It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vaccine 'raises the chance of Aids'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Vaccine 'raises the chance of Aids'

www.timesonline.co.uk

The news coming out of the laboratory was scary. Not only had a promising new HIV vaccine failed, it may have increased the incidence of the disease in previously healthy volunteers. Scientists are now working hard to discover the cause of the biggest setback to HIV vaccine research for years.

The mystery, which has attracted almost no attention but could have huge implications for all vaccine research, centres on the V520 vaccine developed by Merck. The vaccine comprised a common cold virus with three HIV genes stitched into it (the cold virus is used simply to smuggle the HIV genes into the body). The plan, as with any vaccine, was that these harmless HIV genes would goad the immune system into making antibodies capable of fighting off a genuine infection.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Another setback...but this one spread it to healthy volunteers.
Another reason not to trust Merck - I wonder where the trial was held?

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I want to point out that the vacine "raises the chances of getting HIV."

NOT that the vacine gave them HIV.

There is a huge difference. The difference is, IMO, people thought they were vacinated and went out and started being a little less safe than they usually are and the vacine made it easier for them to develope HIV. Thus, the increase in HIV infection. Not that the vacine itself gave them HIV.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Yes, I did misspeak on that. The difference on that is huge. And for the people going out and being riskier than usual - would you if you received an experimental vaccine? It is a valid question though. Is it a true vaccine failure and these people got HIV from behavior or was it a disaster and some people now have HIV from it?
Hell, did they even make sure, 100%, that the people in the trial did not have HIV?

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by harddrive21
And for the people going out and being riskier than usual - would you if you received an experimental vaccine?

I've read interviews from some of the testees. One in particular stands out in memory. He said that he will not stop being safe so he doesn't mind that he may have a greater chance of contacting HIV. It's all in the behavior....again, my opinion.

Is it a true vaccine failure and these people got HIV from behavior or was it a disaster and some people now have HIV from it?

As far as what they are saying, it is behaviorial. But, being a conspiracy theorist who doesn't trust anyone, I have no idea if it's true or not.

Hell, did they even make sure, 100%, that the people in the trial did not have HIV?

Not sure on that either.

Good questions.

new topics

top topics

join