It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Former GOP Congressman Charged With Aiding al-Quaida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Former GOP Congressman Charged With Aiding al-Quaida

www.rawstory.com

A former congressman and delegate to the United Nations was indicted Wednesday as part of a terrorist fundraising ring that allegedly sent more than $130,000 to an al-Qaida and Taliban supporter who has threatened U.S. and international troops in Afghanistan.

Mark Deli Siljander, a Michigan Republican when he was in the House, was charged with money laundering, conspiracy and obstructing justice for allegedly lying about lobbying senators on behalf of an Islamic charity that authorities...
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit title for clarification]

[edit on 17-1-2008 by gottago]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   

...said was secretly sending funds to terrorists.

A 42-count indictment, unsealed in U.S. District Court in Kansas City, Mo., accuses the Islamic American Relief Agency of paying Siljander $50,000 for the lobbying — money that turned out to be stolen from the U.S. Agency for International Development.

Siljander, who served in the House from 1981-1987, was appointed by President Reagan to serve as a U.S. delegate to the United Nations for one year in 1987.

Words fail. Really, where do you begin with this one?

www.rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 17-1-2008 by gottago]

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Odd. Here's a video of him discussing Fatwas, Muslims, and Christianity all at the same time. I don't know what to make of this guy. Just odd.

www.brightcove.tv...

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Also, CNN's story on this subject. Apparently he's writing a book on bridging the gap between Muslims and Christians. This Islamic organization paid him $50,000 to lobby to get their group removed from the list of potential terrorist organizations. He's in trouble for lying about the money he recieved.

It is unfair to say that he was funding al-Quaida. He wasn't contributing money to the cause, just accepting money to help their cause. Doing what politicians do best. Accepting bribes and getting votes together.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by dbates

Thanks for the additional links and for pointing out that he was on the receiving end of terrorist moneys; I've edited the OP accordingly.

posted on Jan, 17 2008 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by dbates
Odd. Here's a video of him discussing Fatwas, Muslims, and Christianity all at the same time. I don't know what to make of this guy. Just odd.

www.brightcove.tv...

Pretty creepy, especially the Freudian slip where he calls the 21 South Koreans held by the Taliban "Christians," then immediately corrects himself. Also, the proposal to include a few Muslims in your ME study groups to give you balance and perspective, while relying upon the Holy Spirit to guide you to the right decision.

How he got himself that deep, as the counts against him attest, with this sort of fundamentalist "compass"--assuming he's not a complete religious charlatin or schizophrenic--is completely beyond me.

new topics

top topics

join