It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists Clone Human Embyos

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Scientists Clone Human Embyos

www.time.com

Scientists in California say they have produced embryos that are clones of two men, a potential step toward developing scientifically valuable stem cells.

The new report documents embryos made with ordinary skin cells. But it's not the first time human cloned embryos have been made. In 2005, for example, scientists in Britain reported using embryonic stem cells to produce a cloned embryo. It matured enough to produce stem cells, but none were extracted.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Huh, cool. We are now cloning humans. Something I am personally for. I think it will save lives. A lot of lives.

Anyway, this just came out in the news, so I thought ATS would be interested...

www.time.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Yeah, it may be cool from one perspective but this is something that can really get out of control in a hurry and once you get to that point you can bet there will be no turning back.

Are you ready to open up a whole new can of worms?

Soon we'll be herding cloners for the sole purpose of using them for body parts. Body Parts R Us?

This will prove to be a perfect example of science doing more harm than good.
Man is not ready for this yet.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

its such a touchy subject, so many pros and cons what do you really do?

me? i would just walk away

but then again if it were to save my or someone i know life then theres that

still creepy if anything

well have to see

its amazing to me all these articles of cloned meat, milk, human embryos, how long have they already been doing this?

thats the scary part

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Would you deny all the people this could help because of problems which you can possibly foresee on the horizon?

Definitely deprive men now, for POSSIBLY future problems?

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:24 PM
link   
We had a little arguement at work today the anit cloners thought that you could have a porterhouse in a day and it was going to be grown in vats. I'm too tired from a real day at work to argue now.

mikell

apc

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   
I'm all for making headless clones simply to be hacked up once needed! But that'd be an awful waste of space. And it'd be just another stump to feed.

I don't know enough about the process. Does their stating these embryos didn't produce stem cell lines mean the embryos failed shortly after creation?

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
If you haven't seen the movie "The Island" then please do. It is 100% true. The US Government has been cloning humans in secrecy for a 100 years.

[edit on 17-1-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81

Would you deny all the people this could help because of problems which you can possibly foresee on the horizon?

Definitely deprive men now, for POSSIBLY future problems?

It would be better if we could clone our own cells to fix our own defects and diseases instead of relying on cells from complete strangers.

From religious, racial and cultural standpoints, these are yet other topics of debate that are bound to come up.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE
If you haven't seen the movie "The Island" then please do. It is 100% true. The US Government has been cloning humans in secrecy for a 100 years.

100 years? c mon now really

name one person who is/was a clone or atleast someone you think

and dont say someone famous

when it comes to conspiracies, its always someone famous, this, that, or what have you

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ALLis0NE

First, let me ask you for a source to your information.

Second, I actually, would not doubt that. With as long as they've been working on stem cells, I definitely don't doubt that the gov't has been involved in human cloning for awhile already.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Yes, the religious people (at least most of them) WILL have a strong viewpoint in the matter.

For some reason, it seems that most of the ones I've heard are basically telling people what GOD approves of and not. Pretty interesting how they know.

I honestly don't see how you could really be against it if it saves lives. If it saves lives, wouldn't that make it moral?

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I don't think human cloning is designed to clone WHOLE humans, but rather clone individual body parts like a heart, liver, arms etc. I agree that cloning whole humans is something that should be heavily regulated. But if you want to create a human why not just do it the natural way? It's much easier and cheaper, not to mention more fun!
If you end up with twins, that's pretty much the equivalent of cloning.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ALLis0NE

well, i don't agree with the 100 year deal, my gut tells me this has been going on for some time....10 years, maybe 20.

there are far to many scientists out there with big hitters with limitless cash. this would be a huge breakthorugh. clone people and do different tests on them.
something like the island where they never see the 'real world' so they don't know what they are missing.

we could see what 'people' would be like on instinct alone...clone different races of people, different heights, different genetic factors, etc, etc....
teach this one everything you could possibly imagine....teach the other nothing. teach one to be a pacifist and teach another to be violent....

this could go on and on.

i have no evidence but my gut. my gut is pretty big and i trust it...

i do think there are human clones walking around out there. when i say out there i mean in a private facility...
could be anywhere.
is the military working on it? down in the basement of area 51 along with the aliens....who knows but i think it is definately going on.

we're supposed to think that they stop at sheep, horses, monkeys and carp??
puuhlease

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cthulwho
I don't think human cloning is designed to clone WHOLE humans, but rather clone individual body parts like a heart, liver, arms etc. I agree that cloning whole humans is something that should be heavily regulated. But if you want to create a human why not just do it the natural way?

sometimes the natural way don't work and it wouldn't really be a clone.

i don't think i am totally on board this human cloning thing but i am 100% all the way behind cloning/growing organs and body parts....
my father in law has MD. if he could have some sort of muscle transplants in his legs maybe he could walk.
i have degenerative disc disease...if i could get my discs cloned then maybe i could live my life main free.
i know the clone disc might still have the ddd but something has to be done to kick start it. i herniated mine and it started to crumble.
i could just be careful and barring any accidents i would be without the pain.

i think this could and should be done...the cloning i mean

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Boondock78

especiialy since how naive society really was back then, it just doesnt seem like a plausible statement or a reality

ford didnt even get it right until the model A

(or i coud be wrong, about the ford)

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:09 PM
link   
i hate double posts, but I like doubledeckers, tacos that is

[edit on 17-1-2008 by MurderCityDevil]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Soon we'll be herding cloners for the sole purpose of using them for body parts. Body Parts R Us?

This will prove to be a perfect example of science doing more harm than good.

Funny, I've always thought of that as a benefit of human cloning.

As for cloning people for 100 years....

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

I am not against it if it will save lives as you claim.
You are seriously overlooking the inevitable by not recognizing that this, like everything else, is a double edge sword.
Every issue we face, no matter how severe, always contains an element of irony. You may fix a problem here but you unknowingly produce other more severe problems elsewhere.
This is sweet irony at its best because this too will be abused and taken for granted by those you currently hate.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 08:42 PM
link   

so to clone or not to clone
that is the question..

i see a 'body farm' as a positive thing...juat my warped, mental opinion

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join