It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - Your Thoughts & Opinions ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 07:00 AM
link   
I just mailed my check for a condo in Myrtle Beach !

I'm heading out the first week of June for 7 days of relaxation and beautiful sunshine !

Has anyone been there and what was your trip like ?

Recommend any good restaurants, shopping etc ?

Thanks
E

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 07:08 AM
link   
"MB" covers a big area. Do you know where it is? North Myrtle, near the boardwalk? South?

Are you close to the beach or on a golf course? Flying or will you have a car?

I don't know how far away you're from, but a little road trip during may not be a bad idea. Savannah is a gorgeous old city (South in GA) especially if you like antiques. MB is golf, beach, partying and seafood mostly... and the "Home of Vanna White"

So it depends on what you like. If memory serves you can't get a tatoo, and the mixed drinks are airplane bottle portions (don't ask).

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Thanks Rant...

I'll be staying in North MB. 2nd row Condo. I didn't want to be right on the beach.

I plan on taking the golf clubs, absolutely no doubt about it, will leave a suitcase behind, if I have to.

We like to window shop, eat, sight seeing is also on the list,

I will be driving there, 13 hrs from Toledo OH !

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Wow, long drive. You probably don't need a road trip then. Yes, North MB is pretty, relaxing, and you'll love the golf.

"Downtown" is young and boardwalky and a must "cruise" at least once if you like that stuff. You can rent the stuff to fish too. There may or may not be a convention. MB conventions tend to be bikers or monster trucks or super stereos but that will all stay downtown so you can escape.

I'd give you restaurant names but it's been years since I did more than drive through, so use your condo guides and judgement. Any locals or staff will know the good seafood, and it might be a little drive.

Pretty much plan on driving places, as I don't think you'll be walking distance to much besides golf and your beach, of course.

Sounds fun...pick me up on the way!!!

[Edited on 12-2-2004 by RANT]

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 10:41 AM
link   
the first 3 days that we're there is the last 3 days of Bike Week !

Looking real forward to that !!:w:

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I hope you like fruit stands and discount swimwear, lol.

Man I have a house on the beach in SC (close to Hilton Head), and I love it there. It's nothing like Myrtle though, nowhere near as crowded. Theyve got a pretty good surfing scene and amazingly have a few "head" shops if you're into that thing. Watch out for hurricanes, they're attracted to MB.

Some of the best golf on the continent is in Myrtle Beach and Coastal Carolina University is one of the biggest party schools in the country. Probably has to do with their PGM program and what a joke the golfing major is.

RANT, Savannah is the bomb on St. Patricks Day when they turn the River green. BUT, I remember reading back in the day that it had the 9th highest murder rate in the WORLD. A friend of mine works in a strip club on the SC side of the river and Savannah is pretty much ghetto from the first two blocks of the city inland. Good nightlife though I must admit, but dangerous.

Either way, Savannah is about 5 hours drive from Myrtle. You may as well go to Raleigh or Wilmington for kicks.

*EDIT: Bike week there is #in' awesome and it's world famous.

- Dirty Dicks crabhouse is in Myrtle, you should check it out. "I Got My Crabs From Dirty Dicks" is the motto

[Edited on 2-12-2004 by insite]

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
thanks for the info, Insite...

hey that Dirty Dicks place.. I assume that they also sell t-shirts with that motto ? I hope so.. have to get one for the misses !

too funny !

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I hope it's up to (and beyond) code.... You do realize that almost every single hurricane ends up hitting there? (and Cape Hatteras)....

posted on Feb, 12 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
yeah, I've thought about the Hurricanes, but don't they usually start later in the season ?

I'll be there the first week of June.

posted on Feb, 23 2004 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Myrtle Beach is a great place man. I live half the year their. If you go there in June the weather is perfect. Its in the mid 80's. Ill outline some of the best places their for ya.

SHopping:
The most enjoyable shoppin but probly the most expensive is Broadway at the Beach. Its one of those outdoor shopping center type things. It has all kinds of shops there like brand name stuff and local stores. It also has some of the best restraunts in the town. They have stuff like hard rock cafe and planet hollywood and tehn like japanese places where they cook infront of you. If you have kids they also have one of the best aqauriums on the east coast.

The best shoppin with the best prices are either Tanger outlets in North Myrtle or teh Factory Outlet stores on 501. These both are outlets of alot of the big brand names like Nike, Tommy Hilfinger, Waterford Crystal, and many more. Send your wife their if you want to be free all day lol. Just make sure to give her cash not the credit card.

And if your in luck the new mall down there will be open in Myrtle near surfside. Its the biggest mall on the east coast or so ive heard.

Oh yea if you are in north myrtle they have another outlet type store called barfoot landing.

Eating: Like i said before the best place to eat are prohably in Broadway. But if you want seafood you ned to go towards myrtles inlet like maybe 30 min away. It has alot of the calabash type seafood.

Entertainment: WEll i dont know what kinda entertainment your into so ill tell you some of my fav palces. If you are at Broadway they have a entire section called celebrity Square which has all the more Adult clubs (not in the XXX sense but not the rave style clubs) But if you are more into the college type clubs you need to head down to Ocean Blvd. That palce has the best club in Myrtle The Freaky Teaky (it was endorsed by MTV if that means anything to u) But Ocean Blv otherwise known as the strip is a fun place to chill anyway. It has the Pavillion amusement park which has rollarcoasters and all that fun stuff. The Strip also has Riply's (sp?) believe it or not which is somtin youll probly like since u come from ats. But the thing most people go to the strip for is the jsut to cruise down the street in their cars and give away beads lol.

If you are north myrtle you might wanna check ahead and see whats at the House of Blues. They always have good concerts there.

WEll thats only alil bit of the fun at myrtle feel free to im or u2u me with any questions you have. Oh yea the huracanes are mostly later in the season cause i get hit by every stinkin one of em lol.

[Edited on 2^23^04 by Quicksilver]

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 02:10 PM
link   
I lived in Savannah for 3 years.
Don't bother leaving Myrtle to go to Savannah. ST. Patties Day is ok, but it use to be better. They started charging for entrance to RiverStreet, Wristbands that cost money to drink. Now, you can only cary one 18oz plastic cup per person....
What was once known as a "Mini Mardi Gras" is just a boaring town party now. Yeah they still do the beads thing but it's just not as fun as it use to be 6 years ago.
The city is dirty, traffic congested, and unkept.
Tybee is the beach that is about 12 mile car ride on to the islands expressway. The Causeway is nice with some seafood restaurants but nothing you would expect for a town like Savannah. Tybee is quiet and small. People call it the "Redneck Riveria". Nothing really to do there either. Frequently while on the beach in tybee people were bitten by huge horse flys.
The really bad thing about Savannah was the insects. The sand gnats, Man they hurt! The Mesquitos are horrible! If ya like to walk around barefoot, dont even think about it, the fireants are everywhere. Try mowing the lawn and accidently running over a fire ant hill hidden in the grass, the size of a kiddie pool. They were everywhere all over me, EWWWWWW...... I hate them.....
Luckily only one bit me and the hose washed the rest off me. Plenty of dangerous spiders like the brown recluse and plenty of piosionous snakes. The place is a marsh, so these are marsh animals and bugs. There are some aligators not many tho. Sometimes, they end up on the golf courses coming up out of the ponds. No real threat tho, they usually run off.

besides the couple good bars and clubs in city market, Bay street, and River Street. The Pirate House was an origional in and tavern used by famous Pirates I forget which ones but I think it was Black Beard used the hidden escape passeege that led to the river.

On the supernatural side, there is Plenty of Ghost places. It was ranked the most haunted city in the usa.
Ghost walks and stuff....Bonaventure Cem is nice.
Thats about it, not worth the 5 hour drive from where you will be.
Charlston or Hilton Head is way better IMO

posted on Feb, 26 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Hey baked,

You ever go to Beaufort, SC? I used to live near there, but actually more towards the coast (well, on it). You ever been to The Gold Club on the Jasper County side of the river? I know the doorgirl there and I could have gotten you some nice fringe benefits. Savannah was the # man, emphasis on the was but still. We could have had an ATS convention at the Marriot. Too bad you're gone...

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by insite
Hey baked,

You ever go to Beaufort, SC? I used to live near there, but actually more towards the coast (well, on it). You ever been to The Gold Club on the Jasper County side of the river? I know the doorgirl there and I could have gotten you some nice fringe benefits. Savannah was the # man, emphasis on the was but still. We could have had an ATS convention at the Marriot. Too bad you're gone...

I've been to Beaufort a bunch of times. Almost a rocks throw from Riverstreet. I have never been in the Gold Club but know exactly where it is.

As for the Savannah Night life when I lived there from 97-2000, Club One, Hip Huggers, Savannah Blues and some club that opened right at the west end of River St in 99 that was a big rave spot. Not too much other than bars. Club One is a gay club that was Meantioned in "Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil". I am not gay, but it was alot of fun and the people were cool.

Tybee has a few bars but nothing great. I use to cook at Fannies on the beach. They have live bands and deck parties. It's a good time but thats about all there was to do there. Alot of people from Savannah go to Statesboro or Jacksonville to party.

Savannahh would be a good place for an ATS convention I agree. You could spend hours exploring the haunted places. 1790 restaurant and inn is said to be haunted and is on the travel channel every year for halloween. Bonniventure Cem is just erie looking with all the spanish moss and it runs right along the Savannah river. The Pirate house is said to be haunted with the ghost of Capt Flint
Here ya go:

Hanging on the walls in the Captain's Room and The Treasure Room are frames containing pages from an early, very rare edition of the book Treasure Island. Savannah is mentioned numerous times in this classic by Robert Louis Stevenson. In fact, some of the action is supposed to have taken place in The Pirates' House! Tis' said that old Captain Flint, who originally buried the fabulous treasure on Treasurer Island, died here in an upstairs room. In the story, his faithful mate, Billy Bones, was at his side when he breathed his last , muttering "Darby, bring aft the rum". Even now, many swear that the ghost of Captain Flint still haunts The Pirates' House on moonless nights.

www.thepirateshouse.com...

I still have friends there and plan to visit again soon.

posted on Feb, 27 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I have been there and I can remeber alot of hot girls...many many hot girls....a life time amount of hot girls lol...yes I recomend it lol

posted on Mar, 18 2004 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I have been to Myrtle and you cannot leave without going to the Croc/Gator farm! It is directly behind House Of Blues, so you can catch a show and a feeding!

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I will be in NMB the first week of August. Crimminy it's expensive there!!!
I can't wait to stick my toes in the sand and have a drink.
It will also be fun to watch my little boy experience the ocean for the first time, he will be barely a year old when we go.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
I just mailed my check for a condo in Myrtle Beach !

I'm heading out the first week of June for 7 days of relaxation and beautiful sunshine !

Has anyone been there and what was your trip like ?

Recommend any good restaurants, shopping etc ?

Thanks
E

I've been there 4 times and find it enjoyable.

I would rather buy a house on the west coast rather then the east unless it's off the coast of florida. Say key west??

S.C hot spots depend on your personality. It's a young crowd place, lot's of nightclubs.

Mind you I was younger when i went all I remember are blurry bits of the clubs I went to.

The beach is cool, water is still cool in march, still went swimming though. Saw a few dolphins.

Ripley's aquarium is awesome, I really enjoyed the tunnel with all the sharks, fish and turtles overhead.

Lot's of mini putt...

For young people, the place is ocean blvd, and a few streets up. I remember the one bar freaky teeky sp? Lot's of people drive up and down the blvd with their cars.

Golfers enjoy the northern part of s.c ... THere is an island off s.c where there are beautiful golf courses.

My dad goes there every year with his brothers and friends to play a bunch of golf.

Good times...... Never a dull moment there... Lot's of friendly people. I remember wanting to move there everytime I left I promised i'd get a place there someday.

I think that good bar I went to was at the boardwalk? possibly broadway at the beach? Some bar in there wish I could remember.
The theme inside of it was like a marina kinda... I know this because I smacked my head off one of the wooden ties on the dance floor.

[Edited on 22-3-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
I'm a golfer myself, I'm looking forward to several rounds while there.

Eating and shopping is next on the agenda. Don't really care much about the ocean or the beach. Just happened to pick Myrtle Beach this year, because neither one of us have been there before.

I think we'll enjoy it, and we are definitley taking your advice, adding suggested places to the list.

posted on Mar, 22 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
like said before never a dull moment. True lies i love riding down ocean blvd (im only 18 so u know) and there is a club down there called the freaky tiki one of the koolest clubs at the beach.

And elevatedone the big mall i was talkin about is now open. That thisng is a freakin monster. its in myrtle near surfised and socastee, its one of the largest malls on the east coast. And if your a golfer better have two things alot of balls (tons of water hazards) and some cash cause its not cheap to golf there.

Face first arggg i forgot about the gator farm that place is kool ive been there once. Do not take small children there lol.

Well elevatedone and observer give me a hoola via u2u when ur goin to be down there and if im there (probly will be moving there for the summer) ill show yall a good time. Peace

top topics

join