It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BA 777 crash at heathrow

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2008 @ 06:35 AM
link   
It could have been either IR type which are used on various planes to protect from shoulder launced missles or maybe radar(I believe AF1 has this). I am 99.999% sure IR would not interfere with any FADEC. Radar type would not emit unless a known threat was encountered. This type includes those encounterd from either air to air missle or ground launched (such as SAM). So I don't think that theory will hold much water.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

The hero pilot who saved 152 lives in the Heathrow crash landing is planning to quit British Airways in disgust at the way bosses have treated him.

Sunday mirror

Not only have they halved his wages but they reputedly been smearing him behind his back whilst publically saying he was a hero

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
As well as the above story in the Sunday Mirror there was also a small piece stating that they were looking into whether a device on Gordon Brown's official car could have caused the problem's? they said that the car was fitted with a device that would jam any radio activated bomb's and they were looking into whether this could have caused what they described as a "double backfire" (unfortunately this piece doesn't appear to be on their website?)

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
The wing spar failed. Um, ok. And how exactly does a wing hold together if a wing spar snaps? How you came to that conclusion after watching a low resolution video on youtube beats me. How did you? The common consensus is a flap actuator failure, but I'm not going to claim anything.
. As this has only happened on a single aircraft, it hardly warrants a grounding of one thousand aircraft. Neither does the scavenge pump. Until the report comes out, these arguements in favour of banning the 777 are trivial at best.

[edit on 20/3/2008 by C0bzz]

It takes a lot for the FAA to ground an aircraft, just look at the Boeing 737 rudder issues, 2 aircraft crashed killing all onboard.

posted on May, 12 2008 @ 05:05 PM
link   
The AAIB is saying that it was a restriction in fuel flow from the tanks to the pumps. There was low pressure in the fuel flow at the entrance to the high pressure pumps. The cavitation damage was fresh in the pumps. They still don't know what CAUSED the restriction though.

posted on May, 13 2008 @ 04:43 AM
link   
AAIB Bulletin

Parameters recorded on the Quick
Access Recorder, Flight Data Recorder and non‑volatile
memory from the Electronic Engine Controller (EEC)
indicate that the engine control system detected the
reduced fuel flow and commanded the fuel metering
valve to open fully. The fuel metering valve responded to
this command and opened fully but with no appreciable
change in the fuel flow to either engine.

Extensive examination of the aircraft and detailed
analysis of the recorded data have revealed no evidence
of an aircraft or engine control system malfunction.
There is no evidence of a wake vortex encounter, a bird
strike or core engine icing. There is no evidence of any
anomalous behaviour of any of the aircraft or engine
systems that suggests electromagnetic interference. The
fuel has been tested extensively; it is of good quality, in
many respects exceeding the appropriate specification,
and shows no evidence of contamination or excessive
water. Detailed examination of the fuel system and pipe
work has found no unusual deterioration or physical
blockages. The spar valves and the aircraft fuel boost
pumps were serviceable and operated correctly during
the flight.

The high pressure (HP) fuel pumps from both
engines have unusual and fresh cavitation damage to the
outlet ports consistent with operation at low inlet pressure.
The evidence to date indicates that both engines had low
fuel pressure at the inlet to the HP pump.

The lowest total air temperature
recorded during the flight was ‑45ºC, and the minimum
recorded fuel temperature was -34ºC. The specified
fuel freezing temperature for Jet A-1 is not above
‑47ºC; analysis of fuel samples taken after the accident
showed the fuel onboard the aircraft complied with the
Jet A-1 specification and had a measured fuel freezing
temperature of -57ºC.

www.aaib.dft.gov.uk...

Very Interesting.
I guess it's still possible for it to be icing, as it was only RECORDED to be a minimum of -34C... I want the full report.

The scavenge pump doesn't have anything to do with anything, the -200ER in question is NOT a -200LR or -300ER which has the scavenge issues.

[edit on 13/5/2008 by C0bzz]

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 03:19 AM
link   
personaly i heard that gordon brown's car was below the flightpath of the plane and the electronics that they use to counter missiles etc were enough to shut down the planes electrics and bring it down. johny

posted on Jun, 13 2008 @ 07:59 PM
link   
reply to post by C0bzz

i hate flying actually i fear flying and if i have to i fly BA cuz there pilots are great the flight is smooth and take off and landing is very quite i only take 777 for trips from europe to middle east or 747 for the us, but now after this crash i really need to know what went wrong or ill never fly again so please the truth complete truth that the least i expect from BA.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Ice in the fuel they reckon:

Linky

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
www.flightglobal.com...

UK investigators believe that ice was the source of the fuel-system restriction which led a British Airways Boeing 777-200ER to experience a loss of engine power on approach to London Heathrow in January, and crash just short of the runway.

In an interim report on the accident today, the Air Accidents Investigation Branch has issued three safety recommendations, including one directed specifically at Rolls-Royce Trent 800-powered 777s.

The AAIB is recommending that US and European regulators - in conjunction with Rolls-Royce and Boeing - introduce "interim measures" to reduce the risk of restriction in Trent-equipped 777 fuel-feed systems caused by icing of water in fuel.

Law suites > that way please - thats a certified `risk` when flying trip 7`s.

posted on Sep, 4 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
On the BBC as well, don't aircraft have a filtering system for their fuel that has a water trap build in? i know a lot of fuel injected car's do.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:07 PM
link   
The problem appears limited to the Trent 895 series engines. They run hot oil next to the fuel in the fuel oil exchanger. This lets the heat warm the fuel, and the cold fuel to cool the oil. The problem is that under the right conditions, the heat isn't enough to keep water ice from forming, creating a restriction to the exchanger that causes fuel starvation. It happened on a Delta flight in November as well, but they were able to recover the engine in flight.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
strange
777 could mean pan/satan
BA is 10 in chinese
all strange like the last 8 years.

posted on Feb, 9 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Latest news on this makes it look like it was a build up of ice blocking the fuel lines and filters that caused this crash?

BBC

<< 2  3  4   >>

join