It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ice returns as Greenland temps plummet

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Ice returns as Greenland temps plummet

www.cphpost.dk

While the rest of Europe is debating the prospects of global warming during an unseasonably mild winter, a brutal cold snap is raging across the semi-autonomous nation of Greenland.

On Disko Bay in western Greenland, where a number of prominent world leaders have visited in recent years to get a first-hand impression of climate change, temperatures have dropped so drastically that the water has frozen over for the first time in a decade.

'The ice is up to 50cm thick,' said Henrik Matthiesen, an employee at Denmark's Meteorological Institute who has also sailed the Greenlandic coastline for the Royal Arctic Line. 'We've had loads of northerly winds since Christmas which has made the area miserably cold.'

Matthiesen suggested the cold weather marked a return to the frigid temperatures common a decade ago.

Temperatures plunged to -25°C earlier this month, clogging the bay with ice and making shipping impossible for small crafts, according to Anthon Frederiksen, the mayor of the town of Ilulissat, where Disko Bay is located.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I know, I know. All you people that believe in global warming are going to say that this extreme weather is due to global warming. Its unbelievable that anyone in today's world does not see that "GLOBAL WARMING" is a scam, a complete scam. Whats more is that people on here don't see the greater conspiracy. Governments are controlling your lives if you let them control everything through the idea of Global warming. Stop being lemmings!!!!!!!!!

www.cphpost.dk

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by traderonwallst

Stop being lemmings!!!!!!!!!

www.cphpost.dk

Your lemmings analogy is perfect and IMO quite accurately describes those who have rushed to the conclusion that global warming exists and even more "lemming-like" that mankind has caused it and is therefore doomed.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 01:11 PM
link   
It is the La Niña weather phenomenon.

NASA Observes La Niña: This 'Little Girl' Makes A Big Impression

“With this La Niña, the sea-surface temperatures are about two degrees colder than normal in the eastern Pacific and that’s a pretty significant difference,” says David Adamec of NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md. “I know it doesn’t sound like much, but remember this is water that probably covers an area the size of the United States. It’s like you put this big air conditioner out there -- and the atmosphere is going to feel it.”

reply to post by centurion1211

Lemmings... only if you believe in Disney fairytales.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: White Wilderness Lemmings Suicide

Lemming suicide is fiction. Contrary to popular belief, lemmings do not periodically hurl themselves off of cliffs and into the sea. Cyclical explosions in population do occasionally induce lemmings to attempt to migrate to areas of lesser population density. When such a migration occurs, some lemmings die by falling over cliffs or drowning in lakes or rivers. These deaths are not deliberate "suicide" attempts, however, but accidental deaths resulting from the lemmings' venturing into unfamiliar territories and being crowded and pushed over dangerous ledges. In fact, when the competition for food, space, or mates becomes too intense, lemmings are much more likely to kill each other than to kill themselves.

[edit on 17-1-2008 by Beachcoma]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Is it really supriseing that the ice has returned? (it's winter, ice usually does tend to form at this time of year?) the question is will it remain in the summer month's? something i doubt.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

Lemmings... only if you believe in Disney fairytales.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: White Wilderness Lemmings Suicide

Lemming suicide is fiction. Contrary to popular belief, lemmings do not periodically hurl themselves off of cliffs and into the sea. Cyclical explosions in population do occasionally induce lemmings to attempt to migrate to areas of lesser population density. When such a migration occurs, some lemmings die by falling over cliffs or drowning in lakes or rivers. These deaths are not deliberate "suicide" attempts, however, but accidental deaths resulting from the lemmings' venturing into unfamiliar territories and being crowded and pushed over dangerous ledges. In fact, when the competition for food, space, or mates becomes too intense, lemmings are much more likely to kill each other than to kill themselves.

Substitute the mass hysteria on global warming being generated by the eco-nazis for parts of the article you posted and the analogy still holds true. Good find!

reply to post by beachcomba

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Who cares?*

[edit on 1/17/2008 by centurion1211]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by solidshot

Deniers will grasp at any straw to make their case.

Here, have a haystack. Save us all the trouble of "guessing" what other old and worn out "arguments" you folk are gonna put out.

Edit: Here is another bale of hay.

*not impressed*

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 02:00 PM
link   
This is the second article to be posted here citing "ice pack increases" (during winter....there's a clue!) as "proof" that climate change isn't happening.

It's hard to ignore the irony that such people who usually bang on about global cycles and how climate change is natural seem to be happy to look at this single particular piece of evidence only during the winter months and not a whole year. It's quite hypocritical really.

Let's measure how much ice is there compared to 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago on this exact date. Also, let's see how much the sea ice and glacial melts increase during the summer and compare it to previous years.

Yes, the weather is cycles, so let's not ignore that just to try and prove a poitn shall we?

Climate change is happening, people. That is almost impossible to deny.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Climate change is happening, people. That is almost impossible to deny.

Impossible to deny that climate change is happening. Especially since it has been happening since the formation of the earth 4.5 billion years ago.

What the eco-nazis and their minions would have us all believe and run screaming from is that climate change has been caused by human beings who have only had civilization for the last 5,000 years or so.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The lemming reference is just an insult based on faked Disney footage when they shot the little rodents over a cliff in Calgary to make a scene for a bogus documentary. You're the one being led down the garden path of ignorance.

You take one news clip of a slight blip in one small area of the world and draw a conclusion that the planet is not going through a warming cycle. Sorry, but the data from multiple sources points out the FACT that our world is warming up.

Is man contributing to this ?
Yes.

Is it a natural cycle we are adding to ?
Very likely.

Can we continue to destroy the planet without consequence ?
No.

You really need to look at the big picture and not let yourself be fooled by the corporate giants that want you to believe everything is just fine.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Climate change is always caused by an outside influence. Meteors, volcanos, GRB's, you name it. It is not inconceivable that human activity, mainly that of intensely burning fossil fuels for the past 200+ years, has changed the atmosphere to such an extent that climate change could happen.

Using CFC's for only a few decades almost cost us the Ozone layer, so why is this so hard a pill to swallow?

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Ah.. I see you have picked up a couple of straws from the bale of hay I provided. Good horsey!

Climate is Always Changing

which seems to be a variation of this:

This is Just a Natural Cycle

Come on, you must have something more original.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Beachcoma

Note to beachcomba: This is the last condescending post from you that I will respond to. There is nothing setting you apart from the rest of us except your opinions and certainly nothing to justfy placing you on your (self proclaimed) pedestal. One more and it's the ignore list for you "pal".

That said and I hope understood, apparently the truth needs to be repeated until the panic-stricken masses are able to snap out of their "global warming caused by mankind" induced fear long enough to give the issue some rational thought.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Well, I see the battle lines drawn here, why don't you guys do this in the Debate Forum. Should be a good one. I know just the guy to set up the debate.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Let's measure how much ice is there compared to 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago on this exact date.

5 years ago, on this exact date in that exact spot at this exact time, there was NO ICE.

10 years ago? Nope, no ice.

You set the criteria, and your argument failed. Why do people do this to themselves?

Now, funny thing about Greenland, there are fossils indicating that it used to be temperate to tropical forest, all lush and green and warm.

But that was before nasty smokestacks, so it just can’t be!

Right?

All the studies in the world and you still can’t hide from the fact that climatically we have been here before, and without the help of man made carbon.

[edit on 17-1-2008 by cavscout]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Nah. I don't feel strongly one way or the other on this issue to seriously debate it. I just don't like to see the same old rehashed arguments being used by deniers, the same as I don't like seeing the media over-hyping CO2 as though it is the one and only cause for climate change. Same old, same old... it gets tiring.

I would pay to see melatonin and TheAvenger debate each other, though. They both make good opposing arguments when it comes to this subject. Should prove to be very educational.

centurion: Sorry you didn't get the joke. I guess I should have used some smileys in that post. Oh, and thanks for replying in my fly thread, heh.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Reading the article, it would appear that this is hardly the "huge build up of ice" we have been led to believe, but rather just a cold snap at this particular point in Greenland. Warmer weather is predicted to return in the coming days and weeks.

If you read this article, you'll see that Disko Bay is now recently able to open it's harbour's ALL YEAR ROUND, as opposed to only the summer months as it used to be. When it was first settled, it used to be icy all year round. Now it just has a think 50cm crust during a cold spell.

In case your wandering, Disko Bay is where the OP is talking about.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Now it just has a think 50cm crust during a cold spell.

50cm seems significant to me.

I am sure some of our Crazy Cannuk friend can help us here (yes, we aready know you aren’t a walking stereotype and don’t drive snowmobiles to work, at least not year round
)
But I think you could drive on ice 50cm thick.

What would I know? Here in Vegas .25cm on our pools causes panic.

Even if not, you can certainly play hockey on it. In any event, it is significant if for no other reason then that it is the first ice in a while.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Beachcoma

centurion: Sorry you didn't get the joke. I guess I should have used some smileys in that post. Oh, and thanks for replying in my fly thread, heh.

Ah yes, the old "just kidding" defense while furiously backpeddling. The other thread was interesting and I responded seriously. No need for any emoticons.

Back to Greenland, even this article to me is an example of people (wrongly) trying to expand anecdotal experiences and/or relatively very tiny sample sizes into something all-encompassing for the entire planet. Example: just because someone thinks it's warmer this winter at their house, or the ice seems thicker in Greenland doesn't prove global warming - or cooling.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by cavscout

That's 16.5 inches. I'd play hockey on it but I don't know if it would hold a large vehicle.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join