It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Scientists Create Human-Cow Hybrid Embryos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   

UK Scientists Create Human-Cow Hybrid Embryos

www.timesonline.co.uk

Experiments to create Britain’s first embryos that merge human and animal material will begin within months after a Govt watchdog today approved two research teams to carry out the controversial work.

Scientists at King’s College London and the Univ. of Newcastle-upon-Tyne will now inject human DNA into empty eggs from cows, to create embryos known as cytoplasmic hybrids that are 99.9% human in genetic terms.

They will not be used in therapy, and it is illegal to implant them into the womb.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This was obviously a controversial decision to approve this line of embryonic research, and here is its justification and its therapeutic limits:

“Cow eggs seem to be every bit as good at doing this job as human eggs so it makes sense to use them since they are much more readily available, but it is important to stress that we will only use them as a scientific tool and we need not worry about cells derived from them ever being used to treat human diseases.”

If this line of stem cell research brings the results promoted for it, and this firewall is maintained, then we will all be the better for it.

www.timesonline.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:33 PM
link   
this is VERY interesting. is it possible WE are result of same?

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I gotta tell you I'm not the squeamish type, but this disturbs me. I don't think we should be going here.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Anatomic Bomb

Afraid of a cow-human baby?

To be honest, if this does garnish useful results in the realms of stem cell research, I dont see a problem. If this is being done for the sake of doing it, then I say stop it now before its too late.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
At the risk of posting a one-liner - ICK!

This also reminds me of a thread a month or so ago about the Catholic Church recognizing human-animal hybrids as human - maybe there is more to the story that will unfold.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:46 PM
link   
reminds me of that picture of the human? baby with hooves.....

theres a whole lot we've not been told.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

InSpiteOf, I'm with kosmicjack. It's the ICK Factor. There are certain boundaries we just shouldn't violate and this is one of them. I really think we're asking for trouble.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Awww man, couldn't they do anything cool?

Like a human-wolverine mix?

Or a human-bat thing?

Something better than a human-cow.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

Well, ya know, milk prices are up 35%...(not funny, going straight to hell)...

new topics

top topics

join