
this website leads people to cold blooded multiple homicide and suicide.

[edit on 17-1-2008 by Legalizer]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
again, its not the violence in the games, or the games themselves.

rather, its the fact that people are spending less time with others, and more time with their computers / game stations. so while they may not be learning how to kill, or developing a taste for blood, they are missing out on developing actual, practical social skills.. this social ineptitude can only be hurting, especially in cases like this.

So stop making this straw-man "video game violence is not an issue!" crap. It has nothing to do with violence, everything to do with compartmentalizing every aspect of society.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Another thing to think about is this is Russia and everyone is trying to look at it with their US or other non-Russian country views.

Why is this important to say? Well because Russia is an extremely dangerous place to live, and some say it’s from an attitude like Putin’s’, but as ruthless as he might get it only increases his popularity because the Russian population is and has always been a rather hard and ruthless group of people.

They are ruthless in everything even something as innocent as gaming…

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Well, I can't. Because I'm not a psychologist...I can only go by what some of them say. This issue is by no means a consensus. But I do believe that video games such as this offer SOME level of desensitization to the user about death. And you know what...If you did see an ogre walking down the street, would you freak out?

new topics

top topics

join