It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GM Says New Fuel Requirements to Add $6,000 Per Car

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   

GM Says New Fuel Requirements to Add $6,000 Per Car

www.reuters.com

Congress passed a new energy law in December 2007 that requires automakers to increase fuel economy across the industry to 35 miles per gallon by 2020 -- up 40 percent from current levels.

"We've done the research and it's going to cost us $4,000 on some vehicles and $10,000 on others, with an average of about $6,000," Bob Lutz told reporters at the North American International Auto Show.

"That cost will have to be passed on to consumers," Lutz, a long-time vocal critic of federal fuel regulat
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Come on now, we're talking about this having to be done by 2020, not next year!

I believe this is GM's response to the Federal Government mandating that they do this!

They probably figure that they can get the public on their side by putting out this sort of announcement and scaring the public about the price of new cars in the future, and hoping the public will pressure the government into lowering the mandated MPG.

I'm sure that in the next five to ten years there will be leaps and bounds in R&D that will enable vehicles to go 35 MPG.

Either that or they just figured out that they can raise the prices of their future vehicles and point at the Federal Government and say it's their fault.

www.reuters.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I was under the impression that Europe already had a much stricter standard already. I can't believe GM is still in business... it must be exclusively soccer moms and gangstas keeping them in business. Who the hell knows?

join