It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New inflation data explain middle-class squeeze

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Since I registered here I talk about inflation in USA, but nobody listened [except few].
Now when it is official [actually it's over 10%, realistically 16% and maybe even more] everybody comments but still many doesn't understand process.

Originally posted by smirkley
Well the recession is almost over.

A lowere interest rate will re-stimulate the real estate and general economy, and wages will rise as a result of inflation.

Inflation has been stimied by a lack of growth, of which you will see growth being addressed in the last of this month and over the next couple.

By then price indexes will be brought to parity with the value of the dollar, and interest rates will begin to rise to a reasonable level.

Basically what I am trying to suggest, is the economy is bouncing off the bottom as we speak and any incentives brought upon by the pres and/or fed, will help it pick itself up.

Just my thoughts as I am not an economist.

Because you are not economist you shouldn't comment as your comment has nothing with reality or how economy functions

[edit on 19-1-2008 by Vojvoda]

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
Well the recession is almost over.

Well actually far from it, the worst is about to hit the roof and the American consumer pockets.

A lowere interest rate will re-stimulate the real estate and general economy, and wages will rise as a result of inflation.

No, it will only put more stress on the value of the dollar.

Inflation has been stimied by a lack of growth, of which you will see growth being addressed in the last of this month and over the next couple.

Well the lack of grow as it the manufacturing and wealth builders of American that used to be the bread and butter of the nation and supported what used to be the middle class is now none existent thanks to outsourcing and unfair free trade.

By then price indexes will be brought to parity with the value of the dollar, and interest rates will begin to rise to a reasonable level.

We will be turning into a third world nation dependent on welfare and food stamps and he dollar will be acquiring a new name.

Basically what I am trying to suggest, is the economy is bouncing off the bottom as we speak and any incentives brought upon by the pres and/or fed, will help it pick itself up.

Well how do you think that a check for 800 dollars to the poor that usually do not pay much taxes to begin with will help the economy, how more welfare checks and foods stamps will fix the economy?

When what this nation needs is its means to build wealth back into US soil.

Unfortunately what the president is doing is hoping to boost the economy enough to be able to leave office in a better note.

While deceiving the poor and buying them out with one time checks.

Then when the money is already spend , what next.

Just my thoughts as I am not an economist.

I am not one either but I took it in college.

[edit on 19-1-2008 by marg6043]

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Like what Chinese said "Even a thousand miles long road, starts with a small single step"

The ONLY economy superpower People's Republic of China needs markets for it's industry, so they will bail USA for sure. But this bail out will cost the yankz arm and leg in long term.

Yankistan is populated by increasingly dumbed sex obssessed teens incapable of anything(thus losing their jobs ) , and indeed turns into idiocracy

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
actually, i think some very wealthy individuals have known what is happening for along time...when common people are afraid to lose their home, jobs, and tangible assets, they will grab onto anything that will preserve what little they DO have. they will take that low paying job, for fear of not having a job at all, they will not ask for a raise for fear of losing that job. we in this country are slowly being "downsized" as far as wages and living conditions, to match up with the poor and middle class of other less developed countries. why? more for the top 1 percent of the wealthy, coupled with a more pliable, less critical underclass. if you look at what has happened economically since WWII, with the above mentioned criteria, it becomes clear as you trace what has taken place over the last 4 decades.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO
reply to post by Apsaroke

Apsaroke~
You should start a thread with all of your ideas and concepts on how to boost the middle class. I have found everything you have said to be of extreme importance. I don't want it to get buried in a thread...
I think everyone should know and discuss this valuable information and it deserves its own thread PLUS you can get those points up so you can send U2U's.

Thank you, Seewhatudo. Since I'm pretty new to ATS, where would be the best place to start the thread?

Sorry all -- Until I can U2U, I'm stuck having to ask these types of questions through the boards.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Hi Jack,

I took no issue with your last reply at all. I'm getting ready to head out the door and I want to address your reply with proper time.

I'll pull the info over into a new thread tonight when I get home.

The one thing that I want to leave you with for now is this: This is still America and we are still a very powerful Middle Class. Where resources don't currently exist, it creates a vacuum for opportunity to get missing resources started/created. It's just a matter of linking things together, thinking outside of the box, and not accepting "NO" as an answer. I'll get detail specific later this evening.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by krill

I meant "you' more in a collective sense, rather than you personally.

You are already doing it... patronizing small business when you can and I think that is wonderful.

I so sympathize with your situation, no transportation, no assistance from neighbors. Neighbors should help one another. That was one of the things that impressed me when I moved up here to the high desert in Reno... neighbors came over and fixed my roof when high winds blew off some shingles. Just showed up at my door and said we're fixing your roof. I was living here alone then. And every time it snows, one of us living here in this cul-de-sac shovels the snow from the driveways of the seniors that just can't do it themselves. And the seniors sometimes babysit for a single mother a couple doors down who has trouble finding decent child care. In return for the roof repair, I dog-sit for my neighbors when they leave town. I like knowing my neighbors. It's the way it should be everywhere. My philosophy has always been to do what you can to "fix" your own street where you live. It's a lot less overwhelming to think locally. And it works.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by SEEWHATUDO
reply to post by smirkley

Wow, well you paint a much prettier picture than the rest of us

Not painting, just observing and drawing rational conclusions based upon having been through several recessions and/or 'crisis' before.

For the middle class esp. the lower middle class, it really doesnt matter at this point if the economy bounces back or not. The damage has been done and will continue to unravel over the next year. I guarantee foreclosures will skyrocket this year.
why? because people who purchased their homes in the last 5 years have no equity in their homes and now that their homes have dropped in value (in some case below the actual purchase price) they are now upside down and struggling to pay a mortgage that is worthless.
Great credit, bad credit, doesnt matter when you have to decide between paying the mortgage or taking care of your children, putting gas in your car, etc. most will see the writing on the wall and foreclose.

I dont disagree at all. Forclosures going up are a result of many holders being unable to pay the mortgage, or the increases in their ARM's. Many people bought bigger than they could afford, under the premise of property appreciation expectations and wage increase expectations.

Did those who purchase with ARM's expect that they wouldnt go up? Did those who purchase under the premise of 20% or more appreciation a year, expect that wouldnt change?

I have a background in real estate and I am going to go out on a limb and say the mortgage crisis and the real estate markets are not even close to a complete fall out yet, by the end of the year we will get a better picture of the damage that has and will continue to be done.

I dont think you are going out on a limb with that projection. In fact I doubt you could find anyone who would disagree.

Unless a miracle occurs, I dont see an upswing in real estate until at the very least 8 months after the new president has been elected and thats only if we are lucky. Once the upswing starts, it will take another year just to get the market back on solid ground, these homes will have to appreciate at a very fast rate and I really dont know how that will occur. Any inflation that happens will stay far away from the real estate market, people who arent willing to mess up their credit with a foreclosure will be sitting on an unsellable house unless they sell it for pennies on the dollar.

As soon as the home glut is absorbed, and significantly lower interest rates for those who qualify will help turn sitters into buyers again, then prices will begin to stabilize and inflation of 'replacement cost' will begin to effect the values to where they should realistically be. Inflation has been somewhat stimied by fed actions and market corrections, forcing pricing on most things that are catagorically included in inflation figures. But yes, food and energies will force inflation on everything else as it has been occurring for the last year or so. There are regional segments in the US where selling a house is tough at any price, primarily as a function of the regional economic conditions, as well as places like Florida where speculation based construction and investment has finally imploded because, well, it was speculation, and not real-market driven. You dont buy a house to flip and expect a guarantee of return. It just always doesnt happen that way, and if the market implodes, then this is where the risk-to-reward formula sweys the other way.

And of course, there are still very active markets regionally, where a house holds its value, and can be sold in less than six months, as well as low forclosure rates per capita.

As for the cost of living raise you talked of where? will our government demand that every employer must give a cost of living raise? because If the employers havent handed out a cost of living rate in the last 10 years I cant see them doing it well you know, just because. But maybe you are right but I think the 4% yearly raise has become the norm over the last 15 years and it will be few employers that will actually add a cost of living raise into that.

It isnt the governments job or responsability to 'force' companies to give raises, COLA or not. That is a function of supply and demand for good employees. And last I checked, overall US employment figures do not show high unemployment rates.

I dont work for the government, but you can get a job there yourself if you like. They have thousands of openings continuously. All with those great bennies too.

Of course most of those fed jobs require that you are a citizen.

(Exceptions are the Federal Government, they handed out 4% raises + 10% cost of living raises in 2007. How do I know this? Most of my family works for a branch of federal government and I am pea green with envy at their benefit packages, sick days, vacation, all the raises they get and the lack of work they actually do)

I know the gov employees didnt get a 10% COLA. I would love to see those figures without that person getting a grade raise or a promotion in their department.

SALARY TABLE 2008-RUS
(step raises are within your grade, and only merit based)

Locality-Based Comparability Payments and Pay Increases in 2008 for General Schedule Employees

I dont see any 10% COLA's anywhere.

I am civilian, and work for a regular company. I get a 3% COLA on top of my raise. And the raise this year will not be pennies either. Plus the company is hard pressed to find qualified and capable, and willing workers to hire all the time.

At my house, we dont run credit card debt, we dont buy the latest new cars every two or three years, we dont go on vacations we cant afford, and as a result, our household concerns are for our future, and not surviving the present. Yes we worry, yes we do without some things, and yes I am keenly aware of where we stand and what we need to do to protect ourselfs and home.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
we in this country are slowly being "downsized" as far as wages and living conditions, to match up with the poor and middle class of other less developed countries. why? more for the top 1 percent of the wealthy, coupled with a more pliable, less critical underclass.

There is another reason for the elimination of the middle class, and a return to feudalism: The elimination of the nation state in pursuit of a global government. Particularly here in the USA, where a NAU is the next goal, the differences between the living standards of Mexico and the Norte Americano's must be vastly decreased. A single currency requires a single standard of living for the masses.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   

I am civilian, and work for a regular company. I get a 3% COLA on top of my raise. And the raise this year will not be pennies either. Plus the company is hard pressed to find qualified and capable, and willing workers to hire all the time.

Send me an application. I have been out of work for seven months now and lost my apartment. I have been a guard for the past few years and have extensive, varied retail experience. I can do any job. What one man can do, another can do. I put out applications every week and have only had two interviews. I haven't even gotten a call back from any of the fast-food joints that I became desperate enough to apply to and I honestly believe it is because I no habla espanol.

Now I don't have a really long list of credential qualifications, but I am capable of doing anything I am shown and more than willing.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by kattraxx

what your describing is a true community. sadly we dont have one of those here where i live. im allways polite to my neighbors and have given no one a reason to hate me , yet they do whether its because of my condition or religon they still ignore me and when i say hi they reply by not looking directly at me. oh well if they dont like me that just gives me one more reason to not leave my apartment.

posted on Jan, 19 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox

Send me an application.

Now I don't have a really long list of credential qualifications, but I am capable of doing anything I am shown and more than willing.

Of course I cannot and will not post where I work on a public discussion board, but,..

Here are some great resources,...

For those that want a 'pea green with envy' government job, here is a link with over 32,000 of them, different levels and different skills,...
USA Jobs

There are tens of thousands jobs available in the public sector, but to post the links to all the online job banks would be pointless as they are in the hundreds.

One thing to consider, would be moving to where the jobs are.
Its hard, lots of people dont want to do that, lots of people do.

Table A. States with unemployment rates significantly differ-
ent from that of the U.S., December 2007, seasonally adjusted
--------------------------------------------------------------
State | Rate
|
United States ...................| 5.0
|
Alaska ..........................| 6.5
Arkansas ........................| 5.9
California ......................| 6.1
Delaware ........................| 3.8
District of Columbia ............| 6.1
Hawaii ..........................| 3.2
Idaho ...........................| 3.0
Iowa ............................| 4.0
Kansas ..........................| 4.4
Maryland ........................| 3.8
|
Michigan ........................| 7.6
Mississippi .....................| 6.8
Montana .........................| 3.6
Nebraska ........................| 3.2
Nevada ..........................| 5.8
New Hampshire ...................| 3.6
New Mexico ......................| 3.7
North Dakota ....................| 3.3
Ohio ............................| 6.0
South Carolina ..................| 6.6
|
South Dakota ....................| 3.0
Texas ...........................| 4.5
Utah ............................| 3.2
Vermont .........................| 4.0
Virginia ........................| 3.5
Wyoming .........................| 3.1
|

BLS

I have lived in three different regions in as many years, one decent, one exceptional, and one exceptionally dismal. Had work and opportunities in them all with job security and bennies. I moved because I made some personal choices. I do have a career, one that isnt un-attainable by anyone, and one that will assure me at least minimal employment in most economic situations.

We humans have ability to change with our environments if at least for basic survival. That is one thing that evolution gave us, and one thing that makes us a reasonable superior animal compared to the rest of living creatures.

But one must be willing to change when faced with adversity.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   

Actually, I am planning to move to a place where the rent is less than half what it is where I am now, and other expenses are lower too. Federal minimum wage is the same no matter where you go, so might as well start over someplace where it is actually possible to start over.

Hint: headed west

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by LoneGunMan

yeah the nwo is all around us well since its the elite's fault for their greed and the massive power they wield its them there should be put down IMO! and the revolution is a nessesary thing but it could be digital also! if people wake up, i suggest gettin some old vietnam vets with experience in getting fu..ed then some l33t computer people to hack their banks oh how cool it would be to empty rothschilds rockerfellas ect accounts after all money or value is becomming digalt numbers. money has always been the root of power. they them selves have created that system and belive money is power so turn their account to zero, hit them where it hurts

if a 15 year old kid could brake in to the cia files it should be possible !
ofcourse much backup would be neede but if the numbers is gone they are gone and they would be broke and if they use cia fbi agency's becourse they can pay them well if no money they should be offered no help if you take out the head the body slowly dies. wish i was l33t pro hacker i would do anything to hit them hard + its non violent and if the entire system is corrupt well the USA ha so many people with guns . must unite to fight or to put it simply Quote: "bullet's change goverments far better than votes" from movie. lord of war. the prices are slowly riseing here in my country as well gas electricity food you name it so when the crash comes or iflation get bad don.t complain to the goverment or the puppets go to the big fat money cats and take back whats yours or simply start growing stuff yourselves and become indepent of the system. laws only work if people respect them and the ones in power don't so why should we the people?

[edit on 20-1-2008 by a-being-?]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:33 AM
link   
As some one has said, we must change. We may need to leave the cities and return to a more rural, self-sustaining existence.

We made the choice to do so 25 years ago..... We didn't have a lot of money, but we found a 6 acre place that was a 'diamond in the rough', and thank goodness we cleared the land and did most of the 'heavy lifting' when we were young.

It wasn't easy, and it is still a lot of work......Still I would urge others to explore this option, if it's at all possible for them.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by frayed1
reply to post by SEEWHATUDO

Personally, I think their figures are way low......MY grocery reciepts seem to tell a somewhat different story......(and please, check my math, tell me if I'm wrong.....)

Some items have risen as much as 30 percent, while many others are at least 10 % higher...for instance:

store brand veg oil........4/'06 price....1.86
now.........2.43
That's .57 cents diff, or a bit over 30 percent higher than the '06 price.

milk ( Mayfield) ...........4/'06 price......4.28
now......... 5.78

That's $1.50 higher, or 35 % more than the price from a bit more than a year ago, and I've been paying the higher price for several weeks already! ( And the Mayfield is a luxury, I shall have to soon forego....)

You are right. It reminds me of a book I had to read in Graduate School: How to Lie with Statistics, published in 1952 or 1953. Most of the time when the government or the media cite statistics, they usually don't provide enough information to know if the statistics are being distorted.

[edit on 20-1-2008 by CharlesMartel]

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
reply to post by CharlesMartel

Yes you are right, they base their statistics to a general view rather than considering the variables that affect the overall numbers.

posted on Jan, 21 2008 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I can't resist plugging a particular thread after reading the last two posts. If you haven't already, have a look at Economy Sinking Government Knows & Giving Bad Info. There is one member who has sunk their claws into the page and will battle you with all of the powers of disinformation to "prove" that statistics don't lie.

posted on Jan, 22 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
SEEWHATUDO
What will we do when over 1/2 our country has bad credit? Can't consume with all that bad credit but our economy runs on consumerism.

marg6043
It all started when our industries were outsourced to developing countries and not jobs of equal value has been created since then.

I blame our government, I blame our economy, I blame the fat cats.
And they should be blamed, inflation and unemployment are out of the middle class control. Should we just sit back and say " Well we are screwed and it's all our faults"

That is the thing our economy was working fine our nation was one of the wealthiest nations in the world and we controlled exports, but this became dangerous to the elites in the world.

[]It was nothing wrong with our nation until corporate power took over the government, steadily and slowly during the 80s with a culmination during the last 7 years.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join